Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gold Cup 2007 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #15 : June 18, 2007, 10:17:04 AM »

The US team might win a few more games if they fielded chimpanzees. :P

You obviously haven't watched the team this year. They have been great in international friendlies. So far in the Gold Cup, they have outscored their opponents 9-1.

I was joking actually but seeing as you brought the subject up; other teams do not take friendlies seriously, no one cares about the results. 

The US team is a hard working, well-organized 2nd/3rd tier team in the International pecking order.  It is going to be hard challenging the top teams in competitive tournaments because many of the players don’t play in the top leagues.  The MLS is to top European leagues what the NFLE is to the NFL.   Hopefully one day that will change but the chances are it will not because soccer isn’t a mainstream sport in the US.

« #16 : June 18, 2007, 10:25:37 AM »

I know friendlies are like spring training baseball games, but some do get serious, especially games that take place right before a big tournament. The US beat China 4-0 right before the Gold Cup started.

I realize the US isn't up there with teams like Italy, Brazil, England, etc... but they are a fun team to watch. Hopefully they can win the Gold Cup for their 4th time, cause the Copa America begins at the end of the month and the US is not expected to go far in that tournament.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

« #17 : June 21, 2007, 09:22:03 PM »

US beats Canda in the semifinal, 2-1. Very disappointing 2nd half from the USA though. They are very fortunate that the ref totally screwed up the last call, should have been a Canadian goal.  With the US down to 10 men, I have no doubt they would have lost in extra time. But then again, the Canadian player who scored Canada's only goal got away with a couple dirty shots that the ref didn't see or pretended not to see and IMO should have been thrown out before he scored...

That mexican ref wasn't worth a damn. Fudging up what should have been Canada's 2nd goal, not even yellow carding the aforementioned punkass canadian, booking Donovan for a supposed dive, booking the long-haired defensemen, Heduk I think, when he was attacked by the Canadian...

Heduk seem like an integral part of the US team, but now he's out of the final with his 2nd yellow. And the young kid Bradley who has played well all tournament is gone for the final for getting the red card for his only really stupid play of the game. Shame. USA will have their hands full in the final, since they can barely even beat Canada.

BP is right, the US needs some finishers. Donvan's failed goal attempt were he missed the ball and fell flat on his face was laughable. Sure it was a bit of a difficult shot, but a premiere striker would have at least got his foot on that ball, if not put it in the empty net. Eddie Johnson is still not living up to his hype and Dempsey gets too damn indicisive when he gets a look on goal...  The US creats chances, and could have had 3 or 4 goals if they could finish...

All i know is that I'd be pissed if I was a Canada supporter...

« #18 : June 22, 2007, 12:18:38 AM »

USA definitely got away with one at the end. Bradley will be missed in the final. This was his best game of the tournament by far.

The Gold Cup final is Sunday.

USA vs. Mexico
3pm at Soldier Field
TV: FOX Soccer Channel; Univision

BP1

Pro Bowler

« #19 : June 22, 2007, 12:26:02 AM »

US beats Canda in the semifinal, 2-1. Very disappointing 2nd half from the USA though. They are very fortunate that the ref totally screwed up the last call, should have been a Canadian goal.

I don't think the guy who got the pass was the one called offsides. It was the other guy. The call was made way before the pass hit our defender landing at the feet of the guy who shot it. You need to remember that the camera is near midfield, so it might not be a true angle as seen by the ref's asst who flagged the offsides. I'm hoping to see the replays on youtube tomorrow. As for the Canandian fans being pissed, to bad for all 5 of them lol.

I think the US side played very flat today. They might have been looking ahead to Mexico in the Final. I think Mexico was looking ahead to the US as they just won their game 1-0. IMO, we will see a much better US side on Sunday vs Mexico.

USA USA USA USA USA USA ........

Mex-Buc

Rookie

« #20 : June 22, 2007, 03:21:13 AM »

Well it´s going to be a great match that´s for sure  !!!! Heres for a clean and great game !!!       

Vamos Mexico !!! :D

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

« #21 : June 22, 2007, 04:02:18 AM »

Mexico?   We can't lose to a 3rd world country.

BP1

Pro Bowler

« #22 : June 23, 2007, 12:36:30 AM »

USA definitely got away with one at the end. Bradley will be missed in the final. This was his best game of the tournament by far.

Frankie is going to be out too. :(

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #23 : June 24, 2007, 02:13:49 PM »

Man, I'm pumped!  I hate the Mexican team!

Booker

Hall of Famer

« #24 : June 24, 2007, 05:04:46 PM »

USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #25 : June 24, 2007, 05:05:15 PM »

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Booker

Hall of Famer

« #26 : June 24, 2007, 05:06:37 PM »

Should have been 4-1.Two missed open nets by the US

« #27 : June 24, 2007, 05:35:10 PM »

Exciting game and we're off to the championship!!!! ;D

Booker

Hall of Famer

« #28 : June 24, 2007, 05:38:07 PM »

Exciting game and we're off to the championship!!!! ;D

UHHHH that was the championship.

« #29 : June 24, 2007, 05:41:01 PM »

Ummmm, that was the SEMI-FINALS I believe and we play Mexico for the Cup next weekend.  :-
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gold Cup 2007 « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools