Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Jags release Safety Donovin Darius « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#15 : June 15, 2007, 06:57:04 PM

he's not healthy and he's 32 ---- PASS

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#16 : June 15, 2007, 08:08:09 PM

he's not healthy and he's 32 ---- PASS

That only means we could get a player who has shown he can do great at a real bargain.  I say if the cap room is there and the price is right, we should be all over it.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#17 : June 16, 2007, 12:08:58 AM

You take that risk with a younger fella ... He hasn't been healthy in two years [at the END of last year he BROKE his leg and the year before he tore his anterior cruciate ligament] and at 32 he's not gonna heal any faster. --if you find some magic pill, let me know.    Which young guy are you going to cut in order to make room for him?   I doubt he passes too many physicals since he's still rehabing that leg.  Oh, and with as many guys on our D that's over 30 already, when do you start trying to get younger if your still bringing in wounded 32 yrold safties? ---and for those saying he's a pro bowler, he's only been a second alternate to the Pro Bowl in 2001 and first alternate in 2002.  He's not going to make our safety position better.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#18 : June 16, 2007, 12:49:00 AM

For vet min I say he is worth it.  Bucs need to add a vet back there with the young guys.  Jermaine Phillips as of now is the "senior" of the group. 

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#19 : June 16, 2007, 01:19:12 AM

He's not going to make our safety position better.
I beg to differ.  I have watched many games with DD, and I think he brings a lot to the table.  At least, more than the scraps that Will and Jermaine have been bringing.

DD may be 32, but the QB is 37, Kevin Carter is what?  33?  Spires is old, Simeon is old, Ronde is old, Brooks is old...

DD at the right price is worth a look, espescially if Kevin Carter is worth a look, IMO.

Darius hammers people.

How many of you wish John Lynch was still around?  Now consider the quality of the safeties before you answer "honestly".  DD was never a pro bowler as I alluded to, but he is a good safety who has been "snubbed" before.  He lays people out, he would be great in the box, he has decent coverage abilities.  I mean if Lynch can recover from a busted neck, I think DD can recover from a leg injury.

Worth a look.

JC510

Practice Squad

#20 : June 16, 2007, 10:56:50 AM

So here's how this board goes..

A. Complains that the defense is too old and about how defense has been put on the back seat in the draft
B. The team drafts defense
C. An old defensive player is cut and the board wants the Bucs to sign him because the young player is unproven

Example: Bucs draft Ruud to eventually replace Quarles. 2 years later its time to replace Quarles. Al Wilson is released and the board wants him because Ruud is unproven.

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#21 : June 16, 2007, 11:07:01 AM

DD at the right price is worth a look, espescially if Kevin Carter is worth a look, IMO.

Exactly what I was going to say.  We got Carter at a low price because of his age, and there's the possibility he has some gas left in his tank.  Oh, and by the way, Simeon Rice is 33.  So age should not be an argument not to take him.  Injuries is a valid concern, but should not get in our way if we can nab DD with the potential of having a veteran teacher for our young safeties.

Oh, and JC, for the record, I've never complained that we're too old.  ;)

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#22 : June 16, 2007, 01:01:54 PM

So here's how this board goes..

A. Complains that the defense is too old and about how defense has been put on the back seat in the draft
B. The team drafts defense
C. An old defensive player is cut and the board wants the Bucs to sign him because the young player is unproven

Example: Bucs draft Ruud to eventually replace Quarles. 2 years later its time to replace Quarles. Al Wilson is released and the board wants him because Ruud is unproven.

DD indeed has been injury prone the last two years.  But what if he stays healthy?  I think his production would bely his age...

Q has been productive, I haven't heard too many complaints about him manning the Mike spot.  Kevin Carter was a shock because the first thing I thought was here we go again, overpaying for a cagey vet...but of course his salary is miniscule, and won't haunt the Bucs years down the road.  Petty is indeed 30, but his contract isn't a bank buster either...

It all comes down to price tag, and area of need.  A healthy DD is far greater than a younger Jermaine, Allen, or Piscitelli, and would be a good influence on them...

miamicanes04

Hall of Famer

#23 : June 16, 2007, 01:54:23 PM

For vet min I say he is worth it.  Bucs need to add a vet back there with the young guys.  Jermaine Phillips as of now is the "senior" of the group. 

My usual comment above. These kind of guys are worth a shot at vet minimum.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#24 : June 16, 2007, 04:54:46 PM

I beg to differ. I have watched many games with DD, and I think he brings a lot to the table. At least, more than the scraps that Will and Jermaine have been bringing.

In the last 4 years what has he done?  In the last two, he's torn a tendon and has broken his leg.  We drafted 2 safeties and fixed the main problem which was coaching last year.

DD may be 32, but the QB is 37, Kevin Carter is what? 33? Spires is old, Simeon is old, Ronde is old, Brooks is old...

....and your point is? to me that's even more reason not to bring him in.

Carter has been healthy and isn't still rehabing a broken leg.

Darius hammers people.

How many of you wish John Lynch was still around? Now consider the quality of the safeties before you answer "honestly". DD was never a pro bowler as I alluded to, but he is a good safety who has been "snubbed" before. He lays people out, he would be great in the box, he has decent coverage abilities. I mean if Lynch can recover from a busted neck, I think DD can recover from a leg injury.

DD was a good safety 4 years ago.  He's not what he used to be and is even more of a liability in pass coverage with the leg issues he's had the last 2 years. You can't go by what Lynch did.  What Lynch did was comeback from an injury nobodyelse at his position has ever returned healthy from.  You can't use a "rarity" like that as a prime example [IMO]

Worth a look.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#25 : June 18, 2007, 01:29:44 AM

I beg to differ. I have watched many games with DD, and I think he brings a lot to the table. At least, more than the scraps that Will and Jermaine have been bringing.

In the last 4 years what has he done? In the last two, he's torn a tendon and has broken his leg. We drafted 2 safeties and fixed the main problem which was coaching last year.

DD may be 32, but the QB is 37, Kevin Carter is what? 33? Spires is old, Simeon is old, Ronde is old, Brooks is old...

....and your point is? to me that's even more reason not to bring him in.

Carter has been healthy and isn't still rehabing a broken leg.

Darius hammers people.

How many of you wish John Lynch was still around? Now consider the quality of the safeties before you answer "honestly". DD was never a pro bowler as I alluded to, but he is a good safety who has been "snubbed" before. He lays people out, he would be great in the box, he has decent coverage abilities. I mean if Lynch can recover from a busted neck, I think DD can recover from a leg injury.

DD was a good safety 4 years ago. He's not what he used to be and is even more of a liability in pass coverage with the leg issues he's had the last 2 years. You can't go by what Lynch did. What Lynch did was comeback from an injury nobodyelse at his position has ever returned healthy from. You can't use a "rarity" like that as a prime example [IMO]

Worth a look.

My point with the age reference was that if these other cats are worth a look, then DD is definitely worth a gander.  As for his leg issues, how do you know he is not a positive, and not likely a liability on defense?  Did you watch Jermaine Phillips last year :P?  Did you see WIll Allen get juked by a fullback and play like crapola [banghead]?  I did.  Donovan when healthy is a far greater safety than the Bucs have seen SINCE John Lynch.  And my "rare" opinion of Lynch coming back from a neck injury stands a better shot considering Darius is a weight room/fitness machine.  He works out just as hard as the guy who you thinks works out hard....which lends me to believe he might be able to bounce back from said injuries rather quickly.  Trust me, DD will not be unemployed for long, and when he gets hired, he'll be out there with his helmet on playing, and making someones defense a bit better.  Hopefully ours.

With the safeties in such a sad shape, I mean, Will Allen?  Jermaine Phillips?  Sabatino Piscitelli?  All there is is hope.  And I would rather see DD out there knocking people out at a feaseable contract, than watch "growing pains" with Piscitelli.

If you reference him from four years ago, as you did, the prior 2 from his leg injuries were quite decent.  He has, and more than likely, still is a borderline pro bowl SS.

SCLOBERNOCKER47

Practice Squad

#26 : June 18, 2007, 02:25:55 AM

In the last 4 years what has he done?  In the last two, he's torn a tendon and has broken his leg.  We drafted 2 safeties and fixed the main problem which was coaching last year.

How can you call anything fixed when we have yet to take the field? Proof is in the pudding my friend, and we're still on the appetizers.

LA BUC

Starter

#27 : June 18, 2007, 02:27:46 AM

We really need a strong safety and D. Darius would be nice. Piscitelli should be a free safety anyway.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#28 : June 18, 2007, 02:32:55 AM

We really need a strong safety and D. Darius would be nice. Piscitelli should be a free safety anyway.
FWIW, Free and Strong are relative terms in the Bucs defense.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#29 : June 18, 2007, 10:34:43 AM

For vet min I say he is worth it. Bucs need to add a vet back there with the young guys. Jermaine Phillips as of now is the "senior" of the group.

My usual comment above. These kind of guys are worth a shot at vet minimum.

I agree.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Jags release Safety Donovin Darius « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools