Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Chris Simms Second Guessing? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#30 : June 30, 2007, 08:40:52 PM

In the first 3 games we got outrushed 512 to 140. Thats a freaking embarrassment.

At least that's one thing we agree on.

I think Simms was a big part of the problem along with the OL. My problem with Simms is opposing defenses have the blueprint on how to play him and it was laid in that Washington playoff game. Yes the OL got whipped but a less deliberate QB can evade that rush and make a play. He is unable to make a play unless it's perfect protection where he can get in rythm, take his full drop, and let the ball go. If he has to scramble it's ugly, that's where Garcia will prove to be a difference maker for this offense.

Simms had all off-season, all TC, all preseason to be ready in '06. He was primed to come in and show that he's progressed as a QB and lead this team for the next 8 years. He didn't prove it, if he had progressed you would have seen it in those first 3 games.
He came out and sucked balls crippling this offense. I hope Plummer shows up so Simms is dealt.

blitz

Pro Bowler
#31 : June 30, 2007, 09:29:39 PM

Sorry but Garcia is a leader.  Chris is not at this point.  Teammates like him as a person but don't believe in him as the leader of the team.  Gruden has no options at this point and past experience means he better stay on the hunt for another QB because Simms is looking like Fieldler did last year.   Our insurance policy is pretty shaky at this point.    Grads will be a better backup option than he was last year but this team needs a veteran leader behind Garcia.   I'd love to heard some of  those phone conversations that Allen and Plummer have had. 

sprung4bucs

Rookie

#32 : June 30, 2007, 09:52:48 PM

Again, for Simms not to realize that Gruden was going to add Garcia or some vet, makes me question Simms intelligence.

Ha! 

In a video interview, Simms actually stated that Gruden would likely bring in a troup of QBs.  I believe his expectations were that he, as starter returning from injury, would have heavy "competition" for his spot.  He eluded to a hope that no favoritism would be shown and the competition would be open.  No  expectations of being "given" a start, but open competition, at the least, in training camp.

You would think he woulda knew the Bucs were going to add another QB.....

Bottom Line: I think Simms knew the Bucs were going to add a QB, but he expected to be the starter. I guess when you know you have no shot to beat out Garcia(more so that hes playing better then the people who say Gruden doesnt like Simms), you would second guess your decision.

The fact is he didn't second guess himself.  Stop letting the headline lead your thoughts.  To say "I don't know" to the question is hardly questioning yourself.  What - a - stretch.

Gruden PROBABLY LOVES THE KID...to give that piece of trash 2.5 mil a year after he broke his spleen and stunk up the joint.

That can't be.  Besides, Gruden didn't have the courtesy to communicate with Simms regarding his status; all the "personnel" direction and communication was brought by Allen, the General Manager.

Big_MAC_Buc

Starter
#33 : June 30, 2007, 10:22:48 PM

Why are all you Simms supporters panties in a bunch about Gruden announcing Garcia the starter? I don't get it, this isn't a brand new thing here, it's been done over and over. While Gruden thought it would be an open competition, watching Simms slow recorvery has probably changed his mind. He sees how far off Simms is right now, settle down about it.

I really feel there's no grey area with Gruden, it's all black and white. He says what he feels and isn't a calculated as some on here want to think.

I gotta agree with you about Gruden.  How many times does it have to be said that he knows he has to win to keep his job and that he is going to play the guys who he thinks will win for him. He might not always make the right decisions, but his decisions are based on who he believes are going to make plays, not on who he likes or doesn't like. He is not a groupie playing his favorites in a fantasy league. Professional football is a hard-nosed business. If a head coach only chose players he liked he would never be able to field a team.

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth. --Umberto Eco

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#34 : June 30, 2007, 10:25:13 PM

His decision making is impeccable and he's got a cannon.

The first part of this comment is complete nonsense and he's got a strong arm but takes too long to wind up and release.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#35 : June 30, 2007, 10:37:06 PM

We're watching a completely different player then JC. The line wasn't great last year but that doesn't totally explain the 1 TD and 7 int stat he threw up last year. He's going to have to prove that's an anomaly and I don't think he's got the mentals to prove it.

Why are all you Simms supporters panties in a bunch about Gruden announcing Garcia the starter? I don't get it, this isn't a brand new thing here, it's been done over and over. While Gruden thought it would be an open competition, watching Simms slow recorvery has probably changed his mind. He sees how far off Simms is right now, settle down about it.

I really feel there's no grey area with Gruden, it's all black and white. He says what he feels and isn't a calculated as some on here want to think.

In the last 8 regular season games of 2005 he had 3 INTs. That is lights out QB play.

Simms played pretty well in three of those games. The rest of them he survived.

Against the Ravens if we had Jeff Garcia the score would still have been 27-0, the line got whooped for 60 minutes.

The interception making the score 14-0 was thrown by whom?

Against ATL we got outrushed 306 to 40. Enough said.

Who was it who gave the ball to the Falcons on the Bucs 12 and turned it over at the Falcons 1?

Any conclusion other than there was lousy QB play in the first 3 games is absurd.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#36 : June 30, 2007, 10:44:35 PM

A respectful coach would not even mention starter, and I am sure when they were negotiating with Simms, nothing came up about Earning a start, which he has already done twice for this team.
I guess some Gruden lovers will claim its his way of motivating his QB's, like going off on Simms to the media about when he was drafted, yet putting all his hopes into a QB that was not even good enough to be drafted in the NFL and another that went in the 6th round.
You chose to judge Simms by his worst games, well try judging Garcia by his worse games and you won't like what you see either.
Throw in the fact that he is 37, and has a noodle arm and you are left with not much of a QB IMO.

Karl the truth was on tv a few nites ago and was asked about Garcia being named the starter.... his response was that it was a good thing and that all players want/need to know who the guy is going into camp. I'll take his word over yours.

Secondly, when has Chris "earned" the starting job twice? He got the gig when a 5-1 Griese got hurt and ended with a 6-5 record of his own.... hardly a glowing resume. Last year, he "earned" the starting job by default... after competing with a 6th round rookie.

Amen "Hate".  You'd think eventually this guy woudl understand that.  Dude's living in lala land if he thinks Simms actually beat out anyone to be the starter here.

JC510

Practice Squad

#37 : July 01, 2007, 10:02:42 AM

The first part of this comment is complete nonsense and he's got a strong arm but takes too long to wind up and release.

Right, complete nonsense. Thats why Simms has a 1.2 INT% when Cadillac runs for 3.7 ypc or better. Jeff Garcia had a 1.43 INT% last year when Westbrook ran for atleast 4.3 every game. Some how that translates to Garcia is perfect for this system and Simms sucks. This reminds of this last time last year when most people were hyping up Fiedler and saying how much Rattay sucks, just 100 times more meaningful.

How come when Cadillac has crappy games, alot of them, its because of the line. But when Simms has crappy games, directly related to when Cadillac has his crappy games, its because he sucks and he's not fit for the system? Double standard much? Oh wait, here comes "Simms hurt the running game" and "Garcia will help the running game". Right, Garcia's 5th grade arm is gonna really open things up.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#38 : July 01, 2007, 10:04:19 AM

Clueless....

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#39 : July 01, 2007, 10:40:09 AM

Chris has a very high opinion of his ability. We knew this as far back as the draft when he was stunned he fell to the third. That confidence is certainly something necessary in a pro player, but I think he's not realistic in his self-assessment. The contract he turned down was more than fair value for him, and he did himself a disservice by not taking it -- the staff obviously knew his current skill level better than he did. Had he been a bit more realistic he migh not have passed on that. That was his mistake, re-signing here this year wasn't

As for changing his mind "knowing what he knows now", what exactly does that mean? Knowing that they were bringing in a Vet after his horrible showing? He already knew that was coming. Knowing that his motion was shot? I wonder how that would be any different had he not signed with us this year.

Chris still has a chance here, he's just got to earn it. How about that. Having to earn something. Thats not really a terrible thing. Just show that you can be the guy, Tampa is his best chance for that, had he gone somewhere else with his hurt motion and had to learn a new system he'd be sitting all year now matter what. Here at least he can work his way back to the #2 spot.

agreed. Chris has been around Gruden long enough now to understand Gruden's love affair with vet QB's.  Hell, we are linked to every vet FA QB each offseason.  He knew we were going to upgrade the position with a few more bodies this offseason, whether we signed him or not.  By his as own admission, his rehab hasn't gone well so kudos to the front office for signing Garcia in addition to Simms.  I'm still not sure I like the Plummer move. but with the possibility of Simms going to the PUP becoming increasingly likely, maybe we need Jake to shave his mountain man beard and get his butt here for TC. 

I feel sorry that Simms suffered a life threatening injury but I dont feel bad about his spot on the depth chart.  Simms was the undisputed starter heading into 2006 and quite frankly he sucked rocks in our first few games last year.  Maybe he needs the competition to perform. I dont know where the hell his mental block on batted balls came from but you have to wonder if he didn't get a little complacent based on 2005 and that led to his poor play in early 2006.  I like the fact that he's now the underdog and if he wants to even climb back to the #2 spot then he'll have to light it up in TC and the preseason.  He is a grown man and shouldn't be afraid of competition.  From the article it sounds like he is ready to accept the challenge. I hope so.  He has the best physical tools of any QB on the roster and Gruden is clearly trying to light a fire under him.  Time for Chris to sack up.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#40 : July 01, 2007, 10:46:59 AM

How many times does it have to be said that he knows he has to win to keep his job and that he is going to play the guys who he thinks will win for him.

I dont think your job needs to be on the line in order to play the guy who is gonna win. Even if Grudens job aint on the line, he's still playin Garcia over Simms.

Simms is at best an average QB. His record is less than stellar. His decision making is FAR from impeccable. Can't believe someone said that.

He's got a strong arm and he can throw a real pretty deep ball. Too bad you cant just have Joey G just run 40 yard sprints every play. Simms is gone. He'll never be the QB of the Bucs again. I'll bet next offseason the Bucs bring in another guy to take the reigns from Garcia.

#41 : July 01, 2007, 10:50:22 AM

Thats why Simms has a 1.2 INT% when Cadillac runs for 3.7 ypc or better. Jeff Garcia had a 1.43 INT% last year when Westbrook ran for atleast 4.3 every game. Some how that translates to Garcia is perfect for this system and Simms sucks. This reminds of this last time last year when most people were hyping up Fiedler and saying how much Rattay sucks, just 100 times more meaningful.

How come when Cadillac has crappy games, alot of them, its because of the line. But when Simms has crappy games, directly related to when Cadillac has his crappy games, its because he sucks and he's not fit for the system? Double standard much? Oh wait, here comes "Simms hurt the running game" and "Garcia will help the running game". Right, Garcia's 5th grade arm is gonna really open things up.

So does this mean that after 5 yrs in the league, Simms is not capable of winning games on his own?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#42 : July 01, 2007, 11:00:05 AM

Thats why Simms has a 1.2 INT% when Cadillac runs for 3.7 ypc or better. Jeff Garcia had a 1.43 INT% last year when Westbrook ran for atleast 4.3 every game. Some how that translates to Garcia is perfect for this system and Simms sucks. This reminds of this last time last year when most people were hyping up Fiedler and saying how much Rattay sucks, just 100 times more meaningful.

So does this mean that after 5 yrs in the league, Simms is not capable of winning games on his own?

Funny, you said that because that's exactly what I was thinking.  I'm just tired of replying to guys like this one and the other blatant Simms can do no wrong guy(s).

#43 : July 01, 2007, 11:02:16 AM

JC510, I understand that you have your allegiance to Simms and i can respect that but where does this theory that Garcia has a "5th grade arm" come from?

JC510

Practice Squad

#44 : July 01, 2007, 11:07:09 AM

JC510, I understand that you have your allegiance to Simms and i can respect that but where does this theory that Garcia has a "5th grade arm" come from?

Don't worry, you'll find out.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Chris Simms Second Guessing? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools