Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gold Cup 2007 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#45 : June 26, 2007, 11:13:39 AM

All I know is that I bought a MAN-U jersey when Malcom bought the team. Cool jersey. I also saw where USA beat Mexico (that'll teach 'em to hurl insults at Mrs America!) 2-1 over the weekend.

USAUSAUSAUSAUSAUSAUSA!!!!!

Incomparable sig by Incognito

#46 : June 26, 2007, 03:57:50 PM

Played in a soccer league for about 6-7 years growing up and loved it and was pretty good at it, and my ultimate goal(no pun intended)was to get a soccer scholarship to St.Leo College or Furman University and all that was looking good until, I then turned 16 and began hangin around some 19-20 year olds in a garage band who partied HARD and talked me into their lifestyle exclusively(which meant plenty of weed smoking & beer drinking, and having no part of school or soccer).  To this day I still totally regret that bone headed decision!!  :(

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#47 : June 26, 2007, 04:05:04 PM

Played in a soccer league for about 6-7 years growing up and loved it and was pretty good at it, and my ultimate goal(no pun intended)was to get a soccer scholarship to St.Leo College or Furman University and all that was looking good until, I then turned 16 and began hangin around some 19-20 year olds in a garage band who partied HARD and talked me into their lifestyle exclusively(which meant plenty of weed smoking & beer drinking, and having no part of school or soccer).  To this day I still totally regret that bone headed decision!!  :(

Sounds like the soccer lifestyle to me.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#48 : June 28, 2007, 11:56:32 PM

Team USA got schooled 4-1 by Argentina tonight in their first game of Copa America. They played one hell of a first half though, considering the competition. Score was 1-1 at half. This was Argentina's top squad, with the likes of Crespo, Messi, Riquelme, Tevez, etc... and the US sent out a squad of largely inexperienced players: no Donovan, Beasley, or Dempsey. Only a couple guys that started on the gold cup roster and a bunch of guys who didn't even make the gold cup roster cut. They just ran out of gas in the 2nd half and Argentina scored some goals quickly.

One good thing for the US: That guy Bornstein totally locked down and frustrated Messi in the 1st half. It was so bad that ARG switched Messi to the other side to get away from Bornstein in the 2nd half...of course he ran wild after that against whatever scrub the US had playing on that side..

I think the next game for the US is Tuesday against either Columbia or Paraguay

BP1

Pro Bowler

#49 : June 29, 2007, 12:49:20 AM

Team USA got schooled 4-1 by Argentina tonight in their first game of Copa America. They played one hell of a first half though, considering the competition. Score was 1-1 at half. This was Argentina's top squad, with the likes of Crespo, Messi, Riquelme, Tevez, etc... and the US sent out a squad of largely inexperienced players: no Donovan, Beasley, or Dempsey. Only a couple guys that started on the gold cup roster and a bunch of guys who didn't even make the gold cup roster cut. They just ran out of gas in the 2nd half and Argentina scored some goals quickly.

One good thing for the US: That guy Bornstein totally locked down and frustrated Messi in the 1st half. It was so bad that ARG switched Messi to the other side to get away from Bornstein in the 2nd half...of course he ran wild after that against whatever scrub the US had playing on that side..

I think the next game for the US is Tuesday against either Columbia or Paraguay

I'm not sure I would go as far as saying they were "schooled". As you said they were playing a Team USA made up of a lot of players who were not even backup players last week. It's like those preseason games where one team keeps their regulars in for like the entire game and the other team leaves their regulars in for only 1 Qtr. You expect the team with the regulars to beat the other team. What I'm trying to say is you can only school another team if the competition is on the same level for it to mean anything. Soooooo.....BIG DEAL ARGENTINA! You beat a bunch of backup wannabe Team USA players. That goes double for the old man with the long white hair on their bench who was having a heart attack after every goal.

#50 : June 29, 2007, 01:24:56 AM

For a team like Argentina, who are expected to trounce everyone in this competition, the US held them pretty well in that first half, then it all sputtered in the 2nd.
I think the US will still advance in their group. Maybe a win over Columbia and at least a draw against Paraguay, will give them enough points to advance.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#51 : June 29, 2007, 07:46:01 AM

Did you guys notice that everything seemed to fall apart for the US after Olsen was subbed out? I forgot who the guy that came in was, but he was terrible.

I wish Eddie Johnson had more confidence or killer instinct or whatever. The guy has the speed to beat defenders at any level as he showed last night. He just doesn't seem to know what to do once he gets close to the box. He either passes back, or slows down. So many times last night he would just slow up and the defender would catch him and take the ball...I kept yelling at the TV " Damnit Eddie keep running!"

#52 : June 29, 2007, 09:37:09 PM

Sounds like the soccer lifestyle to me.

Nahhh, because the more I partied the more I began to skip soccer practices and classes, and then eventually I gave up on the whole thing for lack of drive and motivation.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gold Cup 2007 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools