Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs bring in Culpepper... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #30 : July 19, 2007, 05:26:34 PM »

If nothing else this lets the team look at his knee up close and personal and see if he is right to know what state he's really in if anyone we might play signs him.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #31 : July 19, 2007, 05:30:30 PM »

If the Bucs signed 'Pep, I would not mind one bit.

But at that point, I definitely think it would be time to move Chris Simms to another job.  Unfortunately, you'd get a bag of rocks and some belly-button lint.  He is coming of a major surgery, is publicly sliding down the depth chart, and had a god awful (though not entirely by his own failings, I still blame the total lack of run support and O-line protection, but all in all, everyone is at fault) start last year.  And Culpepper visiting the Bucs at this point means nothing to me.

The Bucs have brought in Antonio Bryant, Mike Doss, etc... for visits.  I think Pepper wants to go to a team where he will start.  Only team I can think of right now would be...uhh...hmmm...Browns maybe?

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
« #32 : July 19, 2007, 06:02:03 PM »

What's wrong with us working him out? He at one time was a pretty darn good QB. Sure his knee injury and style of play (not a typical West Coast QB) are concerns, but if Simms struggles in camp and Bruce beats him out as the #2, we are one injury away from have Grads as our starting QB. Plummer won't be here period. So, unless Simms really turns it around and can solidify the backup spot, bringing in Culpepper for a workout makes sense.

If the Bucs sign him, we could carry 4 QB's for a couple of weeks until the Vick situation works itself out and then trade Simms to Atlanta if Vick goes to jail or gets suspended. Having too many QB's is never a problem. Now, I wouldn't give Culpepper a ton of money or anything like that at all, but I don't mind them taking a look to see if he can fit our system and to see how the knee is. Worst case, he's going to cost too much or he doesn't fit and we wasted a little time. Anything other than that results in us bolstering our QB position.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

« #33 : July 19, 2007, 06:02:55 PM »

Looks like the Bucs have confirmed his workout today.  Seems as though it was more than just as visit as they put him through drills to gauge his healthy status.

Bucs Work Out Culpepper
Posted By Roy Cummings at Jul 19, 2007 at 05:34 PM
Updated Jul 19, 2007 at 05:36 PM

TAMPA – Never one to pass on the opportunity to look at a free agent, especially a free-agent quarterback, the Bucs worked out Daunte Culpepper on Thursday, Bucs officials confirmed.

The Bucs ran Culpepper, 30, through drills at One Buc Place just two days after the Dolphins finally gave him the release he had been seeking since they acquired Trent Green six weeks ago.

The Bucs wouldn’t appear on the surface to have a pressing need for Culpepper, because they currently have five quarterbacks - including Jeff Garcia, Chris Simms and Bruce Gradkowski - on their roster.

However, Simms has struggled with his throwing mechanics since returning to the field following spleen surgery and Gradkowski seems to need more seasoning after struggling through most of his rookie season last year.

It is also growing increasingly obvious that Jake Plummer will not be in camp when the Bucs begin training for the 2007 season next week at Walt Disney World’s Wide World of Sports complex.

An associate of Plummer’s agent, David Dunn, did not want to comment on the matter Thursday but indicated that little has changed with Plummer, who has vowed to retire.

Culpepper, a former University of Central Florida standout who had his best years with the Minnesota Vikings and who serves as his own agent, could not be reach for comment.

Culpepper, who joined the Dolphins as a free agent last summer, fell out of favor in Miami almost immediately upon his arrival when it became apparent that the knee injury he suffered the year before had robbed him of his mobility.

He was sacked 21 times in his first four games as the Dolphins starter and didn’t see the field again as the Dolphins turned first to Joey Harrington and then Cleo Lemon as replacements.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/bucs-work-out-culpepper/

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #34 : July 19, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »

He is his own agent?  And he is dealing with Bruce Allen?

I would hate to be him.

Either of them really.

(at least when it comes to on mans inflated ego, most likely, and anothers penchant for being thrifty with the piggy bank.)

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

« #35 : July 19, 2007, 06:06:45 PM »

According to the SPT's Buc Blog, the meeting took place in an airplane hanger over at TIA...

Culpepper visits with Bucs

July 19, 2007

Jon Gruden apparently could use another quarterback.

Would eight be enough?

The Bucs coach met Thursday with former Vikings and Dolphins free agent Daunte Culpepper, the team confirmed.

Although the Bucs had no comment on the meeting, it is believed to have taken place at the corporate airplane hangar at Tampa International Airport. Also greeting Culpepper was Bucs general manager Bruce Allen and Doug Williams, the team's senior pro personnel assistant.

Culpepper, who missed most of last season recovering from knee surgery, had his contract terminated Tuesday by the Dolphins.

The Bucs already have seven quarterbacks on the roster, a list that includes Jeff Garcia, Bruce Gradkowski, Chris Simms, Luke McCown and Jake Plummer.

Garcia already has been declared the starter for the 2007 season while Simms has struggled to regain his form since undergoing surgery to remove his spleen last Sept.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2007/07/report-culpeppe.html

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

« #36 : July 19, 2007, 06:11:15 PM »

In regards to the Falcons and Culpepper...

Falcons | Team not interested in Culpepper
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:54:24 -0700

D. Orlando Ledbetter and Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, report the Atlanta Falcons have not talked about the possibility of signing unrestricted free-agent QB Daunte Culpepper (Dolphins), according to a team official.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #37 : July 19, 2007, 06:15:49 PM »

So was it at the airport or at OBP?  Looks like conflicing reports...  Where's the PR boys with the scoop?

« #38 : July 19, 2007, 06:16:34 PM »

Garcia, Culpepper & Grads > Garcia, Grads & Simms. End of story.

Well, OK, maybe not end of story. I can't discount driving up his price for Atlanta or even Jax who may have to release Garrard or Leftwich if they sign Culpepper.

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

« #39 : July 19, 2007, 06:19:36 PM »

So was it at the airport or at OBP?  Looks like conflicing reports...  Where's the PR boys with the scoop?

That's who I'm waiting on 'tonian.  Remember those reports I posted were from the Trib and SPT respectively.  Pretty sad when two area newspapers covering the same story for the same team can't get an obvious detail such as locale in sync.

Thank goodness for PR if your a Buc fan.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #40 : July 19, 2007, 06:43:46 PM »

Well, OK, maybe not end of story. I can't discount driving up his price for Atlanta or even Jax who may have to release Garrard or Leftwich if they sign Culpepper.

Agreed 100% ... esp. your point on Garrard, but my guess is that Letwich would be the first to go - it would be a good attempt at Garrard and hey, who knows.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

« #41 : July 19, 2007, 06:49:12 PM »

Garcia, Culpepper & Grads = Garcia, Culpepper &

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

« #42 : July 19, 2007, 07:01:42 PM »

Jim's story regarding Culpepper's visit is up on the front page...http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/3125

Apparently the meeting was at OBP, not an airplane hanger at TIA.  And also, contrary to the other reports, the team did not put Culpepper through a work out.

« #43 : July 19, 2007, 07:03:27 PM »

Thanx Marley

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

« #44 : July 19, 2007, 07:03:56 PM »

Garcia, Culpepper & Grads = Garcia, Culpepper &

LOL...beautiful.

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs bring in Culpepper... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools