Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Whos ready for Football Saturday? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#15 : July 17, 2007, 01:36:49 PM

Oregon,

You obviously have seen Sabby Piscitelli play. What is your opinion of him as player?

I wanted Sabby since last year. Stud. But he played in the pac-10 so he sucks... ;). Guy will be a starter for a while.

Thanks for the observation.. And No the Pac doesn't Suck..

The regional bias of fans is amazing.. talk to Big ten and they will say they are the best talk to the South and they will say they are the best.. Just a theory but I believe there are outstanding teams all over the country and with a REAL playoff that would be proven.

well when the media is east of the rockies, and when the pac-10 has Tom Hansen as commish they have problems. Im not saying the pac-10 is the greatest cause it isnt but there are solid teams and players. Im excited when Oregon gets to play Georgia, Tennessee, Purdue teams that we usually never get to play or never wanted to play home and home.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#16 : July 17, 2007, 03:16:55 PM

The Pac 10 definitely suffers because of time zone with eastern viewers.

I have stayed up many nights watching the late games.  Interesting games. Not real impressed with some of the announcers. Took in  few USC games and the announcers were pretty bad. Perhaps local homeboys?

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#17 : July 17, 2007, 03:44:36 PM

The Pac 10 definitely suffers because of time zone with eastern viewers.

I have stayed up many nights watching the late games. Interesting games. Not real impressed with some of the announcers. Took in few USC games and the announcers were pretty bad. Perhaps local homeboys?

Alot has to do with Commish Tom Hansen... bad tv deals. Pac-10 main national tv deal is fox flippin sports (do they even have HD?) and TBS! This year we get a few ESPN games and ABC. I know Oregon plays I assume nationally on ABC week 2 @ Michigan. And they play I believe thanksgiving @ Arizona on ABC. But a game like USC @ Oregon should be ESPN not FSN...

Runole

Hall of Famer
#18 : July 17, 2007, 10:46:47 PM

It does appear the the TV that is seen in the East leaves much to be desired on those late night broadcasts.   I do believe you are right with those FSN broadcasts. Hey it is better than nothing!!

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#19 : July 18, 2007, 02:35:28 AM

I would rank the Pac above the Big 10.
In the Big 10(11) there is 2 elite programs then a drop off to Wis and PSU then a huge drop to the rest.
The Pac has USC then a drop to Cal, Az, ASU, UCLA, Ore then a drop to Wash(tier 1 talent tier 3 coaching)Stanford, then the rest.
I would rather play Baylor/MSU/Ill/NWU/Perdue than WSU/Ore St/stan/Cal/UCLA

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#20 : July 18, 2007, 03:24:50 AM

I would rank the Pac above the Big 10.
In the Big 10(11) there is 2 elite programs then a drop off to Wis and PSU then a huge drop to the rest.
The Pac has USC then a drop to Cal, Az, ASU, UCLA, Ore then a drop to Wash(tier 1 talent tier 3 coaching)Stanford, then the rest.
I would rather play Baylor/MSU/Ill/NWU/Perdue than WSU/Ore St/stan/Cal/UCLA

I agree. Pac-10 this year so be interesting. I cant read OSU or oregon. UCLA they say is suppose to be good. Im curious about Cal. Only team I know who will be tough is U$C... rest are question marks

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#21 : July 18, 2007, 10:12:51 AM

doesnt sound like the greatest offseason!

we did have the 9th best recruiting class in the country. Defense from the sounds of it has been playing well. Our secondary should be one of the best in the country, but it makes no difference if the front 4 doesnt get a pass rush... which with some of the guys returning it should.

This season comes down to Dennis Dixon. Guy plays like he did at the beginning of the year were gonna be dangerous. Guy plays like he did at the end we will end up in Vegas again getting killed by a Mountain West team. Week 2 is where it comes down to. If we come out of Michigan in some way with a win (ill say its a 10% chance) we will be dangerous because the likes of U$C come to Autzen and are hardest road game would be fUCLA. I just want a competive year and Ill be happy 3rd in the pac-10.
Oregon doesn't play defense.
[/quote

t

we did have the 9th best recruiting class in the country. Defense from the sounds of it has been playing well. Our secondary should be one of the best in the country, but it makes no difference if the front 4 doesnt get a pass rush... which with some of the guys returning it should.

This season comes down to Dennis Dixon. Guy plays like he did at the beginning of the year were gonna be dangerous. Guy plays like he did at the end we will end up in Vegas again getting killed by a Mountain West team. Week 2 is where it comes down to. If we come out of Michigan in some way with a win (ill say its a 10% chance) we will be dangerous because the likes of U$C come to Autzen and are hardest road game would be fUCLA. I just want a competive year and Ill be happy 3rd in the pac-10.

Agree to a point, but your in the conference with the best offenses. Its like saying the SEC doesnt play offense
Nobody in the Pac-1 plays defense.

There are plenty of strong offenses in the SEC.

Your comparison sucks.

My comparison sucks? You ask anyone who has the worst offenses out of the main conferences people would say the sec. You ask that about defense people say the pac-10. Theres exceptions of course to each. For instance Oregon had one of the top secondaries last year.
No, people recognize that the SEC does have godd offensive teams.

Nobody ever recognizes the PAC 1 for having any good defensive teams, sans USC every once in a while, but that is because there is a love affair between the media and the Trojans.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#22 : July 18, 2007, 11:26:09 AM

[/quote

t

Agree to a point, but your in the conference with the best offenses. Its like saying the SEC doesnt play offense
Nobody in the Pac-1 plays defense.

There are plenty of strong offenses in the SEC.

Your comparison sucks.

My comparison sucks? You ask anyone who has the worst offenses out of the main conferences people would say the sec. You ask that about defense people say the pac-10. Theres exceptions of course to each. For instance Oregon had one of the top secondaries last year.
No, people recognize that the SEC does have godd offensive teams.

Nobody ever recognizes the PAC 1 for having any good defensive teams, sans USC every once in a while, but that is because there is a love affair between the media and the Trojans.

Id like to know what team in the SEC people say "man that team has one hell of an offense"? Is it the high powered offense of Georgia or Ole Miss? Whos this team in the SEC that there offense overshadows there defense?

Runole

Hall of Famer
#23 : July 18, 2007, 12:10:20 PM

Perhaps a quick look at NCAA stats for Offense would be in order for 2007 rather than just "biased" opinions.

There is so little BCS Conference versus Conference play can really any useful conclusions be made??

Even with NCAA statistics are they really accurate measures? since for the most part they are just made against just another different 12 teams than some other teams 12 opponents.

To me it is just opinion in all these discussions.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#24 : July 18, 2007, 12:24:22 PM

LSU had a kickass offense last year.

UF and UK both had strong offenses.

Arkansas could run the ball well against any opposing defense.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#25 : July 18, 2007, 12:39:32 PM

Perhaps a quick look at NCAA stats for Offense would be in order for 2007 rather than just "biased" opinions.

There is so little BCS Conference versus Conference play can really any useful conclusions be made??

Even with NCAA statistics are they really accurate measures? since for the most part they are just made against just another different 12 teams than some other teams 12 opponents.

To me it is just opinion in all these discussions.
I see your point, Runole, but it is still something that can be discussed. These types of discussions go on all the time between college football fans.

The difference is an SEC team actually had to face decent to strong defenses on a consistent basis, while Pac 1 teams rarely faced any defense worth a damn.

Really SEC offensive stats are skewed in a negative way, while Pac 1 offensive stats go the other direction, because Pac 1 offenses have little to no resistance.

I'd still be willing to bet that there are some SEC teams lingering around the top of the NCAA in some offensive catagories.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#26 : July 18, 2007, 01:09:45 PM

Well, since you brought it up........

Total defense:
http://statistics.ncaafootball.com/default.asp?c=ncaa-football&page=cfoot/stat/ncaa-team-totaldef.htm
Pac 1:
20- USC
35-UCLA
42- Oregon
49- Arizona
51- ASU
59- Oregon State
81- Wash Stata
91- Cal
95- Wash
97- Stanford

SEC:
3- LSU
6- UF
8- UGA
19- The Barn
23- Bama
26- Arkansas
41- Miss State
50- Volunqueers
63- South Carolina
74- Vandy
76- Miss
118- UK

Total Offense
http://statistics.ncaafootball.com/default.asp?c=ncaa-football&page=cfoot/stat/ncaa-team-totaloff.htm
Pac 1:
9- Oregon
12- Cal
21- USC
25- Wash State
42- ASU
45- Oregon State
71- UCLA
74- W
115- Arizona
118- Stanford

SEC:
11- LSWho
19- UF
20- South Carolina
29- Arkansas
31- UK
36- U cheaT
52- Vandy
65- Bama
76- The Barn
90- UGA
103- Miss State
111- Mississippi

PWN3D!!!!!!!!!

Runole

Hall of Famer
#27 : July 18, 2007, 03:12:05 PM

Good start!  Always appreciate one that takes the time to go through a bit of research.
I would also like to see scoring offense, scoring defense, rushing offense and defense along with passing offense and defense.

Of course if you really want to get serious a composite Scoring offense/ defense for opponents played!! ;D

Heck before long you might even have an SOS superior to Sagarin!! 

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#28 : July 18, 2007, 04:59:03 PM

Good start! Always appreciate one that takes the time to go through a bit of research.
I would also like to see scoring offense, scoring defense, rushing offense and defense along with passing offense and defense.

Of course if you really want to get serious a composite Scoring offense/ defense for opponents played!! ;D

Heck before long you might even have an SOS superior to Sagarin!!
I posted the links.

You can take it from there. ;)

Runole

Hall of Famer
#29 : July 18, 2007, 05:02:27 PM

If you want a passing grade on that research you need to go the extra mile. I feel your private school might have failed you on what is good comprehensive research.  You would get no better than a c- if I was grading. Of course I demanded a bit more from my students. ;D
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Whos ready for Football Saturday? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools