Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Hank Aaron « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 32

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#30 : June 13, 2007, 03:39:59 PM

I am a fan of Bonds.

I think Aaron has made himself look like an idiot more than anything.

Bonds would be under the same scrutiny reguardless of race.

Bonds is the greatest player I have ever seen, artificial or not.

I didn't grow up following baseball.  When I moved to Georgia in the early 90's all you heard about was the Braves.  I would watch the playoffs.  I remember seeing Bonds for the first time when he played for the Pirates under Leyland.  The Braves pulled out a miracle against them in that game with Sid Bream of all people scoring the winning run.  He was awesome then, and he is still awesome now.  I truly don't care for his attitude, but that's who he is.  It doesn't make him less of a ball player.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#31 : June 13, 2007, 04:17:40 PM

Speed can greatly enhance a players performance.  Start with enhanced focus and sharpened reflexes.  Over the course of a season the effects of travel and lack of rest can bear down on the body and cause slower reactions and decreased performance. Taking an amphetamine such as speed would help someone endure the grueling long haul, or the "dog days of summer." 

Now I am not suggesting Aaron took speed or anything else for that matter, but to say a drug such as speed would not increase performance is untrue.

Speed may not give you the raw strength that steroids do, but it can still result in increased power by increasing your reaction causing you to get around faster on an inside fastball that maybe would have jammed you if you were tired.   Arguably amphetamines enhance performance more than steroids in baseball.

I'll take an energetic, awake, but weaker player over a tired, strong player any day of the week.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#32 : June 13, 2007, 10:17:08 PM

Speed can greatly enhance a players performance.  Start with enhanced focus and sharpened reflexes.  Over the course of a season the effects of travel and lack of rest can bear down on the body and cause slower reactions and decreased performance. Taking an amphetamine such as speed would help someone endure the grueling long haul, or the "dog days of summer." 

Now I am not suggesting Aaron took speed or anything else for that matter, but to say a drug such as speed would not increase performance is untrue.

Speed may not give you the raw strength that steroids do, but it can still result in increased power by increasing your reaction causing you to get around faster on an inside fastball that maybe would have jammed you if you were tired.   Arguably amphetamines enhance performance more than steroids in baseball.

I'll take an energetic, awake, but weaker player over a tired, strong player any day of the week.

Obviously the comments made earlier saying that speed could not increase one's performance were not seeing this point.  I actually have sampled both speed and steroids in my younger days and will testify that although my endurance seemed to last longer with the steroids, it was speed that had me running like a mad man.  Ultimately, I believe prolonged use of speed or other uppers would eventually lead to more and more stronger drugs.  Many NFL players have testified that the use of speed and cocaine was pretty wide spread during the 70's. 

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#33 : June 14, 2007, 12:21:57 AM

there has never been an accusation directed at Hank Aaron that he did any kind of drugs.

you are trying to stir the pot, and for what reason?

Bonds is a cheater, it is proven, and to attempt to soil Hank Aaron's name in any way just shows your lack of respect for the game of baseball.

You say you are not a Bonds fan, yet you are on his side in this issue?  How can that possibly be?

I like what Hank has done, he is a classy guy, and has always been a classy guy.

I would love it if Hank would stand up and say "NO, I want nothing to do with Bonds, a known and proven cheater, and I will NOT be prestent at any event that Barry Bonds is affiliated with, especially the game that he illegitimatly breaks my record"

SeedOfChucky33

Hall of Famer

#34 : June 14, 2007, 02:50:42 AM

Obviously the comments made earlier saying that speed could not increase one's performance were not seeing this point. 

I said narcotics wouldn't increase your performance, speed isn't a narcotic...

When you talk about what the college football experience is all about, that's it. Auburn is the epitome.
--Bud Poliquin, Syracuse Post-Standard
[/b]

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#35 : June 14, 2007, 09:12:51 AM

I grew up a Pirates and Royals fan. I was a Barry Bonds fan from 1986 until 2000 when I had the opportunity to meet him. Before he started doing steroids he was going to be a hall off famer, but the roid's pushed him over the top. I have no real problem with Hank Aaron saying the things he is saying. He has to be clear that he does not support steroid use. Riding the fence one the issue of Bonds could provide certain media outlets with some sort of signal that Aaron thinks steroids are just fine. Again, just my opinion. Besides if I had worked hard and done it the right way, I wouldn't want to see a cheater break my record.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#36 : June 14, 2007, 09:26:16 AM

The simple fact is Bonds has admitted using 'roids. Now the claims he had no idea that the cream and the clear that were reshaping his head were 'roids (rrrrriiiiiiiighhht) but he admitted using products with 'roids. MLB doesn't have the balls to basically say that he's cheated (and if you haven't read Game of Shadows you should because it blows Bonds lame defense even further out of the water) and do the right thing.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#37 : June 14, 2007, 09:36:16 AM

When Bonds (allegedly) used steroids, was there a rule in baseball that banned them?

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#38 : June 14, 2007, 10:32:11 AM

*yawn*

Groovatron

Pro Bowler

#39 : June 14, 2007, 11:28:02 AM

When Bonds (allegedly) used steroids, was there a rule in baseball that banned them?

I'm pretty sure there was a rule about illegal drugs and steroids has been illegal for quite a while now.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#40 : June 14, 2007, 12:07:55 PM

You could have answered the question with just 2 letters rather than make a dumb comment.

The answer is No, steroids were not banned by MLB.

So my next question would be how do you cheat if you aren't  breaking a rule?

Now I am no fan of Bonds or anything, just curious where some of these cheating rants are coming from.

I'm not condoning any steroid use in baseball, but at the same time I won't call someone a cheater who doesn't break a rule.  Like it or not, steroids were not banned when Bonds (allegedly) used. 

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#41 : June 14, 2007, 12:21:42 PM

Bonds is a liar...

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#42 : June 14, 2007, 12:31:14 PM

Liar, yes.

Cheater, not according to baseball rules at that time.

Cheating is corking a bat, scuffing a ball with sandpaper, etc.  Are we going to call anyone who has ever done that a cheater to? 

There are some VERY good HOF pitchers who were famous for doctoring baseballs.  Surely those of you all over Bonds think they should be out of the HOF and their numbers erased as well?

Groovatron

Pro Bowler

#43 : June 14, 2007, 12:36:22 PM

Ray, steroids has been illegal without a prescription for decades. So just because there wasn't a policy specifically stating steroids doesn't mean they weren't banned. I don't see how that's a "dumb comment" but I'm sure you will enlighten me.

SeedOfChucky33

Hall of Famer

#44 : June 14, 2007, 12:42:34 PM

Ray steroids have not been allowed for a long time. They just started testing for them 2 years ago (I think it was '05) but that doesn't mean they were legal before that...

When you talk about what the college football experience is all about, that's it. Auburn is the epitome.
--Bud Poliquin, Syracuse Post-Standard
[/b]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 32
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Hank Aaron « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools