Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden says Garcia is way in front at quarterback « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 13

goto11

Starter
« : June 08, 2007, 10:56:23 AM »

For all you who thought Garcia was definitely in the lead at quarterback, you're right:

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2007/06/gruden_wants_ga.html

Bucs coach Jon Gruden all but anointed free agent pickup Jeff Garcia, left, the Bucs' starting quarterback while addressing an audience of business people and fans during a question and answer session at a Chamber of Commerce breakfast Friday morning at the Belleview Biltmore.

"There's not a lot of controversy in my eyes right now,'' Gruden said. "If you want to catch up to Jeff Garcia, our young quarterbacks have some work to do. Garcia has done a great job from day one, since he's been here.

"He understands the position, he's moved offenses wherever he's been, and right now Jeff Garcia has a big lead, to me, on the quarterback position. He brings a lot of juice and enthusiasm to our offensive team.

"I'm not discounting that there won't be a competition in training camp. I do believe Chris Simms and Bruce Gradkowski can make it interesting, and Luke McCown is also doing some good things. But Jeff Garcia is clearly the leader in the clubhouse right now, and we are excited about that.''

(I didn't see this posted before, but I can't believe I'm the first one.  If this is a repost, let me know and I'll kill it.)

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #1 : June 08, 2007, 11:04:24 AM »

Color me oh so not shocked.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Groovatron

Pro Bowler

« #2 : June 08, 2007, 11:10:33 AM »

In other news: The sky is blue, Florida summers are really muggy, and the Gators are MNC in college football.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

« #3 : June 08, 2007, 11:11:29 AM »

as in "duh".

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #4 : June 08, 2007, 11:18:32 AM »

And he should be the starter, Chris Simms doesn't have "it" to move this offense like Garcia has "it"

At least the Bucs have a decent back-up QB in Simms, something he'll be for the rest of his career.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #5 : June 08, 2007, 11:22:27 AM »

And he should be the starter, Chris Simms doesn't have "it" to move this offense like Garcia has "it"

At least the Bucs have a decent back-up QB in Simms, something he'll be for the rest of his career.

I honestly think Simms could be an NFL starter in a different system.  Since he's clearly not cut out for this system, I'd rather go into the season with Garcia, Grads and McCown and try to ship Simms off elsewhere.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #6 : June 08, 2007, 11:27:19 AM »

honestly think Simms could be an NFL starter in a different system.  Since he's clearly not cut out for this system, I'd rather go into the season with Garcia, Grads and McCown and try to ship Simms off elsewhere.

he has to play on a team with a ridiculous OL to be successful. His brain doesn't read and react fast enough, it's awful and something that can't be coached.

dodda45

Starter
« #7 : June 08, 2007, 11:33:44 AM »

Simms does not need a new system...he needs a new league with does not allow for d-lineman over 6 feet tall.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
« #8 : June 08, 2007, 11:53:01 AM »

I guess fans around here and local radio hosts aren't smart enough to see that this comment was mostly directed  Simms telling him to get his butt in gear.  Otherwise what is the point of saying it?  Simms has himself admitted that he is struggling to get his arm back into form. 

Gruden makes statements for a reason, not just to shoot his mouth off.  There is no reason to come out and say Garcia is way ahead unless he's talking to the players who are way behind.  This is obvious to me and yet it doesn't seem to occur to anybody else.  I guess I'm just smarter.

Groovatron

Pro Bowler

« #9 : June 08, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »

Well, if you think Simms' arm is the problem you might not be as smart as you think. However, I do appreciate your insight.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #10 : June 08, 2007, 12:58:39 PM »

I guess I'm just smarter.
Indeed. ::)

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #11 : June 08, 2007, 01:08:35 PM »

I guess fans around here and local radio hosts aren't smart enough to see that this comment was mostly directed  Simms telling him to get his butt in gear.  Otherwise what is the point of saying it?  Simms has himself admitted that he is struggling to get his arm back into form.

Gruden makes statements for a reason, not just to shoot his mouth off.  There is no reason to come out and say Garcia is way ahead unless he's talking to the players who are way behind. This is obvious to me and yet it doesn't seem to occur to anybody else. I guess I'm just smarter.

What if I don't give a damn why he said it, does that make me dumb? I like when he does this, you NEVER hear other coahes as honest as that and Simms needs to hear it. Although it won't matter much because he's garbage, so in the end Garcia will win out no matter how pissed Simms gets.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #12 : June 08, 2007, 01:09:11 PM »

Not really a surprise. But until Garcia faces live fire, let's not get carried away thinking he's going to make a significant difference until the help around him, namely the green OL, proves to be efficient.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #13 : June 08, 2007, 01:11:22 PM »

Not really a surprise. But until Garcia faces live fire, let's not get carried away thinking he's going to make a significant difference until the help around him, namely the green OL, proves to be efficient.

No run game, no pass blocking, kiss Garcia's butt good-bye.  It won;t matter if you have Joe Montana back there...with Jerry Rice...

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #14 : June 08, 2007, 01:19:16 PM »

man you're so right, it's hard to get excited about a QB with little to no experience in the NFL. Let's all wait to get excited............oh wait.

Sorry, Garcia will help the OL with his mobility, quick decision-making, and accuracy. I for one am excited to see how much faster pace wise the offense will run with Garcia at the helm. Forgive me since we've had such stellar QB's the past 5 years.
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden says Garcia is way in front at quarterback « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools