Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yet another reason why the NBA stinks « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#15 : July 25, 2007, 11:07:28 AM

Bill Russell wasn't a big scorer but deserves to be top 10.  Wilkens never won anything but the slam dunk contest.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#16 : July 25, 2007, 11:20:21 AM

Pippen was by far a better all around player than Wilkins. Scottie could actually play defense and was a good passer and ballhandler. Even the Pippen led Bull teams were still pretty good.

The star power of the NBA from the 80s and 90s, while good for ratings, was the reason the league was corrupted with their officiating and rules. The system was set up for the stars to put up big numbers. Not pure basketball IMHO. The biggest problem with the NBA today is the guarenteed contracts of $50-100 million. At least NFL players have to earn their rooster spot/salary every year for the most part.
Pippen was a better defender, but anyone who would've preferred to have Pippen on their team over Nique should have their head examined.

He shouldn't have ever sniffed the top 50 all time.

The best team he played for, without Jordan, was when he was with Portland, where he was a role player AGAIN. He was never THE MAN on a highly successful team, cuz he couldn't be THE MAN.
He got a lousy Jordanless Bulls into the playoffs...and to 50 wins. Not too shabby, IMO.
Didn't they get bounced in the first round? I'm also pretty sure that Armstrong and Grant were both on that team, and had VERY solid years. Was Kukoc there yet? His rookie year, he was damn good down the stretch. They were a pretty well rounded team.

Jordan joined the follwing year, and had he not, they would've struggled to make the playoffs. The biggest hit coming with the loss of Horace Grant to Orlando.

Nique lead his team to how many 50 win seasons? How many playoff appearances? How many conference semis? (I don't recall them getting any further)

I'm a little baffeld by you bringing up Spud Webb. Was he ever a starter?

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#17 : July 25, 2007, 11:22:03 AM

Bill Russell wasn't a big scorer but deserves to be top 10. Wilkens never won anything but the slam dunk contest.
Wilkens won as many championships as a "Jordanless" Pippen, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, and Reggie Miller combined.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#18 : July 25, 2007, 12:45:00 PM

Pippen was by far a better all around player than Wilkins. Scottie could actually play defense and was a good passer and ballhandler. Even the Pippen led Bull teams were still pretty good.

The star power of the NBA from the 80s and 90s, while good for ratings, was the reason the league was corrupted with their officiating and rules. The system was set up for the stars to put up big numbers. Not pure basketball IMHO. The biggest problem with the NBA today is the guarenteed contracts of $50-100 million. At least NFL players have to earn their rooster spot/salary every year for the most part.
Pippen was a better defender, but anyone who would've preferred to have Pippen on their team over Nique should have their head examined.

The best team he played for, without Jordan, was when he was with Portland, where he was a role player AGAIN. He was never THE MAN on a highly successful team, cuz he couldn't be THE MAN.
He got a lousy Jordanless Bulls into the playoffs...and to 50 wins. Not too shabby, IMO.
Didn't they get bounced in the first round? I'm also pretty sure that Armstrong and Grant were both on that team, and had VERY solid years. Was Kukoc there yet? His rookie year, he was damn good down the stretch. They were a pretty well rounded team.

Jordan joined the follwing year, and had he not, they would've struggled to make the playoffs. The biggest hit coming with the loss of Horace Grant to Orlando.

Nique lead his team to how many 50 win seasons? How many playoff appearances? How many conference semis? (I don't recall them getting any further)

I do believe Grant was gone by then, and Armstrong had one good year WITH Jordan.

As for Spud Webb, it was just my memory of some of the guys from that team.

And Wilkens was truly just a scorer, and nothing else.  To be blatantly honest, I think the Bulls with Pippen are much more formidable than the Bulls with Nique.  First, there weren't enough basketballs for the two of them, and Wilkens would not have adhered to a Jordan is the Man locker room.  Plus, most of us here could score on Nique at least a few times.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#19 : July 25, 2007, 01:32:47 PM

I do believe Grant was gone by then, and Armstrong had one good year WITH Jordan.

And Wilkens was truly just a scorer, and nothing else. To be blatantly honest, I think the Bulls with Pippen are much more formidable than the Bulls with Nique. First, there weren't enough basketballs for the two of them, and Wilkens would not have adhered to a Jordan is the Man locker room. Plus, most of us here could score on Nique at least a few times.
After a bit of research....... Wilkins actually averaged more rebounds than Pippen.
Steals- Pippen>Nique
Assists- Pippen>>>Nique
Scoring- Nique>>>Pippen

Grant and Armstrong were both named all stars the year that Jordan took off.
Grant left for the Magic the following year.

I like your point about Bulls/Pippen>Bulls/Nique, but I'd be willing to bet that the Bulls could've rattled off a few championships if you had swapped Jordan for Nique.

If we could dive into this some a little deeper.

The Hawks were a much better team with Nique than they would have been with Pippen instead of Nique, IMO.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#20 : July 25, 2007, 01:39:17 PM

And Wilkens was truly just a scorer, and nothing else. To be blatantly honest, I think the Bulls with Pippen are much more formidable than the Bulls with Nique. First, there weren't enough basketballs for the two of them, and Wilkens would not have adhered to a Jordan is the Man locker room. Plus, most of us here could score on Nique at least a few times.

The Hawks were a much better team with Nique than they would have been with Pippen instead of Nique, IMO.

With that, I cannot argue.

#21 : July 25, 2007, 11:36:48 PM

Officiating in the NBA has always seemed to me to be tainted.

Leaping. Need I say more?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#22 : July 26, 2007, 01:26:38 AM

Officiating in the NBA has always seemed to me to be tainted.

Leaping. Need I say more?

I have never ever ever heard oif that penalty before, and I am sure someones wallet got fat after that call.

That was sop blatantly called by a either homerish ref, or a ref involved in betting....

That was a sad, sad day for me.  And I was absolutely furious at the ref.  I literally wanted to punch his nose.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yet another reason why the NBA stinks « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools