Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How can Rice pass a physical? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Cheers

Pro Bowler

#30 : July 30, 2007, 12:12:56 PM

You said:
Great Clayton earns a brownie point for effort.

Yes it does. And it would have earned him a roster spot if Sim would have had the 2nd scope early and reported ready to play. Unready, unwilling and over paid makes the difference.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#31 : July 30, 2007, 12:18:15 PM

And it would have earned him a roster spot if Sim would have had the 2nd scope early and reported ready to play

Pure speculation at this point.  We do not know if that is the reason why Rice was cut.

Cheers

Pro Bowler

#32 : July 30, 2007, 12:29:44 PM

We do know that it was many reasons. Bruce said that in the press conference. I certainly believe a player showing the good faith to show up having tried to be ready with the 2nd scope done it certainly would've made a difference. Most discussed on all MB's is speculation, but it is fairly easy to use reason and look on both sides of an issue. Sim healthy is the man and I am all for him. Brownie points are a great thing too for players that want to play for a team.

gone

Hall of Famer
#33 : July 30, 2007, 12:42:07 PM

Sim should have had that shoulder scoped long before camp and been ready to go. If he did this he would still be with the team

That is not a reason to cut a player.  Clayton wasn't cut when he decided (unwisely_ to scope his knee late in the off season a while back.

Simeon being 3 weeks behind the curve and not taking a paycut isn't reason to cut him.  Simeon being out half of 06, and bing 6-8 weeks behind the curve with no guarantee he'll even play, and refusing a paycut, yeah, that's a fair enough reason.  I really see no way we cut him if we really thought he was going to be a factor this year and had nothing better to spend it on.  Just because Simeon says 3-4 weeks doesn't make it so. 

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#34 : July 30, 2007, 01:59:59 PM

I think his angle is we don't know because Bruce is a big fat Liar liar pants on fire. Caught them on the telephone wire.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#35 : July 30, 2007, 02:07:12 PM

We do know that it was many reasons. Bruce said that in the press conference. I certainly believe a player showing the good faith to show up having tried to be ready with the 2nd scope done it certainly would've made a difference.

Sim had to show up or it would cost him in fines. He gets no props for being at TC.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

#36 : July 30, 2007, 03:30:36 PM

Man, Strahan hates Rice. That's almost too funny to consider. Gappy'd go apeshat if Sim took his place....
And that is what I said already.

It is a leverage ploy to get Strahan back.

And a player that can't pass the physical isn't much leverage at all. Rice could probably be confined to a wheelchair and still pass their physical. That doesn't mean he'll be signed.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#37 : July 30, 2007, 04:09:48 PM

Simeon being out half of 06, and bing 6-8 weeks behind the curve with no guarantee he'll even play, and refusing a paycut, yeah, that's a fair enough reason

That is not a fair reason.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#38 : July 30, 2007, 05:02:12 PM

We'll know more about the bluff<>not bluff thing, the Titans are going to bring in Rice as well:

Titans | S. Rice expected to visit team
Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:18:16 -0700

Paul Kuharsky and Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, report free-agent DL Simeon Rice (Buccaneers) should meet with the Tennessee Titans after he meets with the New York Giants this week, according to general manager Mike Reinfeldt. "Tentatively we'd like to have him come in after New York," Reinfeldt said. "I'm not sure it's been finalized as of yet."

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#39 : July 30, 2007, 05:42:22 PM

From NYDailyNews.com: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2007/07/umenyiora_thinks_rice_a_bad_id.html

Umenyiora thinks Rice a bad idea for the Giants

The Giants already have a problem with one of their defensive ends. And if they sign Simeon Rice on Wednesday, they're going to have a problem with another one, too.

Osi Umenyiora thinks Rice is a bad idea for the Giants, because he's not a good enough run-stuffer to fill Strahan's shoes on the left side. And if the Giants ask Umenyiora to switch to the left side to make room for Rice, he said the answer will be "No."

"I'm not going to move to left defensive end because Simeon Rice is coming in," Umenyiora said today. "I won't do it."

You can read much more on this in tomorrow's Daily News, but Umenyiora called the idea of switching sides "crazy". He even suggested that the only place Rice might be a fit for the Giants is if he played at linebacker.

"What position is he going to play over here? Left defensive end? He's not a run player," Umenyiora said. "Everybody knows he's not a run defensive player and that's where they run the football at. The only other option would be to move me over there and I'm not moving over there. There's nowhere for him to play unless he's going to be a linebacker or something.

"So we have a little bit of a situation here if they decide to bring him in."

If Strahan's holdout continues, and if he decides to eventually retire, Umenyiora would prefer the Giants give a shot at left end to Justin Tuck or William Joseph. He also wouldn't mind seeing Mathias Kiwanuka moved back from linebacker to his old spot.

All three of those are possibilities. However, Rice will be in New York on Tuesday and will take a physical for the team on Wednesday. After that he will travel to Albany to meet with the Giants' front office and probably Tom Coughlin. If his shoulder checks out, according to team sources, the Giants are prepared to discuss a contract with him.

Before they do, maybe they should have a talk with Umenyiora first.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#40 : July 30, 2007, 06:02:22 PM

LOL...boy Umenyiora is a real team player.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#41 : July 30, 2007, 06:07:56 PM

Nice welcome to a meeting and a physical - gotta a lot to build on.  Old Simeon and Umenyiora will have stuff to fill a luncheon conversation -

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#42 : July 31, 2007, 04:57:39 PM

FWIW, and don't know if it's been posted here yet, but Sim was on JP's show today. Said Dr James Andrews in Pensacola passed him with flying colors.... although Rice said he still needs a couple of weeks to "get right". He was at the airport heading to NY ... Should be interesting next couple of days.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How can Rice pass a physical? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools