Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms: "It's Frustrating" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#15 : June 13, 2007, 07:13:13 PM

All Gruden said is that Garcia's ahead fo the other QBs and that the other QBs need to work to catch up. How is that disrespectful? So you complain about him "BSed" SImms and now you complain about answering a question truthfully. Which do you want? Simms stated he isn't where he needs to be and expected to be. And when has Gruden ever denied wanting a QB that can move around in the pocket and make things happen. This is news? That's what he needs for his system, so that is what he wants. And so now you can win with our "dink and dunk" system. We won a Super Bowl with that weak system.

We got to the SB because of our DEFENSE, we won because the Raiders were still using Grudens system and our D knew all the check downs, audibles, etc. etc. etc  ..What other game did we have that many INTs and INTs for TD's.
Its a weak system that may work if you have 3 good WR's a HB that can catch and a good QB, even then its easy to stop as proven in our 5-11. 7-9, 4-12 seasons.  Play to stop the run and you will also stop most of our pasing plays without even trying.

Our system IS weak, systems don't win Championships, Defense does and talent on offense does. The Pats, Steelers, Colts,Rams, Ravens & Cowboys won Championships without the mighty (WEAK) WCO...

We won a SB with a good accurate QB, 3 good WR's and good HB and FB both that can catch, and a good defense. You tell me if you have all those things does the system really matter?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#16 : June 13, 2007, 10:06:07 PM

I notice you left off all the Super Bowls won by the 49ers and the Packers.  LOL  Well we at least have a good accurate QB finally.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#17 : June 13, 2007, 10:07:20 PM

And I jsut realized you contradicted yourself again.  If teh system doesn't matter, then why do you keep pointing out how "weak"  our "dink and dunk" WCO is?

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#18 : June 14, 2007, 07:05:18 PM

And I jsut realized you contradicted yourself again. If teh system doesn't matter, then why do you keep pointing out how "weak" our "dink and dunk" WCO is?

If you had any brains you would see its not a contradiction, the reason we are so bad is because Gruden wants to find a QB that fits HIS system and not create a sytem to fit his best players (i.e. last year with SIMMS as the starter). You don't need a WCO to win a SB, and our system sux because you need a good QB, 3 good WR's and a HB that can catch.

FYI, I did count the Niners and the Packers and the Broncos (which i was not even sure about)

SB winners 1987-2007

Giants
Skins
NINERS 1
NINERS 2
Giants
Skins
Cowboys
Cowboys
NINERS 3
Cowboys
PACKERS 4
BRONCOS 5
BRONCOS 6
Rams
Ravens
Pats
Pats
BUCS 7
Pats
Steelers
Colts

I think that is 7...

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#19 : June 14, 2007, 07:26:36 PM

You're being ridiculous.  Every coach looks for players who can fit his system.  No coach goes in and completely revamps his system to fit the players.  Some adjustments, sure but not completely revamp the system.  That's why systems exist.  And that's 7 more than you mentioned to begin with.  And most say that a good QB will make his WR's better which in turn will help the running game.  Maybe the problem is we haven't had a good QB the last few years.  We sure ran the ball fine at the beginning of 2005 wehn Griese was the QB.  He's no hall of famer or anything, but Caddy sure looked like a superstar those first few games.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#20 : June 14, 2007, 07:58:40 PM

So its ok to find a QB that fits your system, and at the same time its ok to have a HB that doesn't?

A good coach can revamp his system to fit his STARTING QB, its much harder to find a QB that fits a system, than it is to make the system fit the QB. Once Garcia retires in the next year or two, then what? We need another veteran QB that can scramble, or a rookie that can scramble and wait 2-5 years for him to develop??? I can already see Vick in a Bucs uniform.....
Do you think if Manning were our QB it would be the same system? First off he would have to bring in the shotgun, and good luck with trying to make him scramble...
Didn't Walsh bring the WCO into the NFL because it fit his QB?

Most houses are 3 bedroom 2 bath, say you need 7 bedrooms, its a lot harder to find a 7 bedroom house for sale, than it is to add a few rooms to an existing house, or have your own house built. Gruden is looking for a 7 bedroom furnished house, at a 3 bedroom price. hummmmmmmmm

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#21 : June 14, 2007, 09:30:10 PM

Gruden's not running the option, he wants a QB with some mobility and accuracy and the ability to make some plays.  At this point Simms is one dimmensional.  Drop back and throw one deep that Galloway can run under.  He does that well, but when it comes to making reads and getting rid of the ball he struggles.  As for Manning, he doen't need to scramble. He's INTELLIGIENT enough to read defenses and get rid of the ball.  He knows where he's going with it before the ball is snapped.  That's the problem, not Simms ability to scramble or not scramble.  YOu igmored the point I made earlier.  We had success with Johnson and with Griese.  Maybe the problem is with the QB.  As for after Garcia, Gruden obviously lieks things about Gradkowski and McCown and maybe Simms gets it by then, but that's irrelevant to the current situation.

Your house analogy doesn't make sense.  What are you running a half way house?  (Insert Elijah Dukes joke here)

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#22 : June 14, 2007, 10:36:22 PM

Simms is a pocket passer with limited skills at reading and reacting to defenses.  If he gets better at that he will be a good player.  Until then it is tough.  PS pocket passers need very good olines - buccs are just starting to near average in talent - will have to see about their performance.  And a better qb performance would make the oline job a helluva lot easier.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

niutbbucfan

Practice Squad

#23 : June 14, 2007, 10:57:13 PM

I really wouldn't mind seeing him start if the line can live up to its potential

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#24 : June 14, 2007, 10:59:19 PM

He has to show he can read and react to a defense before he goes back on the field again niutbbucfan - he has to show he can make the plays, and also knows when the play is not there.  (and not hit Dlinemen in the head with passes)

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#25 : June 15, 2007, 08:51:36 AM

The guy got his "Chance" to prove himself in this league.  IMO, he flunked.  Yes, he did come in and help us to the playoffs, but a #1 ranked defense and a great rookie running back seems to have had made that a ton easier for him.  his first three games last year were some of the ugliest foorball at the QB position as I have ever seen.  It was as if he had been abducted by aliens and had his brain swapped with Ryan Leaf.  No one is promised multiple chances in this league unless you're Jermaine Phillips.  He needs to be thankful that anybody signed him, much less the hefty sum we threw his way.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#26 : June 15, 2007, 09:45:56 AM

People act like Simms is some new player. Romo here in Dallas has the same NFL experience as Simms - less since he never tossed a single pass in the NFL before last season.  Simms has had plenty of time and a generous amount of games to show himself. He's not turned the corner. He looks the part but so did RoboSack. I mean you put RoboSack and Brad on a practice field next to each other and you'd take RoboSack everytime, problem is on the field we all know who the better QB is.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

niutbbucfan

Practice Squad

#27 : June 15, 2007, 10:30:46 AM

He has to show he can read and react to a defense before he goes back on the field again niutbbucfan - he has to show he can make the plays, and also knows when the play is not there.  (and not hit Dlinemen in the head with passes)
yea i know, if he can work that out i wouldn't mind seeing him start.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#28 : June 15, 2007, 05:44:21 PM

Its not like Simms never played well or does not have the ability to play well, but in games where we can't run or pass block and defenses can just toy with our O-line and have 4 D-lineman sitting back waiting to bat passes. Most coaches would find a way to use that to his teams advantage, but Gruden prefers to keep trying the 3 step drops over and over again.
We are terrible with screens because we hardly use them in games, forget about draw plays we don't try those either. Just line up call 3 step drop after 3 step drop, and have the QB throw through 7 defenders with all the routes going in that 10 yard crowded area, but if you are gong to do that you need a Keyshawn type of player, we don't have that. We have soft spoken, lazy Clayton who seems to just lay on a hammock off season.
Garcia was in the pro-bowl and had 5 or 6 years in the NFL and a ton more starts under his belt before he laid the eggs in Detroit and with the Browns, Simms got his TC snaps (the ones he should have had if Gruden didn't have a crush on Grad's) against the Ravens, Falcons and Panthers. I guess snaps and timing have nothing to do with one another.
Simms took a 5-11 team to 11-5, granted Griese and Caddy helped, but Clayton and the O-line were still pretty darn bad. In fact
Simms brought us back to win 2 games that the defense almost lost for us, so without him we would have been 9-7, and Gruden would probably have no job this year.
I don't see the logic in a 37 year old QB on a team that has many gaps and needs and weaknesses on our team. I guess the future doesn't matter anymore? I guess the Bills should have kept Bledsoe because J.P. Losman was so bad, but he was pretty good last year, lets not give Simms a chance though he has all the tools and has proven he can run this weak offense lets stick to a guy with a year or two left in him, lets put all our hopes into a 37 year old QB, and a 6th round undersized QB with a noodle arm. Sounds good to me.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#29 : June 15, 2007, 09:49:12 PM

Major weakness was QB.  That's why the 37 year old is here.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms: "It's Frustrating" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools