Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Court: NYC Police cannot arrest women who go topless « previous next »
Page: 1

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

: June 25, 2007, 12:51:28 PM

New York City pays $29,000 for arresting topless woman

NEW YORK (AP) -- A woman arrested for exposing her breasts has accepted a $29,000 settlement from the city, her lawyer said.

Jill Coccaro, 27, was arrested on a topless stroll two years ago, despite a 1992 state appeals court ruling that concluded women should have the same right as men to take off their shirts.

Coccaro, who now goes by the name Phoenix Feeley, remained in custody for 12 hours before she was told prosecutors were not going to pursue charges.

Her attorney, Jeffrey Rothman, told the Daily News that his client won the civil rights settlement from the city, which did not admit or deny wrongdoing.

"We hope the police learn a lesson and respect the rights of women to go topless," Rothman said.

Feeley told the New York Post that she was not treated well after her August 4, 2005, arrest in Manhattan's Lower East Side section. She claimed in an October lawsuit that a police officer yanked her out of a patrol car by her hair and police took her to a hospital for a psychiatric evaluation.

She told the newspaper she had gone bare-breasted after running the 2004 city marathon without police bothering her.

"I've always just felt that was something natural," Feeley said of going topless.
"I've kind of always done it out of practicality."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/06/18/topless.settlement.ap/index.html

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#1 : June 25, 2007, 12:54:42 PM

If NYC is going to allow topless women and it becomes the norm, I may have to move back to NY!

I've seen that once here in Manhattan Beach. Some girl was laying out on her front porch along
the beach for all to see.

Lynch47

Hall of Famer

#2 : June 25, 2007, 02:01:48 PM

Do myself and the city a favor and stay where you are ;D

spartan

Hall of Famer
#3 : June 25, 2007, 04:16:46 PM

Her attorney, Jeffrey Rothman, told the Daily News that his client won the civil rights settlement from the city, which did not admit or deny wrongdoing.

"We hope the police learn a lesson and respect the rights of women to go topless," Rothman said.

I wonder if he was able to say this with a straight face, and if so if he realized just how stupid he sounded?

Runole

Hall of Famer
#4 : June 25, 2007, 04:40:17 PM

Personally, I think the nation as a whole is quite warped when it comes to nudity.  That being said there is a time a place for everything and usually modesty prevails on such issues.  The outrage is what I don't quite understand.  Guess I am different but nudity has never been that big of deal to me.  If I saw a man or woman running down the street naked I would be slightly amused definitely not outraged.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#5 : June 25, 2007, 04:51:41 PM

I think there should be guidelines on which girls are allowed to show their breasts.    I wouldn't want a Rosie O'Donnell walking past me topless.    Hell, if she walked past me clothed it would be bad enough.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#6 : June 25, 2007, 09:35:10 PM

I wonder if he was able to say this with a straight face, and if so if he realized just how stupid he sounded?

Actually there have been court cases that affirm the right for women to go in public topless in locations where men allowed to go topless. The courts have been consistant in saying by preventing one gender from doing so is sexual discrimination and violation of the 14th amendment which states that a law must apply to each person equally without regard to race or gender. And when police arrest women that do it, the city usually ends up paying a settlement. This happened in St. Louis several years ago. And as a result the city council voted that women are allowed to go topless "as long as it isn't being done during a business transaction."

If you want to make it illegal for women to go topless in public, then you also have to make it illegal for men to go topless as well. That's what the courts say. We're in the era of equal rights. Men and women are supposed to be treated equally under the laws.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Court: NYC Police cannot arrest women who go topless « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools