Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Reese rips Petitgout « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

bucnut

Hall of Famer
#15 : July 26, 2007, 02:40:29 PM

That is the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard from a GM on a former player.  I hope Pettigout makes the pro bowl this year, and then publicly thank Reese.  What a putz.

NFC South BBS Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!

HarryChronicJr

Rookie

#16 : July 26, 2007, 02:41:03 PM

"I have things to prove," the first-year general manager told The Post.

whobdis

Pro Bowler

#17 : July 26, 2007, 03:53:41 PM

<But in all reality, most Giants fans in the know, are quite pleased to be rid of him>

I'm not sure I agree with that..I work with quite a few Giant fans (unfortunately) and many
were quite puzzled as to the release. Tiki ran to that side quite a bit and you don't get yards
like that with a weak tackle. The GM would not have a response like this if there hasn't
been some outcry to the release decision. Though I can't remember the name..one of the ESPN
guys listed Luke's signing by the Buc's as one of the top 20 free agent moves made this off season.

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

#18 : July 26, 2007, 03:56:07 PM

I remember hearing when we signed Luke Pet. that he WAS Tiki Barbers favorite lineman to run behind. Also heard that Eli Manning wasn't happy hearing of his release either.

I guess the "core" players preference's mean nothing.

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#19 : July 26, 2007, 04:00:15 PM

I remember hearing when we signed Luke Pet. that he WAS Tiki Barbers favorite lineman to run behind. Also heard that Eli Manning wasn't happy hearing of his release either.

First of all, Tiki ran behind a replacement while Petty was out with a broke leg, and he did quite well.

As for Eli, well...he hasn't lived up to anybodies expectations.

I live in NY, and deal with Jets/Bills/Giants all the time.  Pet may be a good signing for the BUcs when you consider what they are dealing with at LT, and the line in general.  He is mos def an upgrade.

But we have to wait and see what a 30 year old LT coming off a major leg break, and bad back issues can bring us.

He has a rep of being a guy who draws the yellow at the wrong time.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#20 : July 26, 2007, 04:01:44 PM

A "Solid LT some of the time" is more than enough to upgrade our O-line from the last few seasons IMO. I don't recall anyone from the Buc's saying he was a HOF LT, but he has experiance and we are certainly not down grading anywhere on the O-line, and should have an improved O-line...So he can hate all he want's.

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

#21 : July 26, 2007, 04:20:36 PM

A "Solid LT some of the time" is more than enough to upgrade our O-line from the last few seasons IMO. I don't recall anyone from the Buc's saying he was a HOF LT, but he has experiance and we are certainly not down grading anywhere on the O-line, and should have an improved O-line...So he can hate all he want's.

I know Madden player ratings are almost pathetic but this is what they were rated in Madden '07

Luke Pet - 89                   
AD - 84
Dan Buenning - 79 at C
Davin Joseph - 84
Jeremy Trueblood - 76

Here's my very educated guess for Madden '08 ratings.

LT - Luke Pet. - 86+/-
LT/LG - AD - 78+/- at LT and 82+ at LG
LG/C - Dan Buenning - 88+/- at LG and 78+ at C
RG - Davin Joseph - 88+
RT - Jeremy Trueblood - 82+

Honorable mention - LG Sears - 80+

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#22 : July 26, 2007, 04:29:10 PM

From the article Bradentonian linked:

"So devalued are the Giants in some circles there's a fairly widespread notion that Reese has set up head coach Tom Coughlin for failure with less-than-robust maneuverings in free agency since replacing Ernie Accorsi. Coughlin was not hired by Reese, and doesn't every GM want his own coach in place? "

In another article it was a little more to the point:

http://mvn.com/nfl-giants/2007/07/26/reese-slams-petitgout-puts-pressure-on-coughlin/

"Well Jerry Reese has finally answered the rumors going around the media world that he was setting up Tom Coughlin for failure by releasing left tackle Luke Petitgout and not bringing in a strong crop of impact players in the off-season"

And apparently the Giant fans were not real satisfied with the prospect of a career Guard (Dheil) replacing a career tackle (Petigout) protecting Eli's blind side. They think it is a money move:

http://mvn.com/nfl-giants/2007/02/20/can-diehl-fill-in-the-gaping-hole-at-lt/

Eli Manning wasn't stellar when he had a LT protecting him - now he's got a guard doing from the tackle spot.
Methinks Jerry Reese will leave with Coughlin... This has the earmarks of a new GM creating a dust storm to hide his mistake.

Plus, if the alternatives to buying Luke Petigout were spending WAY to much for lazy Leonard Davis or keeping Kenyatta Walker?

I'll take Luke all day long

Incomparable sig by Incognito

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#23 : July 26, 2007, 05:06:27 PM

Plus, if the alternatives to buying Luke Petigout were spending WAY to much for lazy Leonard Davis or keeping Kenyatta Walker?

I'll take Luke all day long
Agreed.

Ericsbucs371

Hall of Famer

#24 : July 26, 2007, 05:20:11 PM

That is the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard from a GM on a former player. I hope Pettigout makes the pro bowl this year, and then publicly thank Reese.  What a putz.
and I hope that the Giants have big problems at left tackle.

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#25 : July 26, 2007, 08:04:20 PM

Here's what PFT.com said about Reese's comments in regards to Petitgout...

Remarked an industry source in response to these comments, "Until you learn how to talk to the media, don't."  The source also described Reese's decision to criticize publicly a player who is currently under contract with another team as "amateurish." 

Reese's comments, in our view, reflect the verbal meanderings of an insecure man who believes that he needs to justify his decisions in an effort to make as many people as possible happy.  If he can't make his decisions and move on without feeling compelled to defend them, Reese won't be a G.M. for very long.

gone

Hall of Famer
#26 : July 26, 2007, 08:16:53 PM

Here's what PFT.com said about Reese's comments in regards to Petitgout...

Remarked an industry source in response to these comments, "Until you learn how to talk to the media, don't."  The source also described Reese's decision to criticize publicly a player who is currently under contract with another team as "amateurish." 

Reese's comments, in our view, reflect the verbal meanderings of an insecure man who believes that he needs to justify his decisions in an effort to make as many people as possible happy.  If he can't make his decisions and move on without feeling compelled to defend them, Reese won't be a G.M. for very long.

They read my post...

Balls Out

Starter
#27 : July 26, 2007, 08:45:49 PM

I watched an Eli interview shortly after Petitgout was let go and you didn't need the skill of a professional poker player to make the read on him....he was damn near tears....that's a good sign for us, as long as he stays healthy of course.

"Some birds can only have a back archer if you flick the starter button - spocking the G spot doesn't work on all of them"

gone

Hall of Famer
#28 : July 26, 2007, 10:25:13 PM

Contrast Reese on Pettigout vs. Allen on Rice. 

Reese is a tool.

BUCarino

Pro Bowler

#29 : July 26, 2007, 10:26:23 PM

I hope this is sour grapes.

It is!  I watched the tape of the Giants vs. Niners playoff game the other night on NFL TA from a few years ago and Petitgout manhandled the Niners DL in that game as I keyed on him and he looked great.  He plays with a nasty attitude that the Buc's OL desparately need.

He may not be a perrenial Pro Bowl LY as there are some pretty good ones in the NFC, but he's the best LT the Buc's have had since Paul Gruber IMHO, IF he stays healthy!

"Life's too short not to live in caution,
But life's too long not to live at all!"
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Reese rips Petitgout « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools