Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Landmark SCOTUS ruling on race and education « previous next »
Page: 1

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

: June 28, 2007, 08:15:34 PM

The US Supreme Court today made a ruling that may effect your child's education...

To put it in blunt terms, the court ruled 5-4 that public school districts can no longer use race to assign students to schools. Some say this actually comes into conflict with parts of the 53-year old decision of the infamous Brown vs the Board of Education decision that ended segregation.

Two different school districts were part of the decision, one in Seattle and the other in Kentucky. Both districts had similar plans that included busing some students long distances in order to diversify classrooms that may be considered disproportionately white, black, or hispanic. Many school districts across the nation have similar plans that will be effected by this ruling. Parents sued the school districts and won today in the Supreme Court.

The court ruled that by assigning students to schools based on their race is a violation of the equal protection clause of the constitution. And many think this will open the door for this court to eventually rule affirmative action unconstitutional.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070628/ts_nm/usa_race_schools_dc;_ylt=AqnnyA4v0tlRcHhNxgWvxgvMWM0F

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#1 : June 28, 2007, 08:26:06 PM

Good!  I had to ride the bus for an hour every morning to go to Booker T Washington in 7th grade for that exact reason.  It was ridiculous.

superbuc

Practice Squad
#2 : June 28, 2007, 08:47:53 PM

Maybe it's because of my job (financial) and that I'm an entrepreneur at heart.  I'm in favor of efficient markets - folks decide value and the successful survive - this is how it should be in for-profit and not-for-profit institutions.

The "successful" are determined by the market, not race, religion, education, sex, height, and etc. (as long as folks stick to their values and treat each other with respect.  Doesn't the constitution say "an unalienable right to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness"? 

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : June 28, 2007, 09:29:03 PM

it's stupid to bus kids for an hour or two hours just to diversify a classroom. i'm glad they made this ruling. so what if an entire school is 98% black or 98% white. If it's in a predominantly black or white neighborhood than it should be.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#4 : June 29, 2007, 09:25:27 AM

it's stupid to bus kids for an hour or two hours just to diversify a classroom. i'm glad they made this ruling. so what if an entire school is 98% black or 98% white. If it's in a predominantly black or white neighborhood than it should be.

Agree, schools in mostly white areas can't exclude black kids or vice versa but that's about all that we should worry about. Trying to get some right mix of kids is goofy. I don't think there's any study that shows that having a few more white/black kids in amongst whatever the predominant color is in a classroom makes the rest of the kids, or those kids, perform better.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#5 : June 29, 2007, 09:42:40 AM

This ruling is going to impact my area. The school board here has been complaining for years that some schools are too white and others are too black. So last year they decided to redraw the lines. Some of the zones were so ridiculous that a kid could be living across the street from a school but couldn't go there. He had to get on a bus for an hour because the school he lives near has "too many white people."

The School Board practically said the only reason to be against the plan was if you were racist and pro-segregation.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Landmark SCOTUS ruling on race and education « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools