Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms: "It's Frustrating" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

PewterReportJF

Hall of Famer

« : June 12, 2007, 04:47:19 PM »

Group,

I just posted the Pewter Report Conversation from the June issue of Pewter Report, which will be mailed to subscribers next week, on the front page of www.pewterreport.com. Here is the teaser:

"Tampa Bay QB Chris Simms is 100 percent healthy, but not 100 percent himself heading into training camp. In this  Pewter Report Conversation, Simms reveals that he has developed some bad habits he must shake to beat out veteran Jeff Garcia."

I conducted this interview with Simms last week at One Buc Place, but now that the rest of the local media has talked to him about Jon Gruden basically declaring Jeff Garcia the starting quarterback, we decided to make this PR Conversation free to all Bucs fans as a sample article from our magazine. Feel free to share it with your fellow Bucs fans.

Here is a link to the actual article:

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/3069

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #1 : June 12, 2007, 05:08:06 PM »

I bet it's even more frustrating now that he's #3 on the DC

Lloyd Grant

Rookie

« #2 : June 13, 2007, 01:48:08 PM »

I bet he's even more frustrated that he bought Gruden's bs about wanting him back.  Gruden will never develop him into a winning qb.  it's obvious he doesn't like the guy and is out to ruin him. 

Proud 300 Level Season Ticket Holder since 1997

« #3 : June 13, 2007, 01:58:39 PM »

I bet he's even more frustrated that he bought Gruden's bs about wanting him back. Gruden will never develop him into a winning qb. it's obvious he doesn't like the guy and is out to ruin him.

If Simms was confident in his own abilities, he would've tested free agency. If was a marriage of convenience for him to re-sign here.

Big_MAC_Buc

Starter
« #4 : June 13, 2007, 02:19:34 PM »

I bet he's even more frustrated that he bought Gruden's bs about wanting him back.  Gruden will never develop him into a winning qb.  it's obvious he doesn't like the guy and is out to ruin him. 

I guess the Bucs resigned Chris because Gruden thought it would be easier to ruin him if he was close by. ::)

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma  made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth. --Umberto Eco

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #5 : June 13, 2007, 02:55:16 PM »

I bet he's even more frustrated that he bought Gruden's bs about wanting him back. Gruden will never develop him into a winning qb. it's obvious he doesn't like the guy and is out to ruin him.

If Simms was confident in his own abilities, he would've tested free agency. If was a marriage of convenience for him to re-sign here.

That's a great point which I've made before myself.  He's either not nearly offended by Gruden as some of his apologists are or he has zero confidence in his ability or in the perception of his ability throughout the league.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #6 : June 13, 2007, 03:20:10 PM »

I agree 100%, Gruden won't develop him into a winning QB because Simms blows freak'n goats.

IF Simms was anything near a "winning QB" Gruden would be salivating to have him as the starter. Gruden isn't a magician, he can't force Simms to make good decisions under pressure.

Lloyd Grant

Rookie

« #7 : June 13, 2007, 03:25:02 PM »

I guess the Bucs resigned Chris because Gruden thought it would be easier to ruin him if he was close by. ::)

Gruden resigned him in a panic because he was scared he would be caught without an experienced quarterback.

Proud 300 Level Season Ticket Holder since 1997

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #8 : June 13, 2007, 03:29:59 PM »

Gruden resigned him in a panic because he was scared he would be caught without an experienced quarterback.

Again, nothing new.  He could have tested the market it he wanted to.   HE chose to resign

niutbbucfan

Practice Squad

« #9 : June 13, 2007, 04:13:44 PM »

No one else wanted him so thats why he resigned with us, hes good for a back-up who has played in some games and led this team to the playoffs.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #10 : June 13, 2007, 05:26:55 PM »

Is there an ignore function?

Big_MAC_Buc

Starter
« #11 : June 13, 2007, 05:44:55 PM »

It seems to me that the only ones "in a panic" are the Gruden haters; those who love Chris Simms so much that they believe the only possible reason he will not start is because Gruden hates him and wants "to ruin him." That is a pretty naive theory. Gruden is not perfect, but he is not that dumb. He knows if he wants to keep his job he has to win. He might be wrong about who the best players are, but he is going to use the players who he believes will help him win games. If that happens to be Garcia so be it.

Personally, I think Simms has shown himself to be a class act so far and I hope he can bounce back. The only problem is that he has also shown his shortcomings as a QB. At this point his shortcomings outweigh his positives especially when compared to Garcia. Now he has to worry about Gradkowski improving enough to pass him on the depth chart as has apparently happened. The reality is that until he shows better in camp and the preseason Simms will continue where he is, #2 or #3 QB.

We should want the best players on the field. If we want to get back into the playoffs we need all of these guys, players and coaches, to be successful. I would rather be rooting for all of them than against any one of them.

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma  made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth. --Umberto Eco

umguy1999

Practice Squad

« #12 : June 13, 2007, 05:51:32 PM »

Some of you on both sides of the argument give Gruden way too much credit. Why can't it be as simple as Gruden does not like a non scrambling QB??? The fact is he never liked Brad and was trying to replace him before he even took a snap under his (weak) system, If anything Brad Prooved with a good defense and 3 good WR's any QB can run our weak dink and dunk system and win.
I don't think Gruden is trying to ruin Simms, but he has BSed him and you are ignorant if you think the fact that Garcia can run has nothing to do with getting the nod. He would have been given the start if he would have came here right from the lions or Browns, and didn't have the season he had last year. (MOSTLY due to Westbrook BTW).
I thank a respectful coach would have done as GRUDEN has done in the past (When Brad was here) and not given the nod until after TC, but again when it comes to Simms Gruden is willing to have no class as a HC.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #13 : June 13, 2007, 06:20:05 PM »

All Gruden said is that Garcia's ahead fo the other QBs and that the other QBs need to work to catch up.  How is that disrespectful?  So you complain about him "BSed" SImms and now you complain about answering a question truthfully.  Which do you want?  Simms stated he isn't where he needs to be and expected to be.  And when has Gruden ever denied wanting a QB that can move around in the pocket and make things happen.  This is news?  That's what he needs for his system, so that is what he wants.  And so now you can win with our "dink and dunk" system.  We won a Super Bowl with that weak system.

Big_MAC_Buc

Starter
« #14 : June 13, 2007, 06:53:17 PM »

Some of you on both sides of the argument give Gruden way too much credit. Why can't it be as simple as Gruden does not like a non scrambling QB??? The fact is he never liked Brad and was trying to replace him before he even took a snap under his (weak) system, If anything Brad Prooved with a good defense and 3 good WR's any QB can run our weak dink and dunk system and win.
I don't think Gruden is trying to ruin Simms, but he has BSed him and you are ignorant if you think the fact that Garcia can run has nothing to do with getting the nod. He would have been given the start if he would have came here right from the lions or Browns, and didn't have the season he had last year. (MOSTLY due to Westbrook BTW).
I thank a respectful coach would have done as GRUDEN has done in the past (When Brad was here) and not given the nod until after TC, but again when it comes to Simms Gruden is willing to have no class as a HC.

I give credit where credit is due. When the Bucs have been good I gave Gruden credit and when the Bucs were bad, as last year, I also give Gruden credit for that.

Your problem as I see it is that you are not giving enough credit to Chris Simms. You seem to assume he is some kind of lost nincompoop who does not know what he is doing and was easily hoodwinked by Jon Gruden. You talk as if Chris was unaware of what kind of coach Gruden is; you talk as if Chris did not have four years playing under Gruden's system and did not know what kind of offense Gruden ran; you talk as if Chris did not know that Gruden preferred a QB who could scramble and run; you talk as if Chris did not know that he would have to compete to be the starting QB. If Chris was unaware of these things then you would be right that he is nincompoop. But I think you are wrong. I think Chris is a lot smarter than you give him credit for. I think Chris knew exactly what he was signing on for and he looked forward to the challenge. So far it simply has not gone as he had hoped.

As far as Gruden giving an early nod to Garcia as the front runner at QB I'm sure Chris was aware of that early on as well. But there is still time for him to challenge Garcia. If he can then it should make them both better players and make the team better at the same time.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms: "It's Frustrating" « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools