Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is this the year USF legitimizes its top 4 status?? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#15 : July 19, 2007, 03:06:43 PM

If USF can beat Auburn in week 2 I think that will set the tone for the rest of the season. It really depends on the play of Matt Grothe too.

A win AT Auburn is almost too much to ask for. I think just going in there and playing well  will set the tone .... and the running game, that doesn't involve MG, is the key to this season.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#16 : July 19, 2007, 03:10:18 PM

Definitely not the big time college atmosphere yet, but the team is close to being a "legitimate" 4th.  I'm not sure the atmosphere will get there completely as long as they play at RayJay.  It's goign to be real tough to win at Auburn, but a good showing will still put them on the right path.  More important to win the conference which apparently the national rags don't think they will do (heard they are predicted to finish 4th by a couple).

There will never the the total traditional college atmosphere at RayJay but as long as the tailgating is great and the green and gold team is on the field, that's all the atmosphere needed...

HeHateMe

Rookie

#17 : July 19, 2007, 03:23:05 PM

A win AT Auburn is almost too much to ask for. I think just going in there and playing well  will set the tone .... and the running game, that doesn't involve MG, is the key to this season.

You never know, everyone said the same thing about West Virginia last season, and we came home with a win, shutting down Steve Slaton in the process. Its possible, I know they can at least put up a fight.

You can make the case that the rushing game is the key, but Grothe pretty much was the running the rock last season.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#18 : July 19, 2007, 05:34:36 PM

Personally, I believe from what I saw last season Matt Grothe is the best QB in the state.  It would be great to see USF knock of Auburn.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#19 : July 19, 2007, 10:11:42 PM

You can make the case that the rushing game is the key, but Grothe pretty much was the running the rock last season.

That's my point. I don't think they can pull off the same type success they had last year having Grothe being their leading rusher again..... and unless things go horribly wrong, there is no way he will be. If everyone stays healthy and gets eligible, the rb situation will be so far ahead of last year it's a joke...

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#20 : July 21, 2007, 09:10:45 PM

if USF is gonna ever be a powerhouse they need their own stadium.

HeHateMe

Rookie

#21 : July 21, 2007, 09:23:24 PM

I disagree. Wouldn't you rather play in an NFL stadium?

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#22 : July 21, 2007, 09:51:49 PM

The team in Florida with more NC's than the other teams in Florida combined doesn't have their own  stadium .... 99%, if not more, of the colleges with their own stadium have one out of necessity. USF will probably get one on the not too distant future but they definitely don't need one to become a powerhouse.

T

Hall of Famer

#23 : July 22, 2007, 04:45:58 AM

In 2006 USF would have beaten FSU or Miami.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#24 : July 22, 2007, 10:29:07 AM

In 2006 USF would have beaten FSU or Miami.

You may be reaching a little with this, but hey it's nice to even have someone think that it could have happened.

#25 : July 22, 2007, 03:56:40 PM

Within 5 years USF will be nationally regarded as a powerhouse Florida school. In reality it may be in the next 1-2 years.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#26 : July 22, 2007, 08:01:49 PM

The team in Florida with more NC's than the other teams in Florida combined doesn't have their own stadium .... 99%, if not more, of the colleges with their own stadium have one out of necessity. USF will probably get one on the not too distant future but they definitely don't need one to become a powerhouse.
The University of Miami plays its home games in its own stadium. The January Orange Bowl game is played where the Dolphins play. But success aside, the atmosphere sucks when you can't have 10,000-15,000 students stumble to an on-campus stadium like in Gainesville or Tallahassee and then stumble out after the game and hit the bars and party. There's way too much traffic and busy roads around Ray Jay to have a comfortable party atmosphere like in smaller college towns. UCF is going to have an on-campus stadium in another year or two.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#27 : July 22, 2007, 09:03:16 PM

Atmosphere may improve with an on campus stadium, but I do  not think it is necessary to them becoming a "powerhouse".

HeHateMe

Rookie

#28 : July 22, 2007, 09:56:37 PM

They have a long way to go before their considered a powerhouse. The stadium should be the least of their worries.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#29 : July 22, 2007, 10:52:53 PM

They have a long way to go before their considered a powerhouse. The stadium should be the least of their worries.

Yes, I think they should focus on winning the conference before we start talking powerhouse.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is this the year USF legitimizes its top 4 status?? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools