Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Bucs Work Out DB RoShawn Marshall « previous next »
Page: 1

bucs1

Practice Squad
: July 12, 2007, 01:01:28 PM

From TBO.com: http://www.tbo.com/sports/MGB3PP5O04F.html

Tarpon Springs' Marshall Seeks Shot In NFL

TARPON SPRINGS - RoShawn Marshall was on the Tarpon Springs High bathroom floor wondering how much more his body could bear.

Marshall, a former Spongers standout defensive back, had a private workout in front of Buccaneers scout Byron Kiefer and Jaguars scout Chris Driggers during an unmercifully humid Wednesday morning. Both squads were interested in possibly selecting Marshall in today's NFL supplemental draft (1 p.m.) and showed up at his alma mater to assess the former Central Missouri and Calgary Stampeders cornerback.

After a bench press, squat, 40-yard dash, shuttle run and agility drill, Marshall was overcome by heat. He excused himself and went into the nearest bathroom to address his churning stomach.

While kneeling over the toilet, Marshall contemplated whether he could continue. Then he heard the voice of his mother, Inger Wright, who died of cancer at 34 when he was a 15-year-old sophomore.

"When I was in there [bathroom], I was so tired, but I could hear her in the back of my head saying 'Get your butt out there,'" Marshall said. "She is the only thing that keeps me going."

Marshall, who has a poem to his mother tattooed on his right arm, needed that motivation to successfully finish his workout. He then spoke for several minutes with Driggers and Kiefer. After Driggers left, Kiefer and Marshall went into the school's weight room and talked for more than 20 minutes.

Neither scout would reveal Marshall's performance, but said he performed well despite being alone and on short notice. Kiefer, who is also an NFL combine official, said it was his responsibility to share Marshall's numbers with all league teams.

"He competed hard, and we'll take it back to the office, put our heads together and find out if there is any way he might be able to fit into our plans," Driggers said. "Even though he was the only guy out here, he worked hard, and that says a lot about him."

Marshall, 5-foot-9 1/4 and 193 pounds, said his fastest time in the 40 was 4.28 seconds, and his average time is 4.35, but he was disappointed after the workout.

"I think I was average to below average, because I'm not where I want to be," Marshall said. "To be honest, I was prepared to sit out a year because I didn't think I'd be eligible for the supplemental draft. I found out Sunday night all of this was going down."

Marshall, 23, also knows he may have a below average chance of being selected today.

After graduating from high school in 2002, Marshall signed with Fort Scott Community College in Kansas. Marshall said the remote location made him stir crazy, and after several months, he purchased a bus ticket and returned to Tarpon Springs.

He attended Central Missouri in 2003, but was kicked off the team eight games into the season after he was caught using marijuana. Marshall was forced to sit out the 2004 season, but the following year he had 20 tackles and one interception, returned four punts for touchdowns and averaged 21.3 yards per return.

Marshall said he played in four CFL games last year before he was injured and returned home. He had been waiting for an NFL tryout, which came Wednesday.

"The main goal for me entering the supplemental draft was a chance to become a free agent. The chances of me getting drafted are probably slim to none. I'm not getting my hopes up, but realistically, I think a couple of teams will look at me as a returner, and if I had to judge my chances of getting drafted on a scale of one to 10, I'd say it was a three or four," Marshall said. "Friday morning I will be a free agent, and that's all I'm trying to do. I just want to get into camp somewhere. I'm not worried about money or anything like that. I just want a chance.

"No matter what, I'm still going to keep playing football. I know it would hurt my mother's heart to see me quit than to just go all out and not make it. I can take it if I give it my all and not make it, but I couldn't take it if I didn't try. To stop when I could be playing would eat me up, because I know my mom would roll over in her grave if I quit."

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#1 : July 12, 2007, 01:08:36 PM

Meh.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#2 : July 12, 2007, 02:09:55 PM

It looks like the Bucs didn't take a chance on him in the Supplemental Draft.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 12, 2007, 02:12:39 PM

double meh with a side of vomit

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#4 : July 12, 2007, 06:30:16 PM

i went to TS. c/o of 1996.  Marshall was one of the better players we've had in recent years.  he was a great CB and return man in high school.  i dont think he's NFL material though. 

dmajik85

Hall of Famer
#5 : July 13, 2007, 09:08:40 PM

i went to TS. c/o of 1996. Marshall was one of the better players we've had in recent years. he was a great CB and return man in high school. i dont think he's NFL material though.

You guys had some nice talent... remember a RB graduated 98 I think? Austin? Ripped us to shreds! (Largo).

As for this kid, if he really runs a 4.3 then someone will take a chance on him in camp. More likely JAX than us cause we have some nice depth at CB IMO. Doubt he makes it but you never know.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 13, 2007, 09:37:50 PM

Yeah i remember him.  You're talking about Atif Austin. he started for a couple years as a CB for Iowa State.  He's an assistant coach now: http://www.sptimes.com/2006/08/27/Northpinellas/Post_college__Tarpon_.shtml

STRICK9

Second String

#7 : July 13, 2007, 10:18:57 PM

You know what upsets me......is the fact that our return game, both kick and punt, have been disgusting for several years, yet we only bring in Chad Owens but retain 7 QB's, 3 of which don't have a chance in haities.  I say bring in some burner receivers or db's, like this kid, and may the best man win. 

Another thing of note.  If M-80 isn't what he's cut out to be....trade him for a pick and burner like Jerome Mathis, Roydell Williams or someone from a team that is seriously lacking depth. 

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#8 : July 13, 2007, 10:20:50 PM

If M-80 isn't what he's cut out to be....trade him for a pick and burner like Jerome Mathis, Roydell Williams or someone from a team that is seriously lacking depth.
And the Bucs are not hurting for depth at wideout?

bucs1

Practice Squad
#9 : July 13, 2007, 10:56:58 PM

Another thing of note. If M-80 isn't what he's cut out to be....trade him for a pick and burner like Jerome Mathis, Roydell Williams or someone from a team that is seriously lacking depth.

The Texans, at one point, were thinking about cutting Jerome Mathis and they still may cut him.  If Mathis gets cut by the Texans, I hope that the Bucs pick him up because he was a Pro Bowl kick returner as a rookie.  I think that he would help us greatly at KR.  I wonder why he is in the dog house now.  Here is what was said about Jerome Mathis possibly being cut from KFFL.com:

Quote from: KFFL.com
Texans | Mathis could be released
Wed, 6 Jun 2007 08:39:46 -0700

Alex Jefferson, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans WR Jerome Mathis (hamstring) could be released by the team if his hamstring injury is not properly healed in time for training camp. Head coach Gary Kubiak has told Mathis his future with the team is in jeopardy. "He just said that if I want to help this team out, and if I want to have a career - not only here, but anywhere else, period - then I need to get this taken care of," Mathis said.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Bucs Work Out DB RoShawn Marshall « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools