Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Deja Vu? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#30 : August 02, 2007, 03:39:20 PM

If the FO offers a player the option to stay at a reduced but still reasonable salary considering age and health status, and that player absolutely REFUSES to drop his salary, what would the OP suggest the FO do?

Consider a more media friendly exit strategy that doen't make the FO look like it doesn't care to its LFB(loyal fan base.)

Like the New England Patriots media strategy? DO whatever you want because no one will question us here? Where the local media knows not to question the credibility of their coach and their stupid sophomoric tricks won't work because Bill Belichick can pretty much do whatever he wants?

I submit the reason Gruden is an idiot this year but wasn't in 2002 - is because the media doesn't like that they can't be fed sotries (inside information) the way Rich used to. Rich would influence contract negotiations or draft positioning by leaking stories. He was forced to give the media inside scoops in order to be painted as a "good guy". Now that they have guys that are more secretive in order to maintain negotiating room - The local media is now holding the HC's and GM's reputation over the fire until he or Bruce Allen relents and start doing what THEY (local media types) want them to - the way they wan them to.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#31 : August 02, 2007, 04:32:32 PM

Sapp-meguy, Keenan-meguy, Me-Shawn, Si-ME-on...

Notice the trend with certain players that have moved on?

Bucsguru - that ws disengenuous of you. From what I can read you can't hide your animosity toward Gruden in a matchbox.

These threades do allow me to correct the crookedness of this path...you find yourself on.

I disagree with the lumping of Sapp with those other two prima donnas. I honestly believe that Warren was a team player, up to a point and not anywhere near the me-type of the two Ke's. He wasn't a locker room cancer. This is why Guru's being ok with those two narcissists being jettisoned but not with the Rice thing is kind of puzzling..

No that's true I guess if we start parsing this up you could potentially categorize the types of ME guys - bottom line - if Sapp had wanted to be a Buc he could have taken a pay cut. The Bucs thought enough of him and his leadership role that wthey allowed him to play out a contract thatr was backloaded. Wonder what would have happened if we had gone to him and asked for a restructure in his final years.

Sim was in a class with Me-shawn and Keenan - Me first before any body else or even the health of the team....

Sapp was just me first when pursuing getting paid.

Think Derrick Brooks could have gotten more on the open market than he got from the Bucs on his last contract? Think he could have said NO when asked to restructure? Wonder why he didn't?

BTW - Sim has never been one of the sharper knives in the box. Rice was allegedly (according to him) offered $5 mil to play for the Bucs this year. He is now talking to the Giants about possibly replacing Strahan - anyone know what Strahan is holding out for? He wants to be paid more than the $4mil his contract has him making this year....think Sim has a HOPE of getting MORE than Strahan?

Real smart move Sim....way to think emotionally.

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#32 : August 02, 2007, 05:51:19 PM

ALL I GOTTA SAY IS "ARE YOU 'S'UCKING 'F'ERIOUS? WOULD YOU HONESTLY PAY si-ME-on $7.5MILL FOR MISSING 50-70% OF THE SEASON OR RATHER ASK HIM TO TAKE A 30% CUT?"

You do realize that without GRUDEN we'd have no LOMBARDI...right?

Dude, if you're on a "Coach Gruden Bandwagon" then let me be the first to push your butt off of it (becuase bandwagoners' just take up to much room, like fried rice and si"ME"on Rice). If you saw the scar on back of Lynch's neck, you would have understood why the Bucs decided not to re-sign him. Sure let's re-sign Lynch and take a chance at him never playing football again because of his injury (had this been the case, you people would still have found a reason to dog and complain that the Bucs shouldn't have taken a chance on a career ending injury). So get over Lynch not being here.

As far as Sapp goes, he's an dumb jerk to fans and was also disliked in the locker room (you should seriously read up on your day off pal), not to mention his production has not been good since leaving Tampa (that's right, he left because the Bucs we're not going to match chOAKLAND's offer and I'm glad they didn't too).

As far as si'ME'on Rice goes, he wasn't even offered a contract in NY (gonna be hard to find a team, when your not a "TEAM" PLAYER). It looks like it's gonna be a long road for him and his HOT PINK BROKEBACK SHOES.

#33 : August 02, 2007, 07:24:14 PM

Why does everyone think Simeon was only making 7.5 mil? If Im not mistaken his base pay was 7 mil and he also had 3 mil more on top of that in signing bonus money. He was due to make 10+ mil

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#34 : August 02, 2007, 07:40:08 PM

Why does everyone think Simeon was only making 7.5 mil? If Im not mistaken his base pay was 7 mil and he also had 3 mil more on top of that in signing bonus money. He was due to make 10+ mil

he was due $7.5mill this year base salaries and roster bonus (real dollars) , his cap value was 10+mill, he got the signing bonus money years ago, when he signed, hence the name "signing bonus", the last 3mill of the signing bonus is being applied to this years cap.

The issue wasn't cap dollars, it was the real money vs not so real production.

wolfet

Pro Bowler
#35 : August 02, 2007, 10:12:09 PM

Sapp-meguy, Keenan-meguy, Me-Shawn, Si-ME-on...

Notice the trend with certain players that have moved on?

Bucsguru - that ws disengenuous of you. From what I can read you can't hide your animosity toward Gruden in a matchbox.

These threades do allow me to correct the crookedness of this path...you find yourself on.

Sapp, a me-guy? I can't agree with you on that one. From what i could see, this guy was about team and accountability.

Sapp was a bit of a phony, but not a me guy.  The persona he put on for the media differed from his off the field persona toward the fans.  Sapp was a team leader and an enforcer in the locker room.  He gives Gruden his due and has never bashed him.  Sapp simply was not going to take much less than the  market  which the Bucs could not pay him because the Bucs had rewarded his younger but less talented teamate, DT Booger McFarland.  He never played close to the level that Sapp did.  Sapp and Lynch were the vocal leaders of the defense prior to their departures.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#36 : August 03, 2007, 02:42:25 AM

Sapp was definitely a better team guy than the others in my post; however, he is a different type of ME guy - like I said in my original post. he is a me guy - just a different kind.

You're right - Sapp decided to leave to go after the money - the ME position. Derrick Brooks went the other way. Sapp chased the money and ended up on a BAD team. Brooks had another playoff run and a another few pro bowls. in the end we'll see who gets the most money.

Yes each WR was succesful elsewhere - never more than their last season here though.

Maybe those team guys have something after all?

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#37 : August 03, 2007, 09:15:23 AM

Yes each WR was succesful elsewhere - never more than their last season here though.

Ad what's so funny about the defenders of those WR's, like windbag Deumig, is that they were problem children BEFORE coming here. That's conveniently left out when trying to dump those situations all on Gruden...

Bucsvp

Rookie

#38 : August 03, 2007, 09:48:45 AM

I agree it seems to be a recuring theme with this team letting go of probowler's and team leaders. Could it be the coach doesn't want anyone else blocking his limelight?

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#39 : August 03, 2007, 10:08:33 AM

I agree it seems to be a recuring theme with this team letting go of probowler's and team leaders. Could it be the coach doesn't want anyone else blocking his limelight?
Really? Seems to me that Brooks, Alstott, Barber, Pittman, and other leaders are still here, and that they've brought in other team leaders like Kevin Carter and Jeff Garcia.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#40 : August 03, 2007, 10:31:58 AM

This is a wait and see move IMO.  He goes on and becomes productive for someone else, I will be dissapointed and can say there is an established pattern with other Buc greats let go too early.  If he signs for the league min and plays sparingly, then it was a great call by the FO.  Only time will tell.
For the record, I am always amazed at some of the posters comments on this board.  When did we become a board that when anyone posts a comment not to anothers liking, that everyone gang rapes the poster with negative posts.  Wouldn't it be easier just to ignore the post all together if you don't agree?  Is enraged comments actually an attempt to persuade the poster to change?  Think before you post and respect others opinions would seem the "right" thing to do ;)

Bucsvp

Rookie

#41 : August 03, 2007, 11:18:57 AM

Really? Seems to me that Brooks, Alstott, Barber, Pittman, and other leaders are still here, and that they've brought in other team leaders like Kevin Carter and Jeff Garcia.

And we've seen the results of their moves. It ain't pretty.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#42 : August 03, 2007, 11:21:50 AM

Sapp was out because McKay spent that $$ on boogs.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#43 : August 03, 2007, 11:37:45 AM

No one before or since got the crowd up at a game like Sapp.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#44 : August 03, 2007, 11:40:31 AM

No one before or since got the crowd up at a game like Sapp.

I agree.  Sapp brought the attitude it takes to be a SB winner. 
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Deja Vu? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools