Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Defensive Line « previous next »
Page: 1

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: June 17, 2007, 09:13:19 AM

What could be better than having Simeon Rice playing on your D-Line?
How about having two of him? Every Draft prognosticator invariably compared Gaines Adams to sack artist, Simeon Rice. As the best defensive player in the draft, Tampa scored impressively by taking Adams (6'5"/258) with the fourth pick of the first round. Rice (6'5"/268), 1st round pick of the Cardinals in1996 (same year Tampa drafted Warren Sapp) is coming off shoulder surgery that landed him on Injured Reserve last year. Despite having only 2 sacks in the 8 games prior to his surgery, the Bucs anticipate Rice getting back to his prior sack happy pace.

When Coach Gruden introduced Adams to the media, he stated that Adams needs to be ready for Walter Jones, the Seattle LT, in game one. Hopefully, Rice will be 100% by then as well. Adams is explosive at the snap and gets great burst off the edge in his pass rush. He'll need good coaching to develop his ability to recognize blocking schemes. He has powerful hands to control most LT's and can disengage when the ball is coming toward him. He'll also need to learn some tricks from Rice about handling double teams. As a senior at Clemson, Adams became more disciplined against the run and can track down the runner from behind and can explode into his tackles. Adams can also deflect a lot of passes when he gets those huge hands high up in the air.

http://www.pewterkrew.com/news/193.php

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 17, 2007, 01:21:03 PM

nice sig. good job with the photo shop work.  I'm happy that we landed Adams as well. 

Ericsbucs371

Hall of Famer

#2 : June 17, 2007, 03:24:32 PM

Great sig. I'm happy with Adams, the draft, and this offseason.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#3 : June 17, 2007, 04:22:09 PM

Sim and Warren weren't drafted in the same year....

wolfet

Pro Bowler

#4 : June 17, 2007, 04:38:24 PM

I think everyone is excited about Gaines.  He is definately as close as a clone to Rice as I have seen in a while.  What I hope is that he can learn to rush effectively from both sides.  Having Adams and Rice on the edge for passing downs will cause havoc in the opponents back field and make our secondary better.  I really can't wait to see how all the pieces fit.  When will Chuck Play?

T

Hall of Famer

#5 : June 17, 2007, 08:03:32 PM

I am excited about having Adams and would like to see him and Rice on the field together alot this season. I wanted Calvin Johnson but I am excited about Gaines!

SamoaJoeBucFan

Starter

#6 : June 17, 2007, 08:45:53 PM

Great pic.  Great way to pick a successor.

But on another note, Sapp was drafted in 95, and Simeon in 96.

bveghte

Pro Bowler
#7 : June 18, 2007, 03:48:41 AM

Guys, Adams already can rush well from both sides. That is one of the great things about him -- his versatility. He has a lot of experience and was very effective rushing from the LDE as well as the RDE in college. He can also drop well into coverage. He can do it all.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : June 18, 2007, 02:33:50 PM

We will see what he can do professionally very soon.  Hoping for the very best. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Defensive Line « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools