Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: State your allegiance: SIMMS or NO SIMMS « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

« #30 : July 07, 2007, 11:54:17 PM »

Wow, what a highlight reel.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
« #31 : July 08, 2007, 12:07:58 AM »

Wow, what a highlight reel.

What's interesting is that the video is mistitled. It reads "Chris Simms game winning TD pass" when it was Alstott's two pointer than won the game.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

« #32 : July 08, 2007, 01:22:57 PM »

I'll support him because Simms is a Buc. That being said, we're going into year 5 in this system for him and he's actually regressed from a promising performance during the 2005 season. If it hasn't happened by now in Tampa, it might be time for him to move on. The mental part of that spleen injury and subsequent surgery will be much harder to iron out than his simple mechanical difficulties that have arisen.

As much as I've always liked Chris, I just don't see it happening in Tampa. Now he may go elsewhere and tear it up, and that's fine, I just don't see it in Tampa. I like Simms, but I LOVE the Bucs which means I want what's best for the team as a whole, and at this time Garcia is what's best for the team at the QB position.

I love the Bucs and the only reason Simms doesn't fit in here is because we have a weak O-line and a bad O-line coach IMO. If going 9-7 and getting blown up in the playoffs is the short term goal then Garcia may very well be the answer, and I have a feeling that is the goal because Gruden doesn't want to lose his job, but if a 37 year old QB who has not taken the beating of a 16 game NFL season in quite a few years gets injured, our only other viable option is a QB that does not fit the system, where does that leave us? Where does it leave us if age has caught up to Garcia as it has with Favre? We have seen what Garcia does with a playmaking HB behind a good O-line for less than half a season, and we saw what he did behind an O-line no worse than ours and offensive talent no better than ours.
Will Gruden leave Garcia in regardless as he did with Grad's until it was much too late? Will he give Simms a chance to get healthy and really give him a look in TC, and Pre-Season. or as I think has his mind already been made up regardless?
Your contention is that Simms is not the QB for the Buc's mine is that Simms may or may not be, but IMO Gruden is not the coach we need, he is the coach that can maybe take a team with a lot of talent and little insipration and pull the trigger, but not build a team from scratch.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

« #33 : July 08, 2007, 02:35:53 PM »

Not everybody uses a drop back protect the pocket offense such as Parcells uses. Gruden never has - yet McKay still spent a 1st day draft pick on Simms. He was a poor decision maker in college. Anyone who says that Texas was a run based offense so Simms was constricted there also, is dodging two truths:

1) Major Applewhite outplayed Chris Simms in college he was under 6' - had wheels and could, and did, sling it. He usually bailed the team out of the jamb Chris put them in.

2) Everyone always makes excuses for Chris.

This is a west coast offense - it is the reason we brought Jon Gruden in. It means we need a mobile decision maker and due to cap constraints and lost draft picks we did not have access to the QB Gruden needed. He made this work with Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson - two very different QB's. They had one thing in common - good decision makers. Simms has slow feet, slow delivery, slow mental processes.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #34 : July 08, 2007, 02:44:41 PM »

Simms struggled in college every time he faced a good defense.  Something like 2 TDs to 15 INTs against Top 10 teams.  Check out the Youtube video a couple of notches down on that link where Roy Williams blitzed and intercepted him for a TD to wrap up another OU victory over the 'Horns.

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

« #35 : July 09, 2007, 03:18:33 PM »

Gruden won the Superbowl with a team that was drafted and brought in by the Buccaneers scouting and personel department. I bet you thought I was going to say Dungy's team...hehe...got ya. I was listening to Ron and Ian this morning which is normally a waste of time but they brought up a great point this morning. Our personel department under McKay/Dungy built the team that won the Superbowl. Of course JJ and McCardell were brought in under that same personel department as well. Since that time each and every person responsible for building that team is gone. Now Gruden controls it all and we are losing and have yet to win a playoff game with "his team". Simms beat out every QB we've had since he's been here and is the only QB on our roster that has gotten us into the playoffs. Without him we would have lost 3-4 more games that year but because of his clutch performances in bringing us back in those games we won. He may not fit the system perse but he is still young and accurate. How about this, WHERE WAS THE SHOTGUN LAST YEAR??? I imagine Simms passes would get batted down a hell of a lot less if we had instituted the shotgun and I'll bet he wouldn't have to get his head beaten in is we used it as well. But no, we wait to bring in a 37 year old, can't win in the playoffs, WCO QB that Gruden is fawning over in order to institute the shotgun.  I am a Bucs fan first but believe that Gruden will never give Simms that tools or the chance to succeed in his offense. So although I am a Simms fan and think he could be successful here if given the tools and the chance, if Gruden is not going to  give him these things I'd rather see him move on. I will root for him like I do for Dungy but will always support the Bucs first. Even with Gruden as the head coach although I hope he gets fired soon.

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

skip

Starter

« #36 : July 09, 2007, 03:47:35 PM »

Can anyone imagine what will happen if Garcia goes down with an injury? Gradkowski?? I don't think so, lets not run Simms out of town just yet.

buckit

Hall of Famer

« #37 : July 09, 2007, 03:51:46 PM »

I like Simms.  But you know what I like more?  Winning.  Fact:  Jeff Garcia gives the Bucs a better opportunity to win games than Simms does.  Does it mean I don't like Simms?  No.  Does it mean I don't want him here?  No.  I just think Garcia is better.  Plumber would have been too.  Grads I don't think is, but then again I'm not in camp so I don't see what Gruden and Hackett see.  Bottom line with Simms is this:  He's a freakin head case.  He's got all the physical tools to be a great NFL QB.  He just gets a head full of spiders and makes stupid mistakes, panics and doesn't make his reads.  It surely doesn't help that Gruden gives the impression that he cannot wait to pull him.  But it is what it is.  Garcia can win games, of that I'm fairly certain.  As for Simms, I can't make that same statement with anywhere near the level of surety.

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

« #38 : July 09, 2007, 04:15:59 PM »

We'll see if Garcia can win us more games. I'm positive we'll see that. What I'm not positive about is how you guys give up on a guy who when given a good all around game by the running game and the defense has won a very high percentage of games. Garcia or any other QB is not going to win consistantly when the running game is in the toilet, the blocking gives no time to throw, the receivers are falling down on their routes and dropping balls, and the defense is giving up gamewinning drives with less than 4 minutes to go in the game. Nobody. Maybe Garcia is better in the short term, but really, what has he done. Even in San Fran he couldn't get it done in the postseason. With a much more talented team in Philly he failed in the post season. Really, what has he done? He sucked in Detroit and Cleveland which have teams that appear to be comparable in talent with what we have now. Simms has won with this talent and the team around him doing their jobs. In my opinion it is not Simms that's the problem.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #39 : July 09, 2007, 04:21:45 PM »

What I'm not positive about is how you guys give up on a guy who when given a good all around game by the running game and the defense has won a very high percentage of games.

What are you smoking? 

Lets take his best run in the team, 2005.  He was 6 and 5 with the help of the number one defense in football, and ROY at RB.  Sure he showed good progression and did a nice job but don’t blow it up into something it wasn’t or people will not take you seriously......hmmm, wait a minute, too late, carry on, never mind.   ::)

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

« #40 : July 09, 2007, 04:40:58 PM »

We were 7-4 during the regular season when Simms was QB and 0-1 in the playoffs which if not for Shepard who knows how far we would have gone. And don't kid yourself, if not for Simms and the defense in that playoff game we would have been blown out with no blocking, and no running game. You can slant the stats any way you want, but when Simms get production from the rest of the team, specifically the running game we WIN!

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

« #41 : July 09, 2007, 04:56:02 PM »

When Simms learns to get rid of the ball (either to the proper revciever or to the sideline ala Brad Johnson) and when he quits using that long wind up release - (always looking for the homerun) he MIGHT become a good QB. He might actually help his o-line by running something other than Max Protect (like using a TE to THROW a PASS to - rather than block). If he could disguise the run plays by completing passes then the RB might be able to get into the game on something other than obvious running plays - which is the purpose of the WCO - pass to set up the run.

The problem in all of that last analysis is Simms.

but all that goes away this year.

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

« #42 : July 09, 2007, 05:12:40 PM »

That is rediculous. Simms has one of the best fakes we've had here ever. It's not Simms' fault that we're in max protect, it's the crappy offensive line's fault. Like I said earlier, maybe the coach could have helped out the running game and the chance for success by instituting the shotgun before his so called savior got here. Nothing in the above statement is going to change with Garcia in there because the running back Gruden drafted is not a receiving threat and the offensive line still sucks. The shotgun should help that which should help Garcia have some success but if Caddy runs for 30-40 yards a game like he did for Simms don't look for Garcia to have any better success.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

« #43 : July 09, 2007, 05:47:55 PM »

That is rediculous. Simms has one of the best fakes we've had here ever.

You may think so, but Carolina didn't think so.

It's not Simms' fault that we're in max protect, it's the crappy offensive line's fault.

Shotgun reference: Gruden never had to use it with Gannon in Oakland, Johnson in Tampa, Greise in Tampa, and get this - Tim Rattay looked pretty good in Chicago after replacing Bruce Gradkowski   LINK without it (57 rushing yards) and when we beat Cleveland the next week Rattay was 16 of 26 for 212 yards and our rushing attack gained 153 yards LINK (utilizing 3 different backs).

Savior reference: I think that proves what a SEMI decent mobile QB (our 3rd stringer that came off the bench in the 14th game of the season) that understands the offense can do with it.

If we had this production from a 3rd string QB - imagine what a guy that is designed for this offense will do?

Like I said earlier, maybe the coach could have helped out the running game and the chance for success by instituting the shotgun before his so called savior got here.

See above shotgun reference - and Savior reference.

Nothing in the above statement is going to change with Garcia in there

Wrong, as I've proven everything changes with the right QB.

because the running back Gruden drafted is not a receiving threat and the offensive line still sucks. The shotgun should help that which should help Garcia have some success.

Garcia has proven to utilize the shotgun very effectively - most of the success comes from disguising runs with it. I am not REALLY sure it will be used if they don't have anymore success with it than they've seen in TC. We don't have a center with a lot of success with it. The guy we want at center was a Guard last year. IMO - don't look for the shotgun.

but if Caddy runs for 30-40 yards a game like he did for Simms don't look for Garcia to have any better success.

See Savior reference above. I don't expect Caddy to have many more 30 to 40 yd games.

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

« #44 : July 09, 2007, 06:10:45 PM »

Again, when your running back gives you yards, and lets be honest, the competition stinks, sure a veteran backup will look good. Put any QB in there give him 30 yards rushing against  the Ravens, Falcons, or the Panthers while your defense gives up the biggest rushing performance in team history(that is Falcons team history), and a late TD drive along with no protection and no QB is going to have success. It's a team effort. All of this blaming Simms proves nothing except you not liking Simms. Like I said, it appears that we'll be seeing what Garcia can do and then we'll see what happens. I don't think he'll make it more than five games if he gets the protection that Simms got last year with no running game.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: State your allegiance: SIMMS or NO SIMMS « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools