Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: prisco's top 50 players...not a buc in sight « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
« #30 : June 17, 2007, 10:48:26 AM »

How the hell is Ronde not top 25? He's the best corner not named Champ in this league.

C'mon now!!!

Whos better then?

Asante Samuel

Your **CENSORED**ting me right?
Ronde- 3 INTs, 2 TDs, 13 passes def., 84 takles

Asante- 10 INTs, 0 TDs, 14 passes def., 59 takles

Well, I guess the only big edge Asante has is the picks...but that's a pretty damn big difference.

So he had a 10 pick season? Ronde had one when he was up and coming, and teams realized they need to stay away from his side. That played a huge part in Brian Kelly's 10 INT season like a year or two later.

Samuel is not even in the same atmosphere as Ronde.

I'll say it for the 293638707th time this thread:

This top 50 is based on performance last year, not for their careers.

bodybag

Starter

« #31 : June 17, 2007, 11:30:48 AM »

something that SI and others have seemed to miss... ronde is the only CB IN NFL HISTORY to have over 20 career INT's and 20 career sacks. so i would even say he's prolly the best all-purpose CB in nfl. last time i checked champ wasnt even close to 20 sacks. this SI insider needs to research a little better on his player production. and ronde was the standout player on our defense in 2006. how can you not include the best pass rushing CB in the top 50?

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
« #32 : June 17, 2007, 12:52:20 PM »

something that SI and others have seemed to miss... ronde is the only CB IN NFL HISTORY to have over 20 career INT's and 20 career sacks. so i would even say he's prolly the best all-purpose CB in nfl. last time i checked champ wasnt even close to 20 sacks. this SI insider needs to research a little better on his player production. and ronde was the standout player on our defense in 2006. how can you not include the best pass rushing CB in the top 50?

Being the standout player on our defense last year is like being the smartest kid with Down's Syndrome.

Ericsbucs371

Hall of Famer

« #33 : June 17, 2007, 03:19:53 PM »

How is Derrick Brooks not on this list?
He is the unquestioned leader and cornerstone for the league’s best defense of the last decade.
One of the most respected player in the NFL. 10 straight ProBowls.

Sorry bro, but remember this is based on last year. There were many LBs that were better (and younger) than Brooks last year. No knock on him, because you're right, he is the cornerstone for the best defense of the last decade...excluding last year, when they sucked a fat one...which means he was the cornerstone of THAT defense as well.
Ray Lewis is ranked no. 32.
Derrick Brooks is not ranked.
Ray Lewis- tackles 103 / solo 80 / ast 23 / sacks 5 / 2 picks/ no tds
Derrick Brooks  - tackles 121 / solo 96 / ast 25 / no sacks/ 3 picks/ 1 td

bodybag

Starter

« #34 : June 17, 2007, 05:10:48 PM »

nonetheless, it should'nt matter IMO how the team did in 2006 when they are ranking a player's individual performance. ronde has quietly been making QB's and WR's job difficult for years. that to me deserves at least honorable mention. the same should go for derrick brooks and an ex-buc not mentioned as well named john lynch.

Being the standout player on our defense last year is like being the smartest kid with Down's Syndrome.

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
« #35 : June 17, 2007, 05:53:51 PM »

How is Derrick Brooks not on this list?
He is the unquestioned leader and cornerstone for the league’s best defense of the last decade.
One of the most respected player in the NFL. 10 straight ProBowls.

Sorry bro, but remember this is based on last year. There were many LBs that were better (and younger) than Brooks last year. No knock on him, because you're right, he is the cornerstone for the best defense of the last decade...excluding last year, when they sucked a fat one...which means he was the cornerstone of THAT defense as well.
Ray Lewis is ranked no. 32.
Derrick Brooks is not ranked.
Ray Lewis- tackles 103 / solo 80 / ast 23 / sacks 5 / 2 picks/ no tds
Derrick Brooks  - tackles 121 / solo 96 / ast 25 / no sacks/ 3 picks/ 1 td

I see your point, but Brooks was apart of a bottom tier defense while Ray was apart of one of the best last year.  While I may agree Ray Lewis is overrated in comparison to Brooks overall, I can see why Ray is where he is on the list and Brooks not making it (however I do agree he should have been mentioned as almost making it).  This is not a list based solely on stats.  That is something that you guys made me realize when I brought up the stats for Ronde and Asante.  So if we want to be consistent with that argument, the stats are a factor, but the difference maker seems to be how the performance affects those around him.  I guarantee had our defense been in the top ten again last year Brooks would be there somewhere.  I'm not saying it's fair, and I'm not even trying to stand up for Prisco, I'm just saying I can understand from a non-Buccaneer fan standpoint why Lewis is there and Brooks isn't.

In fact, I probably would have him there in my list, but I'm just trying to be as objective as possible.  The flip side to this argument is if that were indeed the case, D-Hall would not be on the list because he gets burned a lot more than Ronde.

I dunno, it seems to me like this will be a never-ending debate because no two top 50 lists will be the same.

norwichsmog

Rookie
« #36 : June 18, 2007, 03:49:16 AM »

WOW that list is a joke!!! Frank Gore ahead of Marvin Harrison and Steve Smith LMAO!!!
those guys have put up numbers year after year and Gore has one good season and he's top 25
IN THE LEAGUE!! I don't doubt he will be a Decent RB for years to come but come on! top 25

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

« #37 : June 18, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »

WOW that list is a joke!!! Frank Gore ahead of Marvin Harrison and Steve Smith LMAO!!!
those guys have put up numbers year after year and Gore has one good season and he's top 25
IN THE LEAGUE!! I don't doubt he will be a Decent RB for years to come but come on! top 25
Once again, they're only counting last year

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #38 : June 18, 2007, 10:55:59 AM »

And how does Donavan even make the list if it indeed is an eval of last year? Just a for instance.

An excellent point, but remember that McNabb was getting MVP discussion before his injury.  But you are correct that missing games makes it a questionable pick.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #39 : June 18, 2007, 10:48:25 AM »

Don't have real issue with not having a buccaneer in the top 50, but I do think Ronde should be there.

I don't think Prisco is anything more than a reporter with someone else's list in his hand listing the top 100 players - and he offered nothing in the way of insight. 

A lot like power rankings.  Without value.  And how does Donavan even make the list if it indeed is an eval of last year?  Just a for instance. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #40 : June 18, 2007, 11:04:40 AM »

Especially when his team played better when he was gone!!!  Donavan was a silly pick bradentonian.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

« #41 : June 18, 2007, 11:09:10 AM »

And Ronde was outstanding last year.    He basically single handedly won us that Eagles game with 2 int's for TD's.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #42 : June 18, 2007, 11:20:58 AM »

And Ronde was outstanding last year. He basically single handedly won us that Eagles game with 2 int's for TD's.

I seem to recall there being somebody's foot involved in that win as well

Balls Out

Starter
« #43 : June 18, 2007, 11:23:20 AM »

I think when you try to compare Barber with the cover corners in the league, you run in to the same problems as you do when comparing Alstott (in his prime) to the other fullbacks in the league...in the traditional sense of their positions (cover corner/run blocker), neither are close to the top, but when you look at what kind of impact those 2 players can provide on any given Sunday, Barber should have at least been an honerable mention.

"Some birds can only have a back archer if you flick the starter button - spocking the G spot doesn't work on all of them"

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #44 : June 18, 2007, 11:26:48 AM »

I have always thought that argument was lame McCaddy - for one reason - a team picks a cb for their system and the guy excells producing great results evey year.  And someone argues he would not have done that in another system.  Fine, now take the guy from another system and watch him perform in the system Monte has- and he would stink it up. 

Just go by the value of the player to the team he plays on, and what he does for the team.  It is not a problem it is just wrong thinking.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: prisco's top 50 players...not a buc in sight « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools