Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Chris Simms Drops To 3rd On The Depth Chart « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#15 : June 12, 2007, 05:46:02 PM

Simms has started 15 games in his career, Gradkowksi 11. I'm not sure those 4 games mean that much especially since Grads outplayed him last season even with that lesser experience.

Sure, but Simms has been in the league longer, 3 years longer. Having said that you're right, it's not that much of a difference. Let me clearify Dal, who would you rather have as the #2 QB going into the season if they're all healthy?

As bad as Simms has been I'd be more comfortable with SImms as the #2 than Grads. Unless Grads has made enormous improvments.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#16 : June 12, 2007, 05:50:05 PM

Sure, but Simms has been in the league longer, 3 years longer. Having said that you're right, it's not that much of a difference. Let me clearify Dal, who would you rather have as the #2 QB going into the season if they're all healthy?

As bad as Simms has been I'd be more comfortable with SImms as the #2 than Grads. Unless Grads has made enormous improvments.

Grads in all honesty. Simms hasn't really shown me much to have any faith. Grads is a more physically limited players but a better mental player. When I get to my backup I'm looking more for smarts because at that point playmaking is off the table, I just want my backup to stay out of the way.

Grads also forces fewer adjustments on the offense when he shows up- basically he can run Garcia's offense while simms can't.

Also keep in mind that Grads was a rookie last year, historically a QB makes his biggest jump in competence between year 1 and year 2. That means that even in the very generous reading that Simms = Grads last year (and I'd argue Grads was ahead) one would antcipate more growth from Grads than Simms this offseason.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#17 : June 12, 2007, 05:55:01 PM

Gradkowski SUCKS.
Give the kid a chance...last year he and the rest of the team were horrible, but until he is given the time element to be successful in this system, I think you are a little off base with your comment

11 starts isn't a chance? Had he shown some signs of improving, I'd certainly feel comfortable about him @ #2, but even after more than a half-season of play, he really wasn't getting any better, in fact regressing.

And this isn't a pro-Simms stance, it's a genuine fear of having to watch our WR's play punt coverage on his longer, ridiculously errant throws.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#18 : June 12, 2007, 06:00:24 PM

Grads in all honesty. Simms hasn't really shown me much to have any faith. Grads is a more physically limited players but a better mental player. When I get to my backup I'm looking more for smarts because at that point playmaking is off the table, I just want my backup to stay out of the way.

Grads also forces fewer adjustments on the offense when he shows up- basically he can run Garcia's offense while simms can't.

Also keep in mind that Grads was a rookie last year, historically a QB makes his biggest jump in competence between year 1 and year 2. That means that even in the very generous reading that Simms = Grads last year (and I'd argue Grads was ahead) one would antcipate more growth from Grads than Simms this offseason.

I can get down with all of that, you've changed my opinion. I guess it's comfortin wanting Simms as the back-up but honeslty screw it, he's had his chance and isn't a fit for this offense. You make excellent points.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#19 : June 12, 2007, 07:21:02 PM

It shows you the kind of Man Gruden is which is not much of a man, he has no respect for Simms you are crazy if you don't think other players see that. For a guy that pretends to play his cards close to the vest Gruden sure does get diarrhea of the mouth when it comes to Simms. He gives Garcia the respect he never gave Brad, Brad had to compete through training camp, Garcia gets the nod before TC even starts. On the bright side to me it looks more and more like this will be Grudens last season because Garcia is an average QB at best and our offense still sux. It shows me that Gruden can't develop talent,  and can't see beyond his own ego and while he is our HC we will never have a good young QB we will have a bunch of overrated 30 somthings until he leaves...

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#20 : June 12, 2007, 07:24:42 PM

Gradkowski SUCKS.
Give the kid a chance...last year he and the rest of the team were horrible, but until he is given the time element to be successful in this system, I think you are a little off base with your comment

11 starts isn't a chance? Had he shown some signs of improving, I'd certainly feel comfortable about him @ #2, but even after more than a half-season of play, he really wasn't getting any better, in fact regressing.

Depending on how much stock you put in "Draft pedigree", the 49ers didn't think 11 starts was enough of a chance for Alex Smith.  He's finally starting to show real strides to reach "league average" QB going into his 3rd year, and niners fans are excited about their chances to challenge for winning the division.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#21 : June 12, 2007, 07:25:32 PM

It shows you the kind of Man Gruden is which is not much of a man, he has no respect for Simms you are crazy if you don't think other players see that. For a guy that pretends to play his cards close to the vest Gruden sure does get diarrhea of the mouth when it comes to Simms. He gives Garcia the respect he never gave Brad, Brad had to compete through training camp, Garcia gets the nod before TC even starts. On the bright side to me it looks more and more like this will be Grudens last season because Garcia is an average QB at best and our offense still sux. It shows me that Gruden can't develop talent,  and can't see beyond his own ego and while he is our HC we will never have a good young QB we will have a bunch of overrated 30 somthings until he leaves...

I have no evidence to disprove this, but I certainly don't believe it.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#22 : June 12, 2007, 07:28:23 PM

It shows you the kind of Man Gruden is which is not much of a man, he has no respect for Simms you are crazy if you don't think other players see that. For a guy that pretends to play his cards close to the vest Gruden sure does get diarrhea of the mouth when it comes to Simms. He gives Garcia the respect he never gave Brad, Brad had to compete through training camp, Garcia gets the nod before TC even starts. On the bright side to me it looks more and more like this will be Grudens last season because Garcia is an average QB at best and our offense still sux. It shows me that Gruden can't develop talent, and can't see beyond his own ego and while he is our HC we will never have a good young QB we will have a bunch of overrated 30 somthings until he leaves...

cricket...cricket...cricket

blitz

Pro Bowler
#23 : June 12, 2007, 09:31:06 PM

Grads was forced into the lineup as a rookie having been on the bench for just three games.  You don't write the guy off on that especially when he looked better than Simms without even having a moderate understanding of the playbook.

Secondly,  Simms is definately gonna be gunshy since his spleen injury.  In fact he may never achieve his former level of performance or even desire to see 1st string action again.  I seriously doubt Chris will ever be able to take the pounding a QB takes without thinking about what happened to him.   This story can be told thousands of times regarding some of the best in the game who never came back from a devastating injury like Simms had.  It's very difficult mentally to put that out of your mind.   

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#24 : June 12, 2007, 09:55:09 PM

Grads was forced into the lineup as a rookie having been on the bench for just three games.  You don't write the guy off on that especially when he looked better than Simms without even having a moderate understanding of the playbook.

Secondly,  Simms is definately gonna be gunshy since his spleen injury.  In fact he may never achieve his former level of performance or even desire to see 1st string action again.  I seriously doubt Chris will ever be able to take the pounding a QB takes without thinking about what happened to him.   This story can be told thousands of times regarding some of the best in the game who never came back from a devastating injury like Simms had.  It's very difficult mentally to put that out of your mind.   

What would he be worried about?  His spleen is gone.

JC510

Practice Squad

#25 : June 12, 2007, 09:58:54 PM

5 yard routes for everyone

#26 : June 12, 2007, 10:01:16 PM

I think this just lines it up perfectly for a rookie QB to be drafted in 2008

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#27 : June 12, 2007, 10:48:03 PM

Just trade him and get it over with.

I agree.  Enough is enough if this is true.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#28 : June 12, 2007, 11:27:20 PM

Couldn't agree with your more UMguy1999. Add dishonesty and manipulation of players to terrible play calling,  mis-management of talent, lackluster drafts, poor player development, horrible offense, losing seasons, replacing a guy who is fired for bad offense with a worse offense, and the dismantling one of the best defenses in the history of the league for free agents (see: Stuessie/Garner) to the pile of crap in Gruden's short history here .

This whole organization can only begin to get better when Gruden is fired.

We need another quality, character guy that the community can be proud of. The ability to win would be good too

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#29 : June 12, 2007, 11:32:29 PM

It is hard to defend Simms when the Simms' apologists come out of the woodwork. 8)
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Chris Simms Drops To 3rd On The Depth Chart « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools