Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Chris Simms get a fair shot to win the starting QB job? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

« : July 09, 2007, 03:03:37 PM »

It has been brought up before that during last years preseason Chris Simms played very sparingly. Probably more sparingly then most starting QBs. Grads was given a lot of the snaps that would have normally gone to the starter during TC and the preseason. That being said, now that Simms is #3 on the depth chart will Gruden continue to take snaps away from Simms in order to keep him at #3 on the depth chart or will he let him get extra snaps during TC and the preseason to help him get his mechanics back. All in all I don't think Gruden will give Simms a chance to beat out Garcia. He'll find a way to keep him playing against scrubs and even if he kills it during the preseason I don't think Gruden will allow him to earn the starting position back. In my opinion Gruden says one thing and does another. In this league normally starting QBs don't lose their job due to injury as was the case in Philly last year. Gruden has shown that this is not the case with him as head coach because he's already done in twice with Simms. I really just think he doesn't like Simms.

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #1 : July 09, 2007, 03:13:23 PM »

Fair? I'm not sure what you mean by that. If he's injured and is coming back slowly isn't classified as fair or unfair if he doesn't get a decent shot at it. If he's not healthy he doesn't deserve to get a "fair" shot, if he is healthy then he will get a "fair" shot at it.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #2 : July 09, 2007, 03:15:50 PM »

Sure he'll get a fair shot.  Gruden's job is on the line.  If Simms gives him the best chance to win then Simms will play.  Gruden is not the psychotic egomaniac that many make him out to be.  He's not going to sabotage his own employment to try to prove a point. 

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

« #3 : July 09, 2007, 03:21:02 PM »

As far as reports have indicated he is healthy but needs to recover his mechanics. How many reps is he going to get to do this and how much playing time will he get in the preseason to prove that he is the best QB for the team to win? Again, most starting QBs don't lose their jobs because of injury. See Donovan McNabb, you know, the guy who Garcia replaced in Philly!

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #4 : July 09, 2007, 03:28:40 PM »

See Donovan McNabb, you know, the guy who Garcia replaced in Philly!

problem with that is Simms isn't close to McNabb which throws that horrible example out the window. If you blow goats after an injury of course you'll lose your starting job. Simms is mentally done, he's done. I have never in my life seen an NFL player done mentally until Simms.

Watchman

Starter

« #5 : July 09, 2007, 03:31:26 PM »

As far as reports have indicated he is healthy but needs to recover his mechanics. How many reps is he going to get to do this and how much playing time will he get in the preseason to prove that he is the best QB for the team to win? Again, most starting QBs don't lose their jobs because of injury. See Donovan McNabb, you know, the guy who Garcia replaced in Philly!

Can't he recover his mechanics throwing to 2nd and 3rd teamers.  Should Garcia and Grads lose out on snaps in TC and preseason so Simms can recover his mechanics?  I don't think they should.  You have to able to compete in order to be in the competition.  All reports are that Simms isn't there yet.  Until he his there he'll be a non-factor.  Depending on who you ask he might not have been a factor anyway.

He'll need to prove that he's 100% on the practice field before he takes snaps away from Garcia and Grads.  And there have been QBs that lose their job due to injury.  I think it just depends on the situation.  

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

« #6 : July 09, 2007, 03:34:58 PM »

Done mentally? How is that. Rob Johnson was done mentally. Simms has yet to play a down since injury so how would you know if he was or not? That's my point, is he even going to be given a chance. Just because McNabb is a better QB doesn't blow the example either. There are 100 other examples I could make. The point is that most of the time starting QBs don't lose their job due to injury, but evidentally in Gruden's system it is common occurance. I personally think it's wrong. You either stand by your players or you don't. It sets a bad precedent to the rest of the team when a player loses their job due to injury. Whatever, Gruden is going to get fired soon anyway so I don't know why I'm wasting my time.

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

« #7 : July 09, 2007, 03:37:51 PM »

My point is by thowing to 2nd and 3rd teamers even if he kills it Gruden will be able to say it is easy for a veteran to kill it against 2nd and 3rd team defenses and for that reason along with others will not give Simms a chance to compete to win the starting job. It's Garcia or bust as far as it looks.

buckit

Hall of Famer

« #8 : July 09, 2007, 03:46:41 PM »

Define "fair".  Some would say that a player shouldn't lose their job due to injury.  However, what about a player that was turning in a subpar performance before that injury?  Make no mistake, Garcia is an upgrade over Simms.  Gruden knows this.  Garcia has proven the ability to run the WCO and win games on a more consistant basis than Simms.  Fair, in my opinion simply means keeping Simms around.  If Simms wants the job, he'll damn well have to take it away from a proven vet.  Seems fair to me.

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

Watchman

Starter

« #9 : July 09, 2007, 03:48:23 PM »

It's Garcia or bust as far as it looks.

It was Garcia or bust from the moment he signed his contract with the Bucs.  I think they only thing that could change it is Plummer reporting.  Are you surprised?  You shouldn't be.  Whether you are a Chris Simms fan or not the current situation shouldn't be a suprise to any Buc fan.

chcwarriorpoet

Second String

« #10 : July 09, 2007, 03:53:09 PM »

If Gruden doesn't like Simms why did they resign him? Why would they commit 5 million to him if they don't like the guy and don't want to give him a shot?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #11 : July 09, 2007, 03:57:42 PM »

If Gruden doesn't like Simms why did they resign him? Why would they commit 5 million to him if they don't like the guy and don't want to give him a shot?

I believe they signed Simms as insurance in case they couldn't pick up one of the FA QBs that they really liked (Plummer, Garcia).

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

« #12 : July 09, 2007, 04:02:37 PM »

Cause Gruden's an idiot, that's why they spent $5 million to resign him so that Gruden could stick him at 3rd on the depth chart. They need to either commit to the guy or trade him or release him. Keeping the guy down while he's in his prime is bullcrap. PS-No QB is going to be successful when your running game is producing 30-40 yards a game as they were in the 1st three games of last season. Simms through 50 times in the Atlanta game for over 300 yards. Simms was killing it when our offense helped him out. Again, when given the tools Simms has a very high success rate.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #13 : July 09, 2007, 04:10:48 PM »

Cause Gruden's an idiot, that's why they spent $5 million to resign him so that Gruden could stick him at 3rd on the depth chart. They need to either commit to the guy or trade him or release him.

He was signed for insurance plain and simple.  He has upside and the Buccs owed him at a twelve month contract to prove himself after of his injury.  Simms doesn't carry any trade value, which is sad for a 5th year QB.

If he is good enough he will succeed and be the starting QB, if not he will ride the pine

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

« #14 : July 09, 2007, 04:17:35 PM »

$5 million for your backup is too much money imo. Who says he doesn't have trade value? I can think of several teams that Simms would give a huge upgrade at the QB position.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Chris Simms get a fair shot to win the starting QB job? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools