Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Antonio Bryant is still a free agent. Do we need him? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9

« #15 : June 24, 2007, 06:32:35 PM »

if he can stay out of trouble possibly

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

« #16 : June 24, 2007, 07:05:59 PM »

Tonilynn - I'm with you. I just think that there will need to be some time built in for the adjustments. I remember Dungy's first year - he lost his first 5 games before his defense "got it" and he ended up 6-10. I'm hoping that because we don't have to re-invent the wheel by hiring a new coach (thank you Glazers), the Bucs should win 1-2 more games than that record. New d-line coach, new players at several key positions, while upgrades will take some time to get on the same page. The depletion/decline of the defense was really noticeable last year. Much transition on that side of the ball and on offense particularly at o-line and QB. Again, while all this was an upgrade it may take some time to "gel" (hate that word).

It could just as easily be that the gelling takes place in TC and the pre-season and Gruden jumps out of the gates winning - that table is set for him with the 4th place schedule, as you mentioned.

I have stated before, and for most of the reasons you mentioned, that I am cautiously optimistc heading into this seson. I think there is still reason to downplay that optimism until we see some productivity when it begins to count.

I'd also like to have some depth at WR QB and DT going into camp....but that's just me.

So YEAH, bring this guy in!

Incomparable sig by Incognito

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

« #17 : June 25, 2007, 12:48:58 AM »

vet min if he acts out of line then hes out!! Make it clear to him that he has this bad attitude prob that he needs to get rid of or if not he will get cut then no nfl team will want him. Its as simple as that.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

« #18 : June 25, 2007, 12:56:11 AM »

I'm all for it Simms2Clayton05, but he has the attitude because teams need what he's got - I think he's looking for a team where he doesn't have to give it away...and he'll probably find it too.

Huey Freeman

Starter
« #19 : June 25, 2007, 01:25:56 AM »

Maybe there's a reason that he's not signed?  Could it be the suspension?  Or because he is a first rate A$$&*^%?  He's a less talented and more troubling Carl Pickens. 

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

« #20 : June 25, 2007, 01:33:26 AM »

I think the young Gruden would have grabbed him - but I bet the post KJ Gruden say's "...Nah, pass..."

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #21 : June 25, 2007, 01:36:49 AM »

At first, I was not that enthused about letting the guy in...

But after the BUcs signed Stevens, I thought, "What could it hurt?"

Antonio is  amuch better wideout than Stevens is a TE, and both have issues.

For a reasonable fare, he should get a contract.  If he acts out, cut him loose to the pool again.  No denying the man has better talent than anyone on the roster (wideouts) sans Joey Galloway.

The offense needs another high production threat to keep teams off balance.  Clayton isn't it.  Sorry to all the guys that still support MC80 (is he still a team captain?), I just think he is a slow, no-juke having, run blocking WR that doesn't really help the offense out all that much (anymore).  Gruden would be wise to consider signing this guy.  Bryant may be out for two games, but the risk/reward is very clearly present.  And GRuden can always Keyshawn him if he acts like a turd.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

« #22 : June 25, 2007, 01:57:23 AM »

I like the way you turned Keyshawn into a verb, Boid - a negative verb at that!

We definitely need a WR that can apply some pressure on opposing defenses. I realize we can't build everywhere at once and we have to use the talent that is available. It would be nice to have a back up for my man Galloway!

Huey Freeman

Starter
« #23 : June 25, 2007, 02:05:53 AM »

Jeremy Stevens is a troubled guy, but he's never been labeled a cancer.  He is more self-destructive than anything else.  Antonio Bryant on the other hand is not only self destructive, but an absolute moral killer.  There is no doubt that he is a talented player, but he is looking for his 4th team in 6 years.  

It's not conducive to say "Stevens is a troubled player and the Bucs signed him, so signing Bryant would be the same situation."  It's not.  The NFL is a small community.  GMs, coaches,  and especially players know the reputations of the guys on other teams.  

Bryant won the Biletnikoff Award in 2000 and had excellent NFL measurables, but fell in the 2002 draft because of his character.  He's has done little to prove those assessments wrong during his time in the league thus far.  

Besides, he's not THAT good to overlook all of this.  The only way I see the Bucs signing him is if they have a significant injury in camp and need to out of desperation.  

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

« #24 : June 25, 2007, 02:30:18 AM »

We just can't seem to get away from those types...I'm wondering if we ought to call in Tanya Harding...you know David Boston had that reputation before the injury (I kid).

I wouldn't be against taking a chance on him (Pittman and Boston both had reputations of being charcter issues before they got here - both have been hard workers since).

I just think Gruden will take a waiver on Bryant...smells too much like KJ and McCardell.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

« #25 : June 25, 2007, 09:44:44 AM »

No way.. he is a locker room killer. Let him go play for the Falcons or Panthers.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #26 : June 25, 2007, 09:56:56 AM »

Someone offered that Bryant has/had a good relationship with Galloway while in Dallas - then with Joey left and Parcells arrived it went to crap.  Perhaps Galloway could assist again - just sayin.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #27 : June 25, 2007, 10:22:08 AM »

Someone offered that Bryant has/had a good relationship with Galloway while in Dallas - then with Joey left and Parcells arrived it went to crap. Perhaps Galloway could assist again - just sayin.
Good point.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #28 : June 25, 2007, 10:27:40 AM »

Someone offered that Bryant has/had a good relationship with Galloway while in Dallas - then with Joey left and Parcells arrived it went to crap.  Perhaps Galloway could assist again - just sayin.

Actually Bryant had a good relationship with Parcells.  Until he brought in Keyshawn.  Bryant who had produced the year earlier was automatically demoted on the depth chart for Keyshawn aka Meshawn.

Having played in a sport where I had to climb the depth chart (from 7th to 1st) being demoted on the depth chart for a new comer who is a possesion WR (Keyshawn) when you were a dual threat with Galloway attacking deep would infuriate me as well.  Parcells made a big mistake by doing that in my honest opinion.

With that said Galloway would have giving the team the green light if Bryant was worth pursuing.  Maybe he already did and the team is mulling it over.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #29 : June 25, 2007, 10:33:24 AM »

Actually Bryant had a good relationship with Parcells.  Until he brought in Keyshawn.  Bryant who had produced the year earlier was automatically demoted on the depth chart for Keyshawn aka Meshawn.

Bryant never had a good relationship with Parcells - who always saw him as a mouthy punk that couldn't back it up.  When Bryant went nuts on Parcells it wasn't big out of the blue news.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.
  Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Antonio Bryant is still a free agent. Do we need him? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools