Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: question about Mars and the Bible... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 15

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

« : June 10, 2007, 07:16:45 PM »

...Spent all day today layin around, drinkin margaritas and watchin National Geographic Channel and Discovery HD. My question is...

If NASA comes with HARD EVIDENCE that shows there is or was life on Mars... what does that do to your religious beliefs and beliefs in the bible??

Me being atheist, that would basically solidify to me that the Bible and religion is a huge sham. Just curious what others thought.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

« #1 : June 10, 2007, 07:26:48 PM »

The bible is what will take a hit if it is proven that life exists (or had existed) on other planets. But I dont think that will change anyone's belief in god.

Like I said in the poll I posted like a month ago... Only 33% of Americans take the bible seriously, but the vast majority believe in a higher power.

« #2 : June 10, 2007, 07:41:03 PM »

If NASA comes with HARD EVIDENCE that shows there is or was life on Mars... what does that do to your religious beliefs and beliefs in the bible??

I will then pray to a new God, David Bowie.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #3 : June 10, 2007, 08:25:07 PM »

Most Bible followers will come up with something that justifies it.

In my father's house there are many mansions?

The real question to ask is this:

If there WAS intelligent life on Mars and they left there (due to an environmental crisis)
and came here and then had a hand in our creation and/or, evolution, how would it change
the beliefs of religious folk...

« #4 : June 10, 2007, 08:41:18 PM »

I will never cease to be amazed at how many clueless people there are who are my age or near it. ::)

« #5 : June 10, 2007, 09:00:11 PM »

If there WAS intelligent life on Mars and they left there (due to an environmental crisis)
and came here and then had a hand in our creation and/or, evolution, how would it change
the beliefs of religious folk...

Think of it as The Hindenburg Disaster except in biblical proportions.
 :-

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
« #6 : June 10, 2007, 09:30:52 PM »

There is no life on Mars.  No aliens, no bigfoot, no loch ness. 
I know now why so many profit from scary movies and the paranormal.

ryanbuc1

Practice Squad

« #7 : June 10, 2007, 10:01:22 PM »

Genesis 1: 14 And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

In my opinion, there is no life on Mars, but if there is, I believe God would know about it.  It doesn't, however, mean he has to tell us, i.e., show up in the Bible.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #8 : June 11, 2007, 01:30:46 AM »

There's decent evidence of flowing water on Mars today. So, if that's the case, there is probably
some sort (not intelligent) of life still there. And there is evidence that Mars was once like Earth
at one point in her past. Did life have enough time to evolve into intelligent life? Maybe not. Did
another group of folks come to Mars and is what we see on the surface the ruins of that civilization?
Or is it all natural?

Is it just a coincidence that many of the alleged artificial structures resemble the structures on the
Giza plateau in Egypt?

IDK.

acacius

Hall of Famer

« #9 : June 11, 2007, 11:03:53 AM »

Speaking as a practicing Catholic, it wouldn't affect my faith in the slightest.  In fact, I'd be absolutely delighted if life turned up in one of the more likely places in this solar system.  As I see it, if we found life unrelated to terrestrial life in just one place within this solar system, it would make it seem quite likely that it was a fairly ubiquitous phenomenon.  And that would be fantastic.

Intelligent life elsewhere would raise some interesting theological questions, but I wouldn't consider them bothersome.  Just interesting.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #10 : June 11, 2007, 12:28:43 PM »

To think that in this vast galaxy that holds billions of stars, which is one of billions of galaxies and that we, as a lone planet, are the sole life form in the Cosmos is so egocentric it's ludricous.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

« #11 : June 11, 2007, 05:28:57 PM »

To think that in this vast galaxy that holds billions of stars, which is one of billions of galaxies and that we, as a lone planet, are the sole life form in the Cosmos is so egocentric it's ludricous.

couldnt have said it better myself.

i think finding some proof of life on mars now or past would be HUGE as far as religion is concerned. Just seems like something like that would be very damaging to the credibility of the bible and god.

« #12 : June 11, 2007, 05:34:09 PM »

And the other side of that coin is; WHY can't earth be the only civilized planet and everything else be made of lava, ice, rocks, or just plain dirt with no sign of life, what the hell is wrong with that being just the way things are??  ::)

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #13 : June 11, 2007, 05:42:53 PM »

Because the world isn't flat(as was once believed), the Sun doesn't revolve around the earth (as was once believed). All of the things here on earth came from our Sun, including you and me as well as every element on earth. All stars are suns and follow the same life cycle. What would make anyone think that the trillions of stars would be different. I certainly have no answer basically because I am an inferior human who doesn't have the intelligence to understand everything, hence I have no answers. I have an opinion as do you. I will keep my opinion and respect yours.Man has identified only 4% of the matter in the universe. The rest is 'Dark Matter' and 'Dark Energy". And man doesn't even fully understand that 4%. I think we have a looooong way to go before we state imperically what is and what isn't. In the end, none of us know squat, just like you're dog can't explain the internet.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Snook

Hall of Famer

« #14 : June 11, 2007, 06:10:18 PM »

The Bible has been translated so many times that its true form is far from what we read today.  And its very vague.  That's why so many people can get so many different viewpoints from it. 

I don't take the Bible seriously.  Its a historical book and that's about it.  Its attachment to "God" has long since been lost because of the "editing" of man.  Also, keep in mind there's many different versions of the Bible - some have more books than other, and so on...

Page: 1 2 3 ... 15
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: question about Mars and the Bible... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools