Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Raiders Might Have To Release Warren Sapp « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

bucs1

Practice Squad
: July 26, 2007, 12:52:12 AM

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the Raiders might have to cut Warren Sapp to have enough salary cap room to sign Jamarcus Russell and the rest of their remaining un-signed rookies.  If Sapp does infact get released, should the Bucs go after him?  That way Sapp can retire as a Buc and we can add some depth to our defensive line.  Sapp has lost 50 pounds this offseason and is probally in the best shape of his career.  He still showed some dominance last year recording 10 sacks and he also should have gone to the Pro Bowl with the impressive numbers that he put up.  I think that Sapp is the same age as Kevin Carter so if we could sign Carter than I'm sure we could go after Sapp.  I'm sure that Sapp would want to come back to Tampa if he was forced to play with a different team.  I think that Sapp would come in and be an immediate starter on our defensive line pairing up with Chris Hovan and our d-line would be dominant again.  Sapp would also bring his veteran leadership and intensity to our defense and he could be the vocal leader that our defense is missing.  If Sapp is released, I say sign him!  What do you think?

From RotoWorld.com: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

Here is what was said about Warren Sapp in the San Francisco Chronicle:

From SFGate.com: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/25/SPGOUR6B961.DTL

Why did the Raiders release long snapper and center Adam Treu? Word has it that Treu -- an acknowledged team leader and very personable player -- did not get off on the "right foot" with coach Lane Kiffin's staff. He was cut loose despite being a personal favorite of owner Al Davis.

Remember this day. Treu, 33, will not be the last older player to be waived. Numerous NFL sources have suggested Kiffin, 32, wants to rid the team of players who are close to his age or older.

Kiffin, sources say, doesn't want players with influence who might threaten his authority.

So team leaders such as fullback Zack Crockett, 34, and -- yes, believe it -- defensive tackle Warren Sapp, 34, are in big trouble. Even if Sapp, who admirably dropped 49 pounds in six months, comes to camp looking like a Pro Bowler, he's probably wasting his time.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#1 : July 26, 2007, 12:55:50 AM

I'd be all for it.  The Bucs needs the fire Warren brought to the field.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#2 : July 26, 2007, 12:56:59 AM

And I'd hate to see him end up in our division.  Can you imagine him on the Falcons?  That makes me sick......

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : July 26, 2007, 12:57:39 AM

I'd love to see him back.   He might be just the kick in the butt or defense needs.    It's not his play that is the key factor here, it's his intangibles.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#4 : July 26, 2007, 12:58:29 AM

And I'd hate to see him end up in our division. Can you imagine him on the Falcons? That makes me sick......

I really hope that the Bucs will offer him a contract if he does get released.  He could be a great short-term solution for us at UT.

Mex-Buc

Rookie

#5 : July 26, 2007, 12:59:19 AM

OMG that would be so great... imagine sapp returning to the Bucs !!! OMG!!!!!

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#6 : July 26, 2007, 01:07:10 AM

:) Having Sapp back would be so freakin cool! Sapp is the MAN!!

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

bucs1

Practice Squad
#7 : July 26, 2007, 01:13:32 AM

Here is what ProFootballTalk.com has to say about the Raiders possibly having to release their older players:

From ProFootballTalk.com: http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

VETERAN PURGE COMING IN OAKLAND?

Nancy Gay of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that new Raiders coach Lane Kiffin could be looking to rid the roster of players close to his age or older, in the hopes of ensuring that his authority won't be undermined.

Already gone is center Adam Treu.  Also in danger, per Gay, are 34-year-old defensive tackle Warren Sapp and 34-year-old fullback Zack Crockett.

Other players who are close to the same age (or older than) the 32-year-old Kiffin are cornerback Duane Starks (33), receiver Alvis Whitted (32), tackle Barry Sims (32), safety Donovin Darius (31), offensive lineman Jeremy Newberry (31), tackle Cornell Green (30), punter Shane Lechler (30), and guard Carlisle Cooper (30).

Of course, several of those guys have been acquired since Kiffin was hired.  So we assume that they're exempt.

If Sapp is cut, we suspect that he'd be signed by the Bears before his locker in Oakland is empty.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#8 : July 26, 2007, 01:28:29 AM

I'd love to see him back.   He might be just the kick in the butt or defense needs.    It's not his play that is the key factor here, it's his intangibles.
With this team, he would be a very solid tackle, considering who we are comparing him to...

I would LOVE seeing him back. 

gone

Hall of Famer
#9 : July 26, 2007, 01:46:57 AM

Too good to happen

noopy2237

Starter
#10 : July 26, 2007, 02:24:07 AM

I guess the best person to replace Warren would be Warren himself. I am all for this signing if it happens.

Diehart fisherman

Starter

#11 : July 26, 2007, 02:53:55 AM

SAPP would be a welcome site for the Bucs!!!

Ericsbucs371

Hall of Famer

#12 : July 26, 2007, 04:44:38 AM

I'd welcome Sapp back with open arms.......for cheap

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#13 : July 26, 2007, 06:16:14 AM

As a HUGE, HUGE fan of big Warren I hate to say it, but don't get your hopes up. Jon and Bruce kinda burned that bridge, IIRC Sapp mentioned not even getting a call from them when he entered FA, so it seems like he wanted to stay but no effort was made to keep him around. Can't see him in Chicago as they've got Harris starting all game long at UT, and their future NT in Dvoracek. Indy maybe. KC, but I don't know if him and Herm are buddy-buddy. Cincy was the front-runners for him before Oakland outbid them, so he could end up there.

"Kiffin, sources say, doesn't want players with influence who might threaten his authority."

I can understand if it were like Keyshawn and mouthed off before, or Simeon who tends to do what he wants, because either of those could rub off on the younger guys. But Sapp and Crockett and a Treu(who sounds awfully familiar)? Sounds like an insecure coach to me.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#14 : July 26, 2007, 06:24:08 AM

I don't think it would be too hard to convince Warren to come back to Tampa.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Raiders Might Have To Release Warren Sapp « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools