Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Clayton on ESPN says the BUCS are the #1 sleeper team this year. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #15 : July 11, 2007, 03:24:45 PM »

How was 2005 smoke and mirrors? Did we get some lucky breaks? No doubt. But sometimes the other team got lucky breaks too. But that was a good team, a legit 11-5 season.
Because it wasn't a building block for later success, like the 1997 team. It was just a random thing winning games they were supposed to and getting lucky in a few others. The team wasn't a real contender as Seattle, Chicago, Carolina, or any of the AFC teams would have smoked them. Washington went 10-6 that year and sucked the next year just like us. They were a fraud too.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #16 : July 11, 2007, 04:49:14 PM »

I actually think the Bucs could be a sleeper, but if they do it, it will be like 2005 - smoke and mirrors duct taped together thanks to an easy schedule and some vets putting together one last solid performance. My problem is the team is still a long way away from becoming a real contender built on good, young players who will be around for a while.

There's several good young players hhere (potentially).  We've drafted several guys over the past three years who could be keys to success for years to come.  Still some pieces to fill in of course, but there's young building blocks in place.

JC510

Practice Squad

« #17 : July 11, 2007, 03:43:03 PM »

How was 2005 smoke and mirrors? Did we get some lucky breaks? No doubt. But sometimes the other team got lucky breaks too. But that was a good team, a legit 11-5 season.
Because it wasn't a building block for later success, like the 1997 team. It was just a random thing winning games they were supposed to and getting lucky in a few others. The team wasn't a real contender as Seattle, Chicago, Carolina, or any of the AFC teams would have smoked them. Washington went 10-6 that year and sucked the next year just like us. They were a fraud too.

The 1998 team was a big disappointment too. There isnt a big difference between 8-8 with a QB that made the pro-bowl the previous season and 4-12 with a rookie 6th rounder starting 11 games.

And in 2005 we werent a real contender like Chicago and Carolina? Week 14 we went into Carolina and wiped the floor with them and we were a a chip shot FG away from beating the Bears, because there's no way in hell their offense was gonna score.

whobdis

Pro Bowler

« #18 : July 11, 2007, 04:44:55 PM »

<My problem is the team is still a long way away from becoming a real contender built on good, young players who will be around for a while. >

I'm not sure there are many(if any) teams like that right now. I'm sure someone will throw NE or Indy out
there but they are winning due to their QB's right now. If Brady/Manning go down it won't matter much
how many good young players they have. Maybe Philly. Carolina..Pitt..but they've faltered.
Just try to get to the playoffs and let the chips fall where they may. Our Super Bowl year didn't look all
that Super until we got into the playoffs. If it's done with a few vet's on their last legs..so what. I'll
be happy nevertheless.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

« #19 : July 11, 2007, 05:09:45 PM »

I certainly hope so since I have the Bucs at 65-1 in Vegas!

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

« #20 : July 11, 2007, 05:21:17 PM »

I guess you are not the only one that liked 'em at 65-1...they are down to 50-1 now

You must be accountable for your actions!

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #21 : July 11, 2007, 05:33:39 PM »

The 1998 team was a big disappointment too. There isnt a big difference between 8-8 with a QB that made the pro-bowl the previous season and 4-12 with a rookie 6th rounder starting 11 games.

And in 2005 we werent a real contender like Chicago and Carolina? Week 14 we went into Carolina and wiped the floor with them and we were a a chip shot FG away from beating the Bears, because there's no way in hell their offense was gonna score.
My point was in 1998, it was a sign of things to come. Sapp, Brooks, Lynch, Barber, Alstott, Dunn, etc. were young stars and they would be back and keep getting better. The roster has already turned over a bunch since 2005 and will a bunch more by the time the team is a contender again.

I'm not sure there are many(if any) teams like that right now. I'm sure someone will throw NE or Indy out there but they are winning due to their QB's right now. If Brady/Manning go down it won't matter much how many good young players they have. Maybe Philly. Carolina..Pitt..but they've faltered. Just try to get to the playoffs and let the chips fall where they may. Our Super Bowl year didn't look all that Super until we got into the playoffs. If it's done with a few vet's on their last legs..so what. I'll be happy nevertheless.
NE, Indy, Philly, and Pittsburgh have been regular playoff teams for the last 5-6 years. When they started their runs, you could look at their rosters and say because they had players x, y, and z, all under the age of 25 and emerging stars, they were set for the next 6-7 years. Sure they'd supplement with a few vets, but the core of the team was young players they drafted who had already shown they were the real deal. I don't see the Bucs being in that position so I maintain my point they may sneak into a #6 seed, but it will not really be an indicator they're set up to be a consistent contender.

There's several good young players hhere (potentially).  We've drafted several guys over the past three years who could be keys to success for years to come.  Still some pieces to fill in of course, but there's young building blocks in place.
Again, we're talking about potential and wishful thinking. It may happen but I'm basing this on what's happened thus far. But combined with the ZERO impact players drafted in McKay's last years, I think there are too many Marquis Coopers and Chris Colmers on Gruden's watch to think it's going to happen now.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #22 : July 11, 2007, 05:43:16 PM »

There were a lot of Cooper's and Colmer's in 1998 too just weren't magnified by the team's success over the next few years that followed.  Guys like Joseph, Trueblood, Caddy, to name a few plus some of the defensive guys from this year could end up being the Sapps, Brooks, Lynches, etc. of 2007.  We shall see.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #23 : July 11, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »

There were a lot of Cooper's and Colmer's in 1998 too just weren't magnified by the team's success over the next few years that followed.  Guys like Joseph, Trueblood, Caddy, to name a few plus some of the defensive guys from this year could end up being the Sapps, Brooks, Lynches, etc. of 2007.  We shall see.
Unfortunately just about every other team in the league that didn't make the playoffs (other than the Browns) can say the same thing and each has more building blocks under the age of 27 who have actually proven something.

« #24 : July 11, 2007, 06:36:48 PM »

Clayton looks soft and out of shape.....soft for sure !

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

« #25 : July 11, 2007, 08:13:14 PM »

This season is dependent on the O-line and Gruden's play calling in the early part of the game and the 2nd half.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #26 : July 11, 2007, 08:14:10 PM »

Wait, so are the guys at ESPN not morons now that they are saying good things about the Bucs?

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Watchman

Starter

« #27 : July 11, 2007, 08:20:16 PM »

This season is dependent on the O-line...  

Been the story for how many years now?  Cautiously optimistic, that's my motto.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #28 : July 11, 2007, 08:35:48 PM »

Wait, so are the guys at ESPN not morons now that they are saying good things about the Bucs?

No, they're all still morons and John Clayton is creepy.

blitz

Pro Bowler
« #29 : July 11, 2007, 08:38:10 PM »

Seems the running game is "the" story for any contender.   Garcia may help balance things out so Clayton could look like a prophet if the Oline does what it's suppose to and the D is on par with 05.   Modern day free agency has changed the model on how to build championship teams.  The Bucs may have the perfect mix this year.  Buckle your seat belts.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Clayton on ESPN says the BUCS are the #1 sleeper team this year. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools