Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Chris Simms get a fair shot to win the starting QB job? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #15 : July 09, 2007, 04:26:13 PM »

$5 million for your backup is too much money imo. Who says he doesn't have trade value? I can think of several teams that Simms would give a huge upgrade at the QB position.

$2-$2.5 million a year is not a lot for a 2nd string QB that hopefully has the potential to run the offence and start.  Who cares what it costs anyway, it isn’t our money and we have plenty of cap space.

If the rumors are correct, Simms’s people touted NFL GM’s prior to signing the contract and no one wanted to speak to him in FA.  Simms has a nice arm and upside but the NFL weren’t queuing up to sign his services.

T

Hall of Famer

« #16 : July 09, 2007, 04:30:20 PM »

With Gruden's job being on the line, I see Garcia barring an injury being the starter from the start of camp to the end of the season. Unless Simms bounces back big time from his problems with mechanics I doubt he sees the field this year.

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

« #17 : July 09, 2007, 04:34:33 PM »

$5 million for your backup is too much money imo. Who says he doesn't have trade value? I can think of several teams that Simms would give a huge upgrade at the QB position.

$2-$2.5 million a year is not a lot for a 2nd string QB that hopefully has the potential to run the offence and start. Who cares what it costs anyway, it isn’t our money and we have plenty of cap space.

If the rumors are correct, Simms’s people touted NFL GM’s prior to signing the contract and no one wanted to speak to him in FA. Simms has a nice arm and upside but the NFL weren’t queuing up to sign his services.

If Matt Schwab can be traded I have to believe Simms can be too. Maybe due to his injury it made it tougher. If Simms doesn't play here I see him fitting in and doing well on several other teams. At that time we're all going to be kicking ourselves in the head AGAIN like we did with Young. By the way, people bringing back stories of Simms in college. Give me a break, people did that for Manning also. College is college, the pros are the pros. Simms has brought us back to win many more times then he's threw the game losing interception.

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

« #18 : July 09, 2007, 04:42:00 PM »

he does deserve one otherwise I dont thin k he would be on the team

Formerly known as Revis Islander

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

« #19 : July 09, 2007, 04:50:58 PM »

No... Garcia is the starter barring injury no matter what.

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

« #20 : July 09, 2007, 05:19:16 PM »

$2-$2.5 million a year is not a lot for a 2nd string QB that hopefully has the potential to run the offence and start. Who cares what it costs anyway, it isn’t our money and we have plenty of cap space.

If the rumors are correct, Simms’s people touted NFL GM’s prior to signing the contract and no one wanted to speak to him in FA. Simms has a nice arm and upside but the NFL weren’t queuing up to sign his services.

If Matt Schwab can be traded I have to believe Simms can be too. Maybe due to his injury it made it tougher. If Simms doesn't play here I see him fitting in and doing well on several other teams. At that time we're all going to be kicking ourselves in the head AGAIN like we did with Young. By the way, people bringing back stories of Simms in college. Give me a break, people did that for Manning also. College is college, the pros are the pros. Simms has brought us back to win many more times then he's threw the game losing interception.

You couldn't say Dilfer or Testaverde, could you?  Had to go straight to Young.

Watchman

Starter

« #21 : July 09, 2007, 05:27:30 PM »

Again, when given the tools Simms has a very high success rate.

I'm sorry, but that's just not enough.  Right now the Bucs running game is rarely effective, and even the best running teams have off games.  When the running game isn't working the QB needs to be able to create something in the passing game.  Simms hasn't been able to do that, and therefore a veteran with WC experience was signed.  Nothing like some success in the passing game to open up the running game.  Bouncing passes into the flat isn't helping anyone.

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

« #22 : July 09, 2007, 05:30:52 PM »

You couldn't say Dilfer or Testaverde, could you? Had to go straight to Young.

You liked Testeverde and Dilfer? I was supportive of Dilfer but it didn't hurt my feelings any when we got rid of him. I didn't like Testeverde and his color blindness. That's pretty much why I went straight to young. I guess I could and should have said Williams too.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
« #23 : July 09, 2007, 06:20:07 PM »

Just for the record:

BAB

1) Who are the teams that Simms could start and be a success for?

2) Who are the teams that wanted Simms before we re-signed him?

3) Where is the 5Mil you are talking about? Didn't see where any of the $ was guaranteed.

4) Who would want him now when his mechanics are shot?  Probably his confidence also.

5) If it was possible some team would want him in a trade, today, what could we get for him?

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

« #24 : July 09, 2007, 06:29:10 PM »

Again, most starting QBs don't lose their jobs because of injury. See Donovan McNabb, you know, the guy who Garcia replaced in Philly!

"What you talkin bout, Bornabuc?"........ Drew Bledsoe

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

« #25 : July 09, 2007, 06:59:34 PM »

Well sure, but Bledsoe got injured and they starting winning with their QB of the future on board. At that time at least they handled it with Class and it didn't hurt the organization. It is obvious in our case that Gruden is not thinking of the longterm success of the team but rather trying to save his own butt!

Lets see here, who would be better with Simms at QB. Here's a short list...

NY Jets
Buffalo Bills
Miami Dolphins
Cleveland Browns
Houston Texans
Kansis City Chiefs
New York Giants(The younger Manning stinks)
Washington Redskins
Chicago Bears
Minnesota Vikings
Detroit Lions

I'm sure that his injury scared off most of these teams. Each one of these would be way better off with Simms.

Watchman

Starter

« #26 : July 09, 2007, 07:12:40 PM »

You would take Chris Simms over Chad Pennington?  You're high.

« #27 : July 09, 2007, 07:43:27 PM »

Well sure, but Bledsoe got injured and they starting winning with their QB of the future on board. At that time at least they handled it with Class and it didn't hurt the organization. It is obvious in our case that Gruden is not thinking of the longterm success of the team but rather trying to save his own butt!

Lets see here, who would be better with Simms at QB. Here's a short list...

NY Jets  No way!!
Buffalo Bills No way!!
Miami Dolphins i agree, but that ain't sayin much!!
Cleveland Browns  i agree, but that ain't sayin much!!
Houston Texans  possibly!!
Kansis City Chiefs  No way!!
New York Giants(The younger Manning stinks) No way!!
Washington Redskins No way!!
Chicago Bears No way!!
Minnesota Vikings i agree, but that ain't sayin much!!
Detroit Lions No way!!

They need to either commit to the guy or trade him or release him. Keeping the guy down while he's in his prime is bullcrap.

The guy had his opportunity to leave and chose not to test free agency. How are they holding him down?

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #28 : July 09, 2007, 07:54:37 PM »

I'm really having a hard time with your perception of Simms and his play. Are you watching the same player most of us are watching? THere's nothing there to hang your hat on so your love affair really boggles the mind.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #29 : July 09, 2007, 10:05:25 PM »

Matt Schaub has far greater upside than Simms period.  And saying Simms is better than Eli is asinine.  Browns just drafted Quinn so they're out of the picture as well.
  Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Chris Simms get a fair shot to win the starting QB job? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools