Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: USF gets a boost at RB « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

bucnut

Hall of Famer
#30 : July 14, 2007, 05:48:50 PM

Former Lakeland running back Jamar Taylor, who enrolled at Alabama in January but has left the school, said Friday he is in the process of transferring to the University of South Florida.

“Right now, USF is the only team I’m considering,” Taylor said. “When I’m accepted into the school, I’ll say more. I’m going through the process right now.”

USF received Taylor’s release from Alabama on Thursday, said Rick Stumpf, USF’s compliance coordinator.

As a senior at Lakeland, Taylor (5-foot-9, 204 pounds) was rated the nation’s 25th-best running back by Rivals.com after rushing for 1,062 yards and 13 TDs.

Great news for USF! 

NFC South BBS Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#31 : August 12, 2007, 12:25:18 PM

did something happen to ford this offeseason? i think he played HS ball in sarasota. did he get injured in spring practice? 

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#32 : August 12, 2007, 02:49:22 PM

did something happen to ford this offeseason? i think he played HS ball in sarasota. did he get injured in spring practice?

If he did, I don't believe it was serious.  He had a legal issue down in the Sarasota area related to some driving issues (suspended license or something).  My understanding is that he is pushing for the starting nod at RB for the Bulls.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#33 : August 20, 2007, 03:28:13 PM

If he did, I don't believe it was serious.  He had a legal issue down in the Sarasota area related to some driving issues (suspended license or something).  My understanding is that he is pushing for the starting nod at RB for the Bulls.

And it looks like Ford may have one of his lineman from Hargrave Military Academy blocking for him next year. If this kid takes advantage of this second chance and toes the line this could be HUGE for USF ....

Ex-FSU tackle Hardrick wants to play at USF
He still has to find out if he's been accepted academically, but if offensive tackle Matt Hardrick has his choice, he'll be part of the football program at USF for the next four years.

"After going out and seeing their practice, I felt real comfortable. There's a lot of intensity and competition, and I like that," said Hardrick, a 6-foot-5 ,325-pound tackle who was dismissed from Florida State's football program two weeks ago. "I definitely like Coach (Jim) Leavitt, and I appreciate that he's taking into consideration that I'm looking for a fresh start."

Leavitt and his staff are still looking into whether they want Hardrick, who was arrested in his hometown of Orlando in April and charged with misdemeanor counts of trespassing on school grounds and possession of marijuana. Hardrick, who would have three years of eligibility after sitting out the 2007 season, said he's hoping to turn things around on and off the field, having dropped 45 pounds from his highest weight of 370 pounds in Tallahassee......
[/b]

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#34 : August 20, 2007, 03:58:21 PM

Sounds like trouble. Between that huge weight fluctuation and the off field stuff.  But hey we need a few more of those if we're going to compete with big time college football programs. ;)

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#35 : August 20, 2007, 09:32:14 PM

Sounds like trouble. Between that huge weight fluctuation and the off field stuff.  But hey we need a few more of those if we're going to compete with big time college football programs. ;)

It's really a no lose situation. If he comes in, he has a whole year to show he's left the other crap behind. Keep him on an extremely short leash ...... the upside on this is well worth the gamble.

bucnut

Hall of Famer
#36 : August 22, 2007, 08:16:38 PM

I agree BBB, it's a no lose deal for USF.  Sounds like he's ready for a change, and Leavitt won't put up with any **CENSORED**e from him.

NFC South BBS Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#37 : August 22, 2007, 11:13:42 PM

I wasn't implying that they shouldn't take a shot at him.  I just would be hesitant to get my hopes up as a fan that this is going to work out. 

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#38 : August 23, 2007, 10:39:02 AM

I wasn't implying that they shouldn't take a shot at him.  I just would be hesitant to get my hopes up as a fan that this is going to work out.

As a lifelong Bucs fan, I NEVER get my hopes that up on anything sports related ... I just let them play out.    ;)

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#39 : August 25, 2007, 03:13:51 PM

And it looks like Ford may have one of his lineman from Hargrave Military Academy blocking for him next year. If this kid takes advantage of this second chance and toes the line this could be HUGE for USF ....

Ex-FSU tackle Hardrick wants to play at USF
He still has to find out if he's been accepted academically, but if offensive tackle Matt Hardrick has his choice, he'll be part of the football program at USF for the next four years.

"After going out and seeing their practice, I felt real comfortable. There's a lot of intensity and competition, and I like that," said Hardrick, a 6-foot-5 ,325-pound tackle who was dismissed from Florida State's football program two weeks ago. "I definitely like Coach (Jim) Leavitt, and I appreciate that he's taking into consideration that I'm looking for a fresh start."

Leavitt and his staff are still looking into whether they want Hardrick, who was arrested in his hometown of Orlando in April and charged with misdemeanor counts of trespassing on school grounds and possession of marijuana. Hardrick, who would have three years of eligibility after sitting out the 2007 season, said he's hoping to turn things around on and off the field, having dropped 45 pounds from his highest weight of 370 pounds in Tallahassee......
[/b]

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

So much for Hardrick.  According to a Trib article this morning, he couldn't qualify apparently and instead of going to Pearl River CC like Leavitt wants him to he is choosing between some podunk schools (Southern Illinois was one of a I think 3).  Oh well.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#40 : August 25, 2007, 11:06:43 PM

Looks like he wants to play this year ..... Surprised BCC wasn;t in the mix. They've take fallen Gators and Bulls recently ....

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#41 : August 26, 2007, 09:57:42 AM

so is Mike Ford gonna start this year?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#42 : August 26, 2007, 10:30:29 AM

Comments in yesterday's Trib indicated that Benjamin Williams was still the starter, but the competition was fierce.  They actually mentioned 4 RBs total including Ford, the guy that was the starter last season until he was injured and a true freshman (those last two guys names escape me at the moment).  I think Williams is an average back and I can't see him holding off Ford if Ford's any good at all.  Williams seems to be a good kid that plays hard.  He had a big bowl game last year and I'd think that Leavitt would lean towards him out of loyalty if nothing else.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#43 : August 27, 2007, 10:24:56 AM

Comments in yesterday's Trib indicated that Benjamin Williams was still the starter, but the competition was fierce.  They actually mentioned 4 RBs total including Ford, the guy that was the starter last season until he was injured and a true freshman (those last two guys names escape me at the moment).  I think Williams is an average back and I can't see him holding off Ford if Ford's any good at all.  Williams seems to be a good kid that plays hard.  He had a big bowl game last year and I'd think that Leavitt would lean towards him out of loyalty if nothing else.

Plancher was the starter last year who was injured and the other one who was mentioned was probably Aston Samuels, a redshirt freshman.
I don't think it really matters who starts. All the rb's should get a lot of looks, hopefully, in 2 back sets with Ford and one of the smaller backs both in there...

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#44 : August 28, 2007, 01:07:59 PM

Back on topic to the thread, it looks like Jamar got the waiver and will be eligible this year .... On paper, the talent USF has at rb is far and away the best it has EVER been. Gregory is going to have his hands full keeping everyone happy .... Great problem to have.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: USF gets a boost at RB « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools