Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs bring in Culpepper... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 11

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« : July 20, 2007, 02:59:32 PM »

But the Jags like their situation with Gerrard and Leftwich (I would argue) so I do not see the interest of Culpepper from Jacksonville's point of view.

I disagree...  After the QB controversy last year and with Leftwich's contract expiring next year, I think they'd like an excuse to move one of them.  And from what I've read they think Quinn Gray has more long-term upside than either Leftwich or Garrard.

Aratar

Rookie

« #1 : July 19, 2007, 03:41:28 PM »

From PFT:

POSTED 3:34 p.m. EDT, July 19, 2007

CULPEPPER VISITS BUCS

Our pal Steve Duemig of 620 WDAE in Tampa reports that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have snuck quarterback Daunte Culpepper in for a visit.

On the surface, the move makes no sense, given that the Bucs currently have 17.4 quarterbacks on the roster.  But, in light of the reality that coach Jon Gruden is on the hot seat and must win in 2007, any potential upgrade is welcome.

And, at his best, Culpepper is better than anything the Bucs currently have.

The question, however, is whether Culpepper can bring it like he did in Minnesota, at least in his good years in Minnesota.  He wasn't healthy last year, and if his shredded knee is now fully unshredded, maybe there is reason for optimism.

In Oakland, Gruden turned a former Vikings quarterback into an MVP (Rich Gannon).  Though most had assumed that Gruden's reclamation project in 2007 would be Jeff Garcia (whose fading career recovered nicely in 2006), it could be Culpepper who becomes the focal point of Gruden's quarterback tutelage.

Then again, maybe the Bucs are trying to make the Falcons nervous enough to pursue Culpepper, and thus to create even more of a distraction.

We're also hearing rumblings that the Lions might be interested in Culpepper.  But given that Jon Kitna has vowed more than 10 wins and is hinting that he thinks he can throw 50 touchdown passes, why would Matt Millen want to interrupt a perfectly good case of delusion?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But it is Duemig reporting this...

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #2 : July 19, 2007, 03:50:37 PM »

Hmmm...  Gruden takes a look at an available QB.  There's a shocker

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #3 : July 19, 2007, 03:45:57 PM »

wow, interesting.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #4 : July 19, 2007, 03:53:56 PM »

Hmmm... Gruden takes a look at an available QB. There's a shocker

honestly after the past 4 years I don't care if they do end up with having 17.4 QB's on the roster, that position needs massive improvments if the Bucs plan on coming back to form.

gone

Hall of Famer
« #5 : July 19, 2007, 03:56:48 PM »

There's no reason not to bring him in.  Seriously, why not take a look?  And I say that as someone who thinks he's junk....

Aratar

Rookie

« #6 : July 19, 2007, 03:57:15 PM »

It just seems like a waste of money...

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

« #7 : July 19, 2007, 03:58:30 PM »

If his knee is right, he'd probably be the best we have at the position right now.  Not sure if that's an indictment of Culpepper's talent or lack there of in our QB stable.  I mean some will say why another QB when we have so many already.  It's not like we have Brady or Manning back there.  Ours is more quantity instead of quality.

It's probably just like normal when they want to take a look at a recently released vet.  That being said, it would surprise me one bit.  If he was brought in, one of the QB's, most likely Simms, would have be moved.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
« #8 : July 19, 2007, 04:01:04 PM »

Would we trade Simms to Atlanta?

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

« #9 : July 19, 2007, 04:02:37 PM »

Would we trade Simms to Atlanta?

For a 1st rounder in 2008. 

Otherwise inside divisional trades, particularly with McKay and the Falcons is probably a long shot.

orlandobuc

Starter

« #10 : July 19, 2007, 04:03:44 PM »

i really dont think they are interested in culpepper. would gruden be the type to bring him in just to drive up his price on atlanta? yank more out of their cap room?

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

« #11 : July 19, 2007, 04:11:12 PM »

I honestly think Gruden and Allen have more to worry about than playing poker with a divisional rival to make them think we want this QB in order to drive up the price and further hurt the Falcons' cap.  There's too much riding on this season for both of them and no certainty following 2007.  If they brought in Culpepper, I'd venture to guess they do have some interest.

I'm sure Jim and/or Scott will have a definitive report at some point the validity and possible meaning of the report. 

gone

Hall of Famer
« #12 : July 19, 2007, 04:11:44 PM »

i really dont think they are interested in culpepper. would gruden be the type to bring him in just to drive up his price on atlanta? yank more out of their cap room?

It's not just price, it's a lot more pressure on McKay and Blank.  Now they have to think fast about what they're gonna do, and they're already under a ton of pressure.  That's when bad decisions are made.  

And I love the image of McKay when he hears this... "Great, now what the hell do I do?!?"

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

« #13 : July 19, 2007, 04:14:11 PM »

He is most definitely worth a look if he is healthy...

You must be accountable for your actions!

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

« #14 : July 19, 2007, 04:17:06 PM »

Here's a little more from the 620 website.  Nothing definitive so I'll wait for PR's word.

Daunte Culpepper reportedly in town

QB released by Dolphins, seen by WDAE source Tampa with Gruden Thursday

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Jeff Garcia, as Jon Gruden has made clear, is a favorite of the Buccaneer coach and the clear leader for the team's starting quarterback job.

But that doesn't mean Garcia has the exclusive hold on Gruden's affections. WDAE is reporting that on Thursday afternoon Daunte Culpepper, just released by the Dolphins, was in Tampa to visit with Gruden.

In fact Culpepper landed on a private jet and, according to WDAE's sources, was met by Gruden and player personnel man Doug Williams.

Also the Atlanta Falcons, who may find themselves in need of some help calling the signals, are interested in Culpepper's services.

Stay tuned to the Steve Duemig show this afternoon for any developments.

http://www.620wdae.com/cc-common/mainheadlines2.html?feed=122843&article=2050616

Definitely something to watch until he finds a new home.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs bring in Culpepper... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools