Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Alarming Gruden stat « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 11

acacius

Hall of Famer

« #15 : June 22, 2007, 09:23:24 AM »

I would be curious what any coaches record is when they pass 70% of the time.

The point isnt about winning/losing when calling 70% passes. It's about the fact that he keeps doing it and doing it and doing it eventhough the results are putrid (1-25, 13.3 points per game)

Seriously though, it's still sort of a "well, duh", particularly with our relatively solid defense.  Unless you're the Mike Martz Rams, you generally don't pass that much unless you're in full-fledged panic mode.  You pass that much because you CAN, in theory score faster, no because you necessarily WILL.  If it were actually working, you'd catch up during the course of the game and be able to switch back to a more balanced attack.  The bad part about that stat the number of times he's gone into panic-mode (even, like dalbuc notes, when it wasn't really necessary), not the poor results he's had when he's gone there.

JC510

Practice Squad

« #16 : June 22, 2007, 09:29:25 AM »

I think it's part "panic-mode" and part Gruden saying to himself: Cadillac has 22 yards on 8 carries, I'm not running it anymore.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #17 : June 22, 2007, 09:33:30 AM »

Oh and there was that Division Championship/11-5 record with him calling offensive plays two seasons ago.
The defense won that division.. we saw what happened to our "offense" in that playoff game at home...

I saw what happened to Chris Simms in that game. I also saw a team that had a chance to win in the end if the players executed. Regardless of how integral the defense was there were still offensive plays being called as far as I can remember.
Yep.. just what I expected....

Which statement that I made was false.  Chris Simms looked like a deer in head lights.  Check.  Team had a chance to win if Sheppard catches the ball.  Check.  Offensive plays were called.  Check.  Did you expect me to make something up? ;)
I'm not sure there's even an excuse for that game coming down to a last second incompletion seeing as the Bucs were at home and outpassed the Redskins 198 yards to 41, yet only scored 10 points.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #18 : June 22, 2007, 09:44:28 AM »

Oh and there was that Division Championship/11-5 record with him calling offensive plays two seasons ago.
The defense won that division.. we saw what happened to our "offense" in that playoff game at home...

I saw what happened to Chris Simms in that game. I also saw a team that had a chance to win in the end if the players executed. Regardless of how integral the defense was there were still offensive plays being called as far as I can remember.

And unfortunately Caddy looked just as bad

FartMan

Pro Bowler
« #19 : June 22, 2007, 10:08:06 AM »

"You can't let the linebackers line up in the A gaps and have the safety on the line of scrimmage and expect to have a successful running game." — Bucs coach Jon Gruden on his offense being one-dimensional last year.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
« #20 : June 22, 2007, 10:13:41 AM »

I would be curious what any coaches record is when they pass 70% of the time.

The point isnt about winning/losing when calling 70% passes. It's about the fact that he keeps doing it and doing it and doing it eventhough the results are putrid (1-25, 13.3 points per game)

So you figure that running the ball more was going to win the team more games last year?

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
« #21 : June 22, 2007, 10:20:23 AM »

Yep.. just what I expected....

Which statement that I made was false.  Chris Simms looked like a deer in head lights.  Check.  Team had a chance to win if Sheppard catches the ball.  Check.  Offensive plays were called.  Check.  Did you expect me to make something up? ;)
I'm not sure there's even an excuse for that game coming down to a last second incompletion seeing as the Bucs were at home and outpassed the Redskins 198 yards to 41, yet only scored 10 points.

Very true. Why Gruden would call for two interceptions and a fumble which allowed the skins to score 14 points on basically 10 yds of total offense is inexusable.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
« #22 : June 22, 2007, 10:21:31 AM »

I think it's part "panic-mode" and part Gruden saying to himself: Cadillac has 22 yards on 8 carries, I'm not running it anymore.

It's definitely better to keep running the ball when your getting 2 and 3 yards a carry and the defense has absolutely no intention of backing off the LOS. After the 5th down you may have a first down....or maybe not.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #23 : June 22, 2007, 10:31:17 AM »

Very true. Why Gruden would call for two interceptions and a fumble which allowed the skins to score 14 points on basically 10 yds of total offense is inexusable.
This chain is much more about Simms than Gruden.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

« #24 : June 22, 2007, 11:10:07 AM »

"The point isnt about winning/losing when calling 70% passes. It's about the fact that he keeps doing it and doing it and doing it eventhough the results are putrid (1-25, 13.3 points per game)"  -JC

EXACTLY. Doing the same thing and failing, expecting different results... Defining stupidity.

We lost to the Skins after they had produced something like 125 total yards of offense. Great offense.

Whose fault is it that the linebackers and safeties crowd the line? Playing with a rookie qb? Poor drafts? Horrible offense? Losing record? Certainly not Gruden. The buck passes right over his short self to the players. Whatta magician!

Even in losing, Chucky seems to be accomodated to no end. Instead of creative explanations, where is the digust?

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #25 : June 22, 2007, 11:20:13 AM »

I understand the complaint, it certainly has merit but games aren't as black/white as that. The fact that we had a rookie QB has an enormous impact on that putrid running attack. Than some will say "well Caddy didn't run it great with Simms in there." Think about the 2.5 games Simms played, the Bucs were behind before the game started. This team was behind in most games and if the LB's and Safties aren't backing off you have to at least try and burn them.

If anyone remembers Gruden saying many times that the team had the looks, and for big plays in a bunch of games but didn't execute. We all saw how many big plays were not executed this past season, these plays if completed can change the way that defense will play you the rest of the game. 

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #26 : June 22, 2007, 12:05:26 PM »

Yeah, Gruden won the division with Monte's team.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

« #27 : June 22, 2007, 11:59:12 AM »

"What if" does not amount to production. Ask Schottenheimer about that. Bottom line, Gruden, like all other coaches, is paid to WIN

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

« #28 : June 22, 2007, 12:04:14 PM »

Also, this situation is not unique to Gruden. How many other teams can say.... "we coulda been 10-6 if it were not for a couple of plays.."
We have heard a lot of that around here.

Before trickery, before the genius status, Gruden's job as a coach is to make sure that plays are executed. We have found another excuse for Gruden in this case. When does the accountability that is preached so often amongst players fall upon the "leader"/coach of the team? 
These explanations reak of revisionist desparation.

JC510

Practice Squad

« #29 : June 22, 2007, 12:04:59 PM »

The scary thing now is that Gruden doesnt have a blocking FB behind Alstott, instead going with a finese-pass catching FB in Askew.
Basically we'll never see this next year...
  Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Alarming Gruden stat « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools