Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Packers Are Interested In Bruce Allen « previous next »
Page: 1 2

graypilgrim

Starter

#15 : June 12, 2007, 08:09:05 PM

This situation seems taylor made for McKay. With the whole Mike Vick episode about to come down as well as the Falcons starting to get probably no more than a year from cap hell, McKay can bail out of the job with the Falcons still looking clean and drop into Green Bay with a upcoming team and a wealth of cap space.

He'd look like a genius all over again... ::)

Wouldn't be surprised at all if McKay jumped at the chance to get out of Hotlanta before all the sh1t comes down.

He boogied out of Tampa after screwing up the salary cap so he might as well jump ship in ATL since it appears he has no control there either. BTW  - how many SB rings does Ron Mexico have now?

blitz

Pro Bowler
#16 : June 12, 2007, 08:35:08 PM

This isn't another GM type gig, this is the team CEO so it is one of the few spots where a GM can step up in the world.

Is the Packers' CEO kind of like their owner?

The owners are the team stockholders but the CEO is functionally the "owner" in day to day operations.

Yes, this is why it's the #1 GM job in football. Much more responsibility than other GM jobs; and a 'promotion' of sorts from a standard GM position. I think Bruce and McKay are both very good candidates.

Actually the GM isn't the top dog.  The Chairman is above the GM and really rules the roost.   It's laughable that Allen would even consider answering the phone on this one where the GM is just a number cruncher. 

Green Bay
Head Coach Mike McCarthy
Owner 111,967 stockholders (Green Bay Packers Foundation)
Chairman Bob Harlan
General manager Ted Thompson

bklynbucs11

Starter

#17 : June 12, 2007, 09:52:56 PM

This isn't another GM type gig, this is the team CEO so it is one of the few spots where a GM can step up in the world.

The owners are the team stockholders but the CEO is functionally the "owner" in day to day operations.

Yes, this is why it's the #1 GM job in football. Much more responsibility than other GM jobs; and a 'promotion' of sorts from a standard GM position. I think Bruce and McKay are both very good candidates.

Actually the GM isn't the top dog.  The Chairman is above the GM and really rules the roost.   It's laughable that Allen would even consider answering the phone on this one where the GM is just a number cruncher. 

Green Bay
Head Coach Mike McCarthy
Owner 111,967 stockholders (Green Bay Packers Foundation)
Chairman Bob Harlan
General manager Ted Thompson

Yes Blitz, and he would be taking Bob Harlan's job.

Typically, unless a company has a separate chairman (aka Chairman of the Board) and CEO - they are usually one in the same. THe Packers aren't a big enough operation, don't fall under monopolistic competition and have no reason to delineate the 2 functions (especially because you have to pay both sports top dollar). While it is technically a promotion - its a tricky subject. the CEO is much less involved in football-related operations than a typical GM. Allen seems too interested in the nature of football for this job. But I could be wrong.

The best example I can give is in the Financial services companies since its my field. The CEO is the firm's head, has the most face recognition and earns the most. However, he is typically not as involved in the investment side of the business. Thats typically the function of the CIO (Chief Investment Officer). In some cases (aka Pimco), the CIO - Bill Gross in Pimco's case, earns more than the CEO - but this is rare. So someone who strictly wanted to focus on investment may not be inclined to become CEO and have to manage all other facets of the company if he likes his job specifically.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#18 : June 12, 2007, 10:28:04 PM

The only reason for Allen to take a job in Green Bay is if he doesn't get a vote of confidence from the Glazers.  Something like this may force the Glazers hand to give him a long term contract.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#19 : June 12, 2007, 10:44:54 PM

I agree.

*Detoggles stealth mode*

Bucs fans are fortuante to have/had both of them in charge of the Bucs past/present/possibly future.

*Retoggles stealth mode*

With that said are the Packers worried about TT (Ted Thompson)?  He seems to have a clear vision of what he wants to do with building the team (basically starting from scratch).  Are there doubts about TT producing results on the field?

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#20 : June 12, 2007, 11:19:06 PM

This job is Mike Holmgren's when he wants it. Packer fans are hesistant and are fearful of change. Give them a "familiar" name to get them all warm and fuzzy and they'll never complain. Looks like a similar position to Al Davis in Oakland w/o the GM responsibilities, but you sure know who's pulling the strings.

goto11

Starter
#21 : June 13, 2007, 09:54:01 AM

The guy who mentioned Bruce Allen's name is Ken Herock.  Herock left the Pack on bad terms in 2001, hasn't been affiliated with the Packers since then, and definitely doesn't speak for the club.  He's just saying who he thinks the guy should be, which isn't much more meaningful than who any of us thinks it should be.

skip

Starter

#22 : June 13, 2007, 10:33:34 AM

Gray Pilgrim quote - He boogied out of Tampa after screwing up the salary cap so he might as well jump ship in ATL since it appears he has no control there either. BTW  - how many SB rings does Ron Mexico have now?

Rich McKay has a super bowl ring. I find it interesting that people have a problem with how Rich McKay handled the salary cap here, he had a great core of players and extended their contracts in order to keep them all together. Would those have prefered we dump star players to stay under the cap or keep our stud guys and make a push for a championship, The Bucs have a superbowl ring to show for Mr. McKays efforts.
It is true that we saved money by releasing guys like Warren Sapp and John Lynch however another reason we are under the cap is the same reason most teams are under the cap, last year there was a collective bargaining agreement that increased the cap.

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

#23 : June 13, 2007, 12:29:31 PM

Man that 7 year deal for a kicker sure helped win the SB!

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#24 : June 13, 2007, 12:46:03 PM

I'm confused, where did it say the Packers are interested in Allen? They just mentioned he COULD be a candidate.

niutbbucfan

Practice Squad

#25 : June 13, 2007, 04:25:18 PM

I really don't want to see allen go anywhere because i honestly think that he has done a heck of a job getting us out of the mess that Mckay left us in. We had 25 million this year and i heard another report on buccaneers.com, if i recall it right, that we will have around 25 million next offseason

T

Hall of Famer

#26 : June 13, 2007, 06:06:38 PM

I don't wanna lose another GM without compensation.

blitz

Pro Bowler
#27 : June 15, 2007, 01:12:55 PM

Not sure why anyone would desire that position unless they were born in Wisconsin!  The head coach in GB has always had his hand on the power levers as the fans (team owners) look to him as the face of the organization.   The GM and Chairman have fiduciary responsibilities but the coach answers directly to the fans in that city.   Not like Tampa or most other NFL franchises.   

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#28 : June 17, 2007, 01:08:45 PM

Can we send Gruden with him? Maybe for a couple of 7th round picks.

#29 : June 17, 2007, 03:48:46 PM

you thought we were on a sinking ship greenbay is much worse off. i don't see him going anywhere unless gruden gets the axe. gruden and allen go hand in hand.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Packers Are Interested In Bruce Allen « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools