Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs O-line « previous next »
Page: 1 2

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: June 14, 2007, 08:21:18 AM

"It's down and dirty and it's fun. It's one-on-one combat with the man in front of you. But there are also four other guys, which makes it a group challenge as well as an individual challenge." surmised Luke Petitgout, the Bucs new LT. With 8 years experience, Petitgout began as a 1st Rounder with the NY Giants and has played LG, RT, and LT as a pro. He is determined to protect his QB, whoever that is. With all the young talent on the team, having a pro like Petitgout (6'6"/310) at LT will prove to be the gorilla glue to bind this young O-Line together.

http://www.pewterkrew.com/news/190.php

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

JC510

Practice Squad

#1 : June 14, 2007, 09:17:50 AM

This is going to be a tremendous run blocking offensive line. Too bad if we fall behind 3-0 in the 1st qtr we won't get to see any running.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#2 : June 14, 2007, 09:39:19 AM

I'm very intrigued on what Sears can do at LG and how much Joseph and Trueblood has improved from last season.

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 14, 2007, 09:55:40 AM

Lets not get our hopes up it appears that the only shore thing that we have on the O-line is RG Joseph.
lets go through the rest on the O-Line
RT: Trueblood needed a TE to help him out on most pass plays last year and this year has gotten some negative vibes from Gruden in practice.
C: we have Wade and some experimental player one being injuered Buening
LG: second round draft pick rookie Sears who played LT in college Sears is changing his home, league, team, Offensive scheme and position plus we need hime to come in and be above average that is a lot to ask
LT: Petitgout was let go without much hesitation because of injury problems and concerns by the Giants the team that knew him best this should be a warning flag for all fans.

So here is to hoping for the best and blinding our selves to the worst. WHY? Because we are fans. GO BUCS!

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#4 : June 14, 2007, 10:35:35 AM

corrupt.  cool sig.  it makes allen look like Men in Black...

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#5 : June 14, 2007, 11:19:16 AM

Lets not get our hopes up it appears that the only shore thing that we have on the O-line is RG Joseph.
RT: Trueblood needed a TE to help him out on most pass plays last year and this year has gotten some negative vibes from Gruden in practice.
LG: second round draft pick rookie Sears who played LT in college Sears is changing his home, league, team, Offensive scheme and position plus we need hime to come in and be above average that is a lot to ask
LT: Petitgout was let go without much hesitation because of injury problems and concerns by the Giants the team that knew him best this should be a warning flag for all fans.

So here is to hoping for the best and blinding our selves to the worst. WHY? Because we are fans. GO BUCS!

While I agree with most of your concerns, I think you are overstating a few of them:

Buenning isn't the only option to replace Wade.  If he's no good at Center, then he'll get beat out by Matt Lehr, who has played the position and should at least be an upgrade over Wade.

Sears played LT his senior year in college.  He was originally playing LG, but moved over that year to help out.  He also won the SEC Offensive line player of the year award for that one year of play.  I think moving BACK to his original position would be a bonus (including what he's learned by playing LT), if you consider moving out of his natural position a negative.

My greatest worry on the O-line is Trueblood.  He needs to improve and at least become more consistant.  I don't have a problem with giving TE help to one of the tackles...it's not that uncommon in the league, because you're hoping one of your tackles can play on an island, but truly blessed if both can.  Second concern is Petitgout, but it's not nearly as much of a worry as True.  Overall concern still remains this coaching staff getting the most out of these players, who clearly have raw physical talent and ability.

whobdis

Pro Bowler

#6 : June 14, 2007, 11:32:42 AM

Of the free agents we picked up Pettigout seemed to draw the most ire from fans of the previous team.
Many a Giant fan (and some of their beat writers) questioned the move. He's had some injuries but he's
been solid. Tiki ran behind him quite a bit and you don't accumulate the yardage he did with a weak
tackle.
I've heard before by a coach or two that your guards drive your running game. If that's true (and being
an old guard I believe it) I'm optimistic about our running game turning it around.  I think we'll have
less sacks to but that's due to a change at another position.

orlandobuc

Starter

#7 : June 14, 2007, 11:54:36 AM

I hope all this turns out but it seems we always talk up the line this time of the year only to see nothing happen when the real bullets start flying.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#8 : June 14, 2007, 12:08:41 PM

I hope all this turns out but it seems we always talk up the line this time of the year only to see nothing happen when the real bullets start flying.

So true Orlando. However, this is the most talent we've had on the line in a while.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#9 : June 14, 2007, 12:22:38 PM

The right side of the line has a year of experience under it's belt. The left side has an upgrade in personell. The center has competition that will pressure him to get better or step aside. We have players with the ability to function at different positions and some with starting experience that will likely be backups this year. That's depth. We have never had that before. Askew and Stevens will bolster their positions and Garcia knows how to play QB. This is the best situation we have had on offense that I can remember.

I'm not predicting a SB but a playoff spot is possible. I like this OL better than what we had in '02 or '05. If the D can return to form, and STs step it up, this could be another good year to be a Buc fan.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#10 : June 14, 2007, 12:45:15 PM

This is going to be a tremendous run blocking offensive line. Too bad if we fall behind 3-0 in the 1st qtr we won't get to see any running.

:D

I feel that.

But I gotta smile at the thought of watching this collection of young, high grade OL stock develop into a unit that can actually sustain a run game. It might not happen overnight, but imagine being able to pass when we want to, as opposed to because we have to...

I'm optimistic, as long as Muir doesn't f things up..

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#11 : June 14, 2007, 01:09:04 PM

I agree Red. Muir has not impressed me with anything so far. If this group truly turns into a group of maulers, it's a huge advantage. Imagine Bucs with a lead in the second half in the scorching hot Florida sun and the defense just getting hammered down after down. They'll wilt pretty quickly I would think.

bluetick

Practice Squad

#12 : June 14, 2007, 01:49:56 PM

When the dust settles during training camp, I hope that whichever 5 guys are named starters, get tons of PT in the four preseason games. These guys need to work together and get hardened through actually playing time. I hope JG doesn't sit Pettigout (veteran) only to have him blowout during the season. Then we are back to Davis at LT or a rookie.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#13 : June 14, 2007, 01:58:41 PM

I also think that if the line is better, then Garcia has more time and Caddy has more holes, etc, etc. So here's hoping.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#14 : June 14, 2007, 03:04:31 PM

Joseph gets too much credit IMHO. The kid can be good, but let's have him prove to be the rock of the line before acting like he's head and shoulders above everybody. Last year he wasn't great. He can improve a lot, but so can Trueblood.

I don't think it's fair to judge Petitgout on the Giants' team decision. He played well and is expected to play at the very least better than Davis. I mean, we had our concerns, and more legitimate concerns at that, about John Lynch and his health/age. Turns out, he could still play. Just because they aren't willing to risk it with a relatively young team, doesn't mean we shouldn't expect much out of him.

Sears can play well at guard. Like the guys before him, Buenning and Logan Mankins and Jahri Evans, etc. I don't think it's too much to expect a rookie guard to play at an above average level. Home, league, and team aren't that big of a deal. Everybody does it. It's just some can perform, and some can't. If he's good enough, he can overcome that. Guard is one of the easier positions on the offense. QBs are notoriously slow to develop. WRs usually take 3 years to hit complete stride as well. Centers and left tackles also take a bit to fully master their responsibilities. You don't have to call out formations or change up blocking schemes or audible or decipher defensive coverages. You have to know your assignment(s) and win your matchup. Plus, he's started 5 games at guard and has been practicing there.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs O-line « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools