Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden on Gradkowski...does he love his boy, or WHAT? « previous next »
Page: 1

: November 02, 2006, 05:00:24 PM

Gruden said (I'm paraphrasing what he said about the G-Cow facing the 'Aints for the second time): They have changed a bit since we faced them, but he should know their personnel.  he should know, as he's going to be the QB here for some time.

/end Gru speak

Begin my interpretation:

I think it's surprising how clear he is about G-Cow's status.  Gradkowski is the starter for the rest of the year, barring any catastrophe.  Probably beyond this year...  I think it's nice that he's showing this much confidence, I'm just surprised...

Anyway...discuss, you rabid band of rippers.  ;)

BTW: Source is a Whitney Johnson "Sports Attack" on W-D-A-EEEeeeeee!

#1 : November 02, 2006, 05:36:51 PM

I like to hear it too... Coaches need to have confidence in their players just as much as the players need confidence in themselves...

Yeah, I agree to a point.  I think it is putting alot on the line for Grads, and I hope it pays off.  I do like alot of elements of what Grads is doing.  I'm just interested to hear Gruden come out and call him THE starter.

Also...Ditka was just on the radio...Gave Grads somewhat cautious praise.  Saying that Gruden MUST be pleased, that Grads is making the most of a difficult situation.  He said that Grads has been impressive.

psymun

Starter
#2 : November 02, 2006, 05:23:40 PM

I like to hear it too... Coaches need to have confidence in their players just as much as the players need confidence in themselves...

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#3 : November 02, 2006, 05:45:05 PM

I have a feeling we're all getting a little carried away. Bruce's performance has declined sharply since his debut, but he has scarcely turned the ball over which is the most important thing for a rookie QB. I dont understand why we dont jus run the F*** out of the ball? If Bruce isnt commiting turnovers, we run the ball well and play decent defense, we can beat anyone, so long as we dont go down to a 10+ point lead early.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 02, 2006, 05:50:17 PM

I have a feeling we're all getting a little carried away. Bruce's performance has declined sharply since his debut, but he has scarcely turned the ball over which is the most important thing for a rookie QB. I dont understand why we dont jus run the F*** out of the ball? If Bruce isnt commiting turnovers, we run the ball well and play decent defense, we can beat anyone, so long as we dont go down to a 10+ point lead early.

Because any decent defense in this league that wants to stop you from doing something offensively CAN stop you from doing that thing offensively. Since we have a rookie QB, every defense intends to stop our run game. Since Grads hasn't been effective with his long ball as yet, he has yet to make defenses pay the price that comes for committing to stopping us from running the football. Once he does, however, then our offense becomes more balanced.

Remember: just about ANY decent defense in this league can take away one player or one dimension from your offense. However, doing so comes with a price. You MUST make them pay it. Once you do, then they have to play you honest.

That's how it works.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#5 : November 02, 2006, 05:51:20 PM

I like that he is committed to Bruce, but you have to keep in mind that Gruden falls in and out of love with QBs quickly...Right now he is infatuated with Grads, at one time it was Brad and then Griese. Remember the "I'd sell my house to keep him here" comment?    I do hope Grads will pan out, as we really need some damn consistency at the QB position around here

#6 : November 02, 2006, 05:58:08 PM

Well, I don't think this post in particular was getting carried away.  If anything, I'm ambivalent about Grads.  We DO need to get more out of the QB position.  I just think that it's interesting that Gruden feels this way about Grads.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden on Gradkowski...does he love his boy, or WHAT? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools