Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Xbox 360 Users -good news « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Swolf

Practice Squad

#15 : August 07, 2007, 08:15:32 AM

Here is why NOT to get the inter cooler:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/27/nyko-intercooler-scorches-xbox-360-consoles/

Nyko Intercooler scorches Xbox 360 consoles?
Posted Oct 27th 2006 11:03AM by Darren Murph
Filed under: Gaming, Peripherals

We've seen our fair share of products that aren't exactly "as advertised," but it seems that Nyko's Intercooler might actually up the stakes by accomplishing the complete opposite of what it's intended to do. While the Xbox 360 has experienced a good bit of "technical difficulties" in its short life, the Intercooler accessory was hailed as a product that nixed the seemingly widespread overheating issues; however, new reports are suggesting that the device "steals too much power" from the oh-so-needy innards of Microsoft's console, leading to eventual failure of the components. It was noted that the Intercooler can even elicit "brown discoloration" around the system's AC input before users are faced with the ominous red ring, and if this tale-tell sign is witnessed by RMA processors, your return becomes null and void for using an "unlicensed peripheral." Although Nyko respectfully defends its questionably useful product, Microsoft doesn't appear to lend the same appreciation -- but regardless, there's still a few (unofficial) methods left to ensure your Xbox 360 stays below the boiling point, cool?

http://crunchgear.com/2006/10/27/nykos-intercooler-causes-problems-for-xbox-360/

Nyko’s Intercooler Causes Problems For Xbox 360
October 27 Raj Patel     

The Intercooler is a 3-fan venting system that attaches to the back of the Xbox 360, keeping the console cool and improving console performance. Seeing as how my Xbox 360 has never given me any problems (and it’s from the first batch of consoles), I haven’t gotten a chance to use the Intercooler myself, which turns out to be a good thing. Nyko’s Intercooler has been named a cause for Xbox 360’s “rings of death” (red lights that flash on your Xbox 360 console telling you that you’re screwed). Once these lights come on, owners usually have to contact Xbox support and send their consoles back in for repair.

Game World Industries contacted a couple different Microsoft customer service representatives to talk about the issue, both reps stated that the Intercooler causes problems for the Xbox 360. The first representatives stated that Nyko’s Intercooler drains too much power from the Xbox 360, which was manufactured with enough power to support only itself. The Intercooler drains a large amount of power when the console starts up, which causes certain components to not get the power they need to run correctly, which can then lead to the death of the console. The second rep stated that they had seen “scorch marks” on the console from the Intercooler - probably just dust. If you send in your Xbox 360 and these scorch marks are present, Microsoft will send you your console back untouched (The Intercooler is not a licensed Microsoft product). They did, however, recommend switching to Pelican’s fan stand, which connects to the console via USB.

When Aaron, from Gaming World Industries, bought the Intercooler himself to test out the product, it only worked for 2 months before it killed his Xbox 360. He called Nyko for an explanation, it stated that like most products on the market, the Intercooler has a small defect rate and is a reliable product. Now, no one really knows who to blame. Is Microsoft using the Nyko’s Intercooler as a scapegoat? Or is Nyko essentially responsible for Xbox 360 deaths? Perhaps, with the rise of the Wii, the point will be moot.

THese are just a couple of articles I found in the past couple of minutes. I personally keep mine well ventillated and I am going to by a laptop cooler here soon. JMO

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#16 : August 07, 2007, 08:35:15 AM

I was thinking the same thing Swolf, a laptop cooler would probably work very well!

This is a few weeks old now as Microsoft reported that they are going to lose 1 billion dollars by extending the warranties and reimbursing customers in early July. Still, if you didn't know, now you do.

replica

Hall of Famer
#17 : August 07, 2007, 08:55:54 AM

I bought mine in Febuary, no problems yet.....I leave it on my entertainment center, which is wide open, and I only play for about 3 hours max..most of the time..Madden has not dropped yet..

Ericsbucs371

Hall of Famer

#18 : August 07, 2007, 03:17:38 PM

I thought if you had an intercooler that voided your warranty.

I have something different to cool it which can only be used if my system is vertical, so I keep mine that way.
If you open the case on your 360 than your warranty is voided. I suggest a add on cooler like this one. http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-743840860204-Xbox-360-Intercooler/dp/B000F5RW1U/ref=pd_bbs_8/102-1979882-7716931?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1186459181&sr=8-8
Bro, that is what he is talking about...

Try looking up Intertec...

Sorry I was thinking about a water-cooler like this one. where you have to open up your 360
http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4897

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#19 : August 08, 2007, 08:16:52 AM

I like the bottle cap idea, right now I am using coasters, but the cap takes up less space, so I will be going to buy some bottled pepsi tomorrow. Thanks Dal!

No beer in the fridge? Really? Cause if you like football you should keep some beer in your fridge. Really.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#20 : August 08, 2007, 08:57:36 AM

I like the bottle cap idea, right now I am using coasters, but the cap takes up less space, so I will be going to buy some bottled pepsi tomorrow. Thanks Dal!

No beer in the fridge? Really? Cause if you like football you should keep some beer in your fridge. Really.

Soda caps > beer caps.....well for this only.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#21 : August 08, 2007, 09:19:43 AM

I've always thought they were the same size

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#22 : August 08, 2007, 09:28:08 AM

The plastic soda caps are thicker allowing for more airflow underneath. If you use this method make sure to put your 360 in a place were it can't be knocked to the floor.

Ericsbucs371

Hall of Famer

#23 : August 08, 2007, 04:46:39 PM

Xbox 360 price drop. http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/811/811056p1.html

Sgt.Shultz

Hall of Famer

#24 : August 08, 2007, 04:59:27 PM

Woo 50 bucks. Its still too expensive imo.

Ericsbucs371

Hall of Famer

#25 : August 08, 2007, 05:07:35 PM

Woo 50 bucks. Its still too expensive imo.

Woo add 10 bucks to that and you have yourself another game. What were you expecting for the 360's first price drop?

Sgt.Shultz

Hall of Famer

#26 : August 08, 2007, 05:09:40 PM

I remember they were selling a 1000 360s on Amazon for a 100 bucks on Thanksgiving. Of course I goto the relatives house with the slowest internet alive and never ever get to the friggin page to get one!

Ericsbucs371

Hall of Famer

#27 : August 08, 2007, 05:14:35 PM

I remember they were selling a 1000 360s on Amazon for a 100 bucks on Thanksgiving. Of course I goto the relatives house with the slowest internet alive and never ever get to the friggin page to get one!
Yeah I remember that too. That was a pretty awesome deal they had.

Sgt.Shultz

Hall of Famer

#28 : August 08, 2007, 05:16:12 PM

I wonder how many of those 360s they sold were red lighting it. Prolly most of them since they were soo cheap.

Ericsbucs371

Hall of Famer

#29 : August 08, 2007, 05:22:44 PM

I wonder how many of those 360s they sold were red lighting it. Prolly most of them since they were soo cheap.
That doesn't matter with the great warranty MS provides

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Xbox 360 Users -good news « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools