Boards > College Football Board

Is this the year USF legitimizes its top 4 status??

(1/5) > >>

Runole:
Certainly last year USF could make a credible argument that it was the 2nd best school in the state of Florida based on performance and key wins against some highly rated teams and of course the surprising  drop off by both UM and FSU.

With  Big east darlings West Virginia and  Louisville along with North Carolina and Cincinnati at home, how many need to be wins for USF to gain legitimate status as a true member joining FSU UF and UM in elite status?

How many of the following road games must be won?  They have big games road games at  Auburn, Rutgers, Pitt and Syracuse .

JMO but I think they need to win at least 3 of between Cinn, UNC WV and Louisville and at least 3 between Auburn, Rutgers , Pitt, U Conn,and Syracuse.

If only 3  of those away games are won, they must sweep UCF, ELON, and the away game at Florida Atlantic.

That would leave them with an 9-3  record and IMO would give them IMO the recognition legitimizing the program both nationally and in the state of Florida.   Most certainly if the other Big 3 have similar records that would do it IMO.

Would that be enough?

BucsBullsBolts:
You've kind of got two different scenarios going. In response to your thread title, USF has already legitimized itself as the 4th best program in the state, IMO ..... but there is still a huge gap between them and the Big 3. That gap wonlt be closed for years unless USF goes on some miraculous undefeated run over the next couple of seasons. To join the other 3 you've got to play them and beat them, or, since a couple of the Big 3 aren't being real accomodating in that regard, you've got to play and beat similar big time type football programs more than a few times. USF has a nice start but is still a long ways off before legitimately being considered in the same light as UF, UM and FSU

Runole:

--- Quote from: BucsBullsBolts on July 15, 2007, 04:05:23 PM ---You've kind of got two different scenarios going. In response to your thread title, USF has already legitimized itself as the 4th best program in the state, IMO ..... but there is still a huge gap between them and the Big 3. That gap wonlt be closed for years unless USF goes on some miraculous undefeated run over the next couple of seasons. To join the other 3 you've got to play them and beat them, or, since a couple of the Big 3 aren't being real accomodating in that regard, you've got to play and beat similar big time type football programs more than a few times. USF has a nice start but is still a long ways off before legitimately being considered in the same light as UF, UM and FSU

--- End quote ---

Certainly tend to agree with your points.  As to the Big 3 accommodating one look at USF's stance on UCF series makes such comments ring a bit hollow. IMO

I would think winning the Big East would be the next big step followed by a BCS bowl victory.

I certainly believe that USF must continue to pay its dues against the Auburns and Oklahoma's on the road and must beat them in their own house to get that status they are after.  A win against Miami at Miami and a win against UF would certainly do the trick.  It was a real coup when USF inked the home and home series with UM.
I would imagine in the not too distant future they will get a game against FSU as well.

olafberserker:
They're clearly at number 4 already.  A ways to go to catch the big 3, but already passed UCF.

BucsBullsBolts:

--- Quote from: Runole on July 15, 2007, 07:26:07 PM ---Certainly tend to agree with your points.  As to the Big 3 accommodating one look at USF's stance on UCF series makes such comments ring a bit hollow. IMO
--- End quote ---

I guess it does depend on your perspective and what one considers best for their own program.

--- Quote ---I would think winning the Big East would be the next big step followed by a BCS bowl victory.
--- End quote ---

A quality OOC regular season win falls in there, too...

--- Quote ---I would imagine in the not too distant future they will get a game against FSU as well.
--- End quote ---

Rumor has it that Hart was a big stumbling block in that. Maybe the door will be opened soon. It will be interesting to see what kind of set up is offered when/if the time comes

Runole:

--- Quote from: BucsBullsBolts on July 16, 2007, 10:40:54 AM ---
--- Quote from: Runole on July 15, 2007, 07:26:07 PM ---Certainly tend to agree with your points.  As to the Big 3 accommodating one look at USF's stance on UCF series makes such comments ring a bit hollow. IMO
--- End quote ---

I guess it does depend on your perspective and what one considers best for their own program.

Should UF , UM, and FSU consider playing USF best for their programs using your  perspective?
--- End quote ---

BucsBullsBolts:

--- Quote from: Runole on July 16, 2007, 01:08:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: BucsBullsBolts on July 16, 2007, 10:40:54 AM ---
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Should UF , UM, and FSU consider playing USF best for their programs using your  perspective?
--- End quote ---

No way ...... i just said they hadn't been accomodating, not that they SHOULD play us.   ;)

olafberserker:
I don't think they have to play the Big 3 to be legitimate.  Winning the Big East.  Being in the National Spotlight for a few years, etc.  will help make them legitimate.  They have a nice series with Miami coming up and that will help as well.

T:
USF may end up with a better record than FSU and Miami again this year.I doubt Miami or FSU are going to be able to put together a offense this year that will enable them to win the ACC or get to a Bowl game. I see both teams as 4 or 5 loss teams again.

cheveliar:
It's just hot to mention them when you talk about football.  I've been threatening for years to go to a game...I'm doing it for sure this year...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version