Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Short Yardage Passes « previous next »
Page: 1 2

spartan

Hall of Famer
#15 : November 06, 2006, 01:14:18 PM

Why was Gradkowski throwing so many short yardage passes during the game and on 3rd and long? [banghead]

There is an English expression:

Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.

How this translates to the Bucs is before we get adventurous we need to get the basics right. We are not doing that so trying to be clever is suicidal. The game might still be a bit fast and furious for Grads right now so it is the prudent thing to 'dump it off', 'dink and duk', call it what you will. Right now I am happy that he is not throwing interceptions. If other members of the team managed to step it up a bit he may have more time and get a bit more comfortable. Then and only then will we see the true Grad IMO. Not saying that he is the next Peyton Manning but he is under so much pressure right now it is tough to try anything fancy that doesn't border on stupidity.

#16 : November 06, 2006, 01:27:38 PM

Bruce is heeding the old doctor's advice - first do no harm.  He's managing the game well (6 Td's to 1 INT).

This of course comes at a cost of a lot of 3 and outs.

Average 2nd down = 9.2 yards

Average 3rd down 10.5 yards

That is a tuff spot for any QB to be in every series.

I agree.  Part of that is on Gradkowski, though.  He also seems to check down a bit too quickly at times.  Overall, though, I'd call the job he's doing a good one considering that he's a rookie.  He's got stuff to work on, but he's shown flashes.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#17 : November 06, 2006, 01:40:56 PM

Part of that is on Gradkowski, though.  He also seems to check down a bit too quickly at times.  Overall, though, I'd call the job he's doing a good one considering that he's a rookie.  He's got stuff to work on, but he's shown flashes.

Gruden acknowledged that has an area that needs improvement in the PC.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#18 : November 06, 2006, 04:12:23 PM

Why was Gradkowski throwing so many short yardage passes during the game and on 3rd and long? [banghead]

Bruce is still pretty naive. He seems a bit too afraid at times to take a shot or two just like most rookie QB's, hence why he often goes to the checkdown receiver. But this will improve in time as he learns to distinguish coverages more efficiently and gains more confidence from greater experience.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

#19 : November 06, 2006, 04:15:31 PM

Bruce is still pretty naive. He seems a bit too afraid at times to take a shot or two just like most rookie QB's, hence why he often goes to the checkdown receiver. But this will improve in time as he learns to distinguish coverages more efficiently and gains more confidence from greater experience.

Right.  I like the fact that he checks down, but he needs to hit more of the intermediate/long throws so that the checkdown throws are a bit more effective.  There aren't many QBs who will make something happen consistently on 3rd and 10+, though.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Short Yardage Passes « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools