Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Short Yardage Passes « previous next »
Page: 1 2

darryl

Practice Squad
: November 05, 2006, 04:41:56 PM

Why was Gradkowski throwing so many short yardage passes during the game and on 3rd and long? [banghead]

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#1 : November 05, 2006, 04:43:28 PM

The same reason we always throw short yardage passes; it's the main ingredient of our offense. 

Ft. Myers Buc Fan

Practice Squad

#2 : November 05, 2006, 04:47:08 PM

I think that Gruden has made such a big deal about not turning the ball over that Bruce is scared to throw it downfield and checks down on the large majority of pass plays which is bordering on ridiculous

SamoaJoeBucFan

Starter

#3 : November 05, 2006, 04:48:07 PM

Just check downs.  He really had nowhere else to go with the ball on alot of those throws.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#4 : November 05, 2006, 04:49:15 PM

Bruce is heeding the old doctor's advice - first do no harm.  He's managing the game well (6 Td's to 1 INT).

This of course comes at a cost of a lot of 3 and outs.

BucsAddict

Starter

#5 : November 05, 2006, 05:19:39 PM

Bruce is heeding the old doctor's advice - first do no harm. He's managing the game well (6 Td's to 1 INT).

40? and counting

==================================================
Gruden: Simms is gonna be a helluva quaterback- unless I screw it up.

gone

Hall of Famer
#6 : November 05, 2006, 05:20:26 PM

When there's nothing there on third and long you either:
a) Force it into coverage and get a high risk of INT
b) Throw it away
c) Pick up something even if it's not the first down.

He's picking (c), and wisely.  Not that he probably hasn't left some plays out there, but he's making the right decision more often than not.

XXXVII Champs

Second String

#7 : November 05, 2006, 05:54:35 PM

Heck, I'd settle for some Int's, at least we'd be trying to get down the field.  These short  and swing passes haven't been doing it, so let 'er go.  Afterall, it's not like we'd risking a game.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#8 : November 05, 2006, 05:56:13 PM

Given how bad our defense is I agree that it really is time to open up the offense and see what Gradkowski can really do.  Trying to protect the ball for our defense to give up 9 minute 4th quarter drives is pretty dumb.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#9 : November 05, 2006, 05:58:09 PM

b) Throw it away

He's picking (c), and wisely. Not that he probably hasn't left some plays out there, but he's making the right decision more often than not.

Some of those times maybe you should throw a ball deep, and either A. let your WR make a play, B. Draw a PI call, or C. Throw an INT, which if you throw a 40 yard pass its just as good as a punt......

XXXVII Champs

Second String

#10 : November 05, 2006, 05:59:15 PM

b) Throw it away

He's picking (c), and wisely. Not that he probably hasn't left some plays out there, but he's making the right decision more often than not.

Some of those times maybe you should throw a ball deep, and either A. let your WR make a play, B. Draw a PI call, or C. Throw an INT, which if you throw a 40 yard pass its just as good as a punt......
Bingo!

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#11 : November 06, 2006, 01:50:36 AM

Just check downs. He really had nowhere else to go with the ball on alot of those throws.

That's crap, the announcers even laughed at it and knew that people were open. Dude, he checked down many times before he got out of his three step drop...and the majority of these times he had good blocking. The bad play was in the 4th quarter and we were down 31-14. It was fourth and three and we went for it, which I was all for. Clayton looked like he was going to drag the middle of the field, then he reverse pivoted and was wide open. Grads over threw him, rookie or not you have to make that play. I really like that play but you know what?...I will bet my life that you will never see it again the remaining season!

allforbucs

Rookie

#12 : November 06, 2006, 08:00:52 AM

The same reason we always throw short yardage passes; it's the main ingredient of our offense.

I hate it - we hardly ever convert on 3rd and long - I hate those 3-5 yard dumps when we need 15

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 06, 2006, 08:03:04 AM

The offense has not changed since Gruden has been here so I am not sure why everyone is suprised.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#14 : November 06, 2006, 01:06:44 PM

Bruce is heeding the old doctor's advice - first do no harm.  He's managing the game well (6 Td's to 1 INT).

Average 2nd down = 9.2 yards

Average 3rd down 10.5 yards

That is a tuff spot for any QB to be in every series.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Short Yardage Passes « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools