Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: College Football Recruiting « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

Runole

Hall of Famer
« : June 12, 2007, 11:14:01 AM »

Thought this was an interesting take by a Miami commitment Patrick Johnson's comments on meeting with UM, UF ,and FSU. 

link:http://miami.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=681481

Some of his comments from the article:

UM: "He was talking about when I get there that he'll get me on the field. He asked what number I want, and I said No. 7. Kirby Freeman is No. 7, and he said if I play offense they'll take him out and put someone else in there. I'll play some receiver if they need me to."

"When I get to Miami they said I'll get in there and start too, though, that they'll move some cornerbacks around so I can get in there."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UF: While there Johnson met one-on-one with coach Urban Meyer.

"He said I'd be a four-year starter there," Johnson said.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FSU: "Florida State's Mickey Andrews is talking to me," Johnson said. "He says I have to work to start, can't just come and get it."

I must admit that I agree with FSU's approach.  Anyone disagree?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #1 : June 12, 2007, 12:35:22 PM »

just remember that this a 17/18 year old kid.  i think if you interviewed Urban Meyer he would say he told johnson he could be a 4 year starter. 

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #2 : June 12, 2007, 02:20:18 PM »

Yeah, of course FSU DID tell Bert Reed that if he went there over UF they would make him Percy Harvin.  Wouldn't that mean they told him he'd start as a freshmen?   But yeah, FSU surely never tells a guy he'll start! 

LOL.

A funny recruiting story is Derrick Brooks.  He was deciding between UF and FSU.  UF told him they wanted him as a LB and not a S.  FSU said they'd let him play S.  DB signed with FSU.  We know how that story ended.

Of course UF telling this guy he would start might have more to do with the depth chart than anything.  UF is thin on DB's right now.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit  if a top recruit were to start.  Is that wrong?

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #3 : June 12, 2007, 02:47:33 PM »

Why don't you excuse making gators go and scream at Patrick!   That Lying no good Johnson is just gator hating!! LOL

Silly gator boys!!    I post quotes from a recruit and like clockwork you guys come jumping out whining and crying..  Geesh!

Hard to defend the indefensible!!  Keep trying!!   

I thought Derrick Brooks played LB?  Looks like FSU  directed him on the proper path to the  NFL Hall of Fame as a LB.

Thanks for sharing..

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #4 : June 12, 2007, 03:06:56 PM »

No, it looks like FSU lied to him to get him to come there (gee, where have we heard that before?) and then switched him after the fact. Looks like UF knew his future was at LB and told him so. 

I didn't whine and cry at anything old man. I leave that for you.  I simply pointed out how your suggestion that this "FSU approach" you speak of is not true.

And like clockwork whenever I prove you wrong you come back with some "silly gator boy" post.

I guess it is hard to deny Bert Reed's words of promised PT and that he would be "Percy Harvin" at FSU!  Likewise you can't ignore the acts from DB's mouth of being told he would be a S at FSU which was a big factor in his decision to go there!

Thanks for playing!

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #5 : June 12, 2007, 03:54:11 PM »

runole, its easy to start an argument when you only have 1 side of the story.  its a pretty dead issue unless someone quotes Meyer.  and i cant even read the article, is it a miami hurricanes site?

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #6 : June 12, 2007, 03:58:20 PM »

I wonder if he said "you could be a 4 year starter" or "you have the potential to be a 4 year starter"

I am sure Urban just didn't say "sign up and you are our starter from day 1. 

Urban believes in competition.  That has been evident the past 2 years.  Nobody just gets anything.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

« #7 : June 12, 2007, 04:36:37 PM »

Some people don't see anything past their own glazed over eyes.  A story can be twisted any way that a person wants to read it.  I don't care if UF or ony other school said that the kid could be a 4 year starter.  The facts are that positions are earned on the field.  Could he win the job? YES, Will he win the job?  Only time and practice would prove that. 

Runole, sometimes you grasp at straws that are not there.  Your repeated attack on gator fans is childish and annoying.  I am a FSU fan and I do not care for the Gators but there is other things to do in this world then try to stir up issues with fans of other teams. 

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #8 : June 12, 2007, 05:05:50 PM »

Wow.

A sensible FSU fan.

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #9 : June 12, 2007, 05:09:48 PM »

Who said there were any straws to grasp??   I posted something on recruiting that mentioned some Miami recruits comments not mine on a Miami site.

Gator fans go ballistic!   All I said was I agree with the way FSU recruits based on the kids comments about Andrews.

Nothing more nothing less...  Gator fans are just too sensitive...

BucEmUp I post on lots of issues not just UF ones, but I do admit those seem to get the most virulent reactions.

Honestly Ray spends most of his time chasing me around the boards with his usual side kicks ( seldom contributing anything but personal insults directed at me) Now that is childish and annoying!!   I have told him more than once just to ignore my posts!

Alas he just isn't smart enough to take the advice..

Personally, I don't see that much wrong with either Urban's or Miami's approach to recruiting  I just prefer the way FSU does it.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #10 : June 12, 2007, 05:20:25 PM »

ballistic, huh?

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #11 : June 12, 2007, 05:23:28 PM »

LMAO!

Yeah, the FSU approach.  They told Bert Reed he'd start and be "Percy Harvin"  

So which approach do you prefer?The one hand where Mickey says you have to work for it or the other where Bert gets a free pass?

Did I insult when I stated those facts?  I don't follow anyone around I just post on topic I am interested in.  

So which approach Runole?  The one where you work, the one where you get it for free, or maybe the "lying" approach used to swoon DB?

FSU is no different from any school.  They all use certain tactics to get players to come aboard.  For every guy they tell he has to earn his spot there's another they tell he can start right away.  

The fact that you act like FSU NEVER tells a guy he an start immediately shows your arrogance and ignorance.  Especially when Bert Reed says they told him he'd play, and told him at UF he wouldn't.  

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #12 : June 12, 2007, 09:29:59 PM »

Show me the actual quote  by Bert Reed and otherwise you are lying again.  You seldom show any facts just your usual gator drivel..  Post a link and you might have something.

Here is another one  show me anywhere an FSU recruit claimed he was lied to by Bowden?   Surely there must be someone that will step up during his long tenure?

This is what FSU probably stated to Reed... We think we could use you like Florida use Harvin.  There is no way FSU would offer a starting position to anyone that didn't earn it first.  That just isn't the way Bowden recruits.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #13 : June 13, 2007, 12:15:41 AM »

Just as This recruits comments about being a 4 year starter probably aren't  what Urban said verbatim.  It most likely went something like "with our depth you could potentially start right away"  or "you have the talent to be a 4 year starter" 

But of course you spin it like UF lies and FSU doesn't, which is very arrogant and totally ignorant.

So what about FSU telling Brooks he could play safety to lure him? 

That a lie too?

I don't have the Reed link anymore but if you dig around the old recruiting thread you'll see his interview I posted.

As usual you resort to calling me a liar unwarranted.  I didn't lie and I never lie on here and almost always document my facts. Just because I don't dig up a 7 month old article from Scout doesn't mean I am lying.  You can look it up yourself since you have so much time on your hands.  FSU effectively said, UF is loaded, we aren't , you can play right away, there you won't, you can be our Percy Harvin.  You can spin it however you choose, but fact is FSU is no better than anyone when it comes to telling recruits what they want to hear.

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #14 : June 13, 2007, 09:12:25 AM »

Don't have a link??  Figures !  Almost always document your FACTS?  Guess this must be the exception??

Again show me a link of the exact quote by Brooks as once again I am sure you are taking something out of context and deliberately misstating things.  Not unusual for you.

Actually, I believe Brooks wanted to be a linebacker rather than a safety and fought against the move so FSU left him at LB. The NFL projected him the same way but Brooks was just too good of a LB to be put anywhere else.

A perfect example of the same situation is Marcus Sims most projected him a LB but he preferred to be a RB so FSU stated he could be a RB and that is exactly where he is.

You are not Brooks or Reed  and I am certainly not Patrick Johnson.  Neither of us speaks for either of them.

Patrick Johnson's Quotes came from a Cane site and he is a cane commitment.  He made those statements in a Cane sport interview.   Don't shoot the messenger!   I didn't make the statements Patrick did!  I just happen to agree with his thoughts.
He most certainly didn't have to state how each program presented themselves but he chose to share it publicly.

Not that big of a deal..  However, to yourself obviously it is one since you spend time throwing out assertions with absolutely NO Proof! 

HMMM? "FSU effectively said, UF is loaded, we aren't , you can play right away, there you won't, you can be our Percy Harvin."

That sounds like a most truthful statement.  Most certainly UF is indeed loaded at WR  and likewise Reed does in fact have a chance to play right away at FSU and certainly he could be FSU's version of Percy Harvin if he has what it takes..

No need to spin anything I am perfectly comfortable with your last statement.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: College Football Recruiting « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools