Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gainesville « previous next »
Page: 1

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

: August 16, 2007, 11:49:57 AM

They don't show the Bucs on local cable there. You have to go to a bar to catch most of the games.

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

Ericsbucs371

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 09, 2007, 06:37:45 PM

Thanks man. UF is in my top 2. If I get in there, I am like 98% sure that is where I will be going. My other school in the top 2 is Ohio State and I probably won't be getting accepted there.

I love Florida (the area) though. I have only been there once, but I would rather have the heat than the miserable winters that I have endured in Pennsylvania in my life. I'm so sick of the cold.
Well we have plenty of heat down here, thats for sure. I've never been to Gainesville, but form what I hear its your normal college town. Good luck with UF

Sgt.Shultz

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 09, 2007, 06:16:22 PM

You gotta be really smart to get into UF. I will accept the fact I am smart but lazy and head over to Tallahassee. GO NOLES!

But in all respect to FSU, what I want to major in they have like the best program in the country for so yeah.

#3 : August 09, 2007, 06:09:52 PM

its a big college town, not much else besides that. You should have a great time. Not far at all from Orlando, and also pretty dambn close to Tampa.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#4 : August 09, 2007, 09:18:00 AM

Does anybody from here live in Gainesville? If so, what's it like there? Nice place? Do you get all the Bucs games covered on local cable?

I'm applying to law school at the University of Florida so I am curious to know what it's like there.

Groovatron

Pro Bowler

#5 : August 09, 2007, 09:26:51 AM

Good luck w/ your application. I don't know if you can get the Bucs games or not. I would imagine that market would be the Jags.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#6 : August 09, 2007, 09:39:08 AM

Thanks man. UF is in my top 2. If I get in there, I am like 98% sure that is where I will be going. My other school in the top 2 is Ohio State and I probably won't be getting accepted there.

I love Florida (the area) though. I have only been there once, but I would rather have the heat than the miserable winters that I have endured in Pennsylvania in my life. I'm so sick of the cold.

HeHateMe

Rookie

#7 : August 09, 2007, 09:49:56 AM

I visited there not too long ago. Its a pretty cool place, but be aware they show the football championship on a loop or something. Literally watched it 5 times before I left there.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#8 : August 09, 2007, 08:23:03 PM

Great town. It is quite different than FL south of I-4, hilly and lots of tall hardwood trees which helps keep things a little cooler (ok less sweltering).

Most of the Bucs games will be on Fox and there is a Fox station in Ocala, about 30m south. The Two home AFC games are on CBS and their is a local station.

Bring a bike! The parking on campus is non-existant so most student bike between classes and home.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#9 : August 09, 2007, 09:28:59 PM

Thanks for all the advice / information guys.

It is still very early in my process. As far as UF being difficul to get into, they are the 47th or 48th best law school in the country depending on which ranking system you are looking at. Unlike undergraduate school, ranking in law school means everything. Where you go is very important as to what kind of a network you can build after you are out of school. UF is a nice spot to be in terms of all that, so it is certainly no lock that I will get in even though my LSAT score was a 157 and within their median and my GPA is a 3.73 which is on the high end of their median.

At any rate, it will be sweet to not have to pay $300 to watch the Bucs play on Sundays. Also, training camp next year would be a must see event being so close.

You think that as a graduate student who would be living off campus they wouldn't have parking for me somewhere? They don't take care of commuters with the parking situations? They probably have a shuttle service or something at worst, right?

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#10 : August 10, 2007, 12:11:40 PM

They have added a lot of parking since I went there, including several multi level garages. They do have commuter parking decals for post-grads. Here is a link

And according to this map there is a large lot near HOL (Holland Law School)

But if you need to do a lot of running around on campus, a bike is the way to go.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#11 : August 10, 2007, 12:33:36 PM

I shouldn't...the law school should be all in one building.

It is called Frederic C. Levin School of Law though. Is it Holland Hall?

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#12 : August 10, 2007, 01:02:42 PM

It used to be Holland School of Law but these things change. On the maps it is still listed as HOL-Holland Law Bldg.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#13 : August 10, 2007, 05:42:57 PM

Gainesville is a very nice town-- that has grown in leaps and bounds -- there was nothing on the other side of 75 when i lved there except keg parties on old tower road. now alot of Hotels and Apts and shops. I am from St Pete Tampa area. Unlike Gait I thought Gainesville was 10X hotter in the summer and a really humid because there was no off shore breeze coming in. I also found it rains more in Gainesville. Gainesville though is very pretty with rolling hills and nice tall hardwoods. I loved the dowtown college feel and the walking diatnce to anything you wanted right around campus. Plenty of night life, Plenty of outdoor acitivites, and plenty of nature all around the area. As I recall the local Cox cable affiliate when i was there was not Ocala -- it was out of J Ville and carried Jax games. But plenty of bars had the Bucs on. But I was recently in the past 2 years up there for a conference and we got the Bucs game on local affiliate and if I recall correctly it wasn't a national game-- so i think Cox cable didn't carry it but I am pretty sure they are not the cable company there any more.

My favorites up there were definitely the Pizza Place off University Leonardo's, Burrito Brothers, Hogans Heros, Purple Porpoise, the Swamp, Fl Theatre, and Tiki Hut. All college favorites when i was there. Also if you like nature and canoeing probably some of my favorite times were cabrewing ( form of canoeing with  pony keg one ice in the center of the canoe) down the Santa Fe River into all the different springs. The caverns were also really cool. I have taken my boys to see it as well minus the brews of course.

I have always said when I retire I will likely go to NW G Ville somewhere.

T

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 14, 2007, 09:03:33 AM

My roommate went there and said he got to see all the Bucs games.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gainesville « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools