Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sporting News Article - interesting nuggets of info... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

superbuc

Practice Squad
: August 12, 2007, 03:44:54 PM

Sorry if posted already, didn't see it.  Most interesting were the part about Gruden and Nece.

Camp tour: Garcia gives Bucs hope
August 11, 2007

War Room scouts

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- No one is happier to see quarterback Jeff Garcia in a Bucs uniform than coach Jon Gruden. The Bucs tried to sign Garcia in 2004 but didn't have the cap room. Gruden didn't hesitate when the Eagles cut Garcia loose this offseason.

Gruden says Garcia will give his offense new life. Garcia has an extensive knowledge and experience in the West Coast offense, is supremely confident and can make things happen if a play breaks down. Gruden seems reenergized by the possibilities and could give Garcia more latitude than with any of his previous quarterbacks in Tampa Bay or Oakland.

On defense, the buzz isn't as good. It could be a long time before first-round pick Gaines Adams contributes in a significant way. His pass-rush skills are sub-par, he lacks the ideal strength to defend the run and he mostly shows poor technique. Don't expect Adams to scare anybody before Halloween.

Our non-story of the week is Gruden's job status. Now, listen closely -- Gruden is not on the hot seat. People waiting for Chucky to hit the pavement best not hold their breath.

PLAYER ON THE SPOT

Wide receiver Michael Clayton, a first-round pick in 2004, has dropped down the depth chart -- behind Maurice Stovall. Garcia has taken a shine to Stovall, a third-round pick in '06 who has taken a quantum leap thanks to a strong work ethic, a big frame, good hands and improved route-running. Garcia came into camp with a blank slate with all receivers, and it seems as though Clayton will be left out of the mix.

PLAYER ON THE RISE

Defensive lineman Kevin Carter is a favorite of the Bucs' coaches. They love his durability and the fact he can play end or tackle in the scheme. Look for Carter to be at left end on most running downs and nose tackle on most passing downs. He has been on the field for 76 percent of the defensive snaps in his career and doesn't figure to come off the field for the Bucs until the punter runs on the field.

BEST-LOOKING ROOKIE

Last year, the Bucs got a good offensive lineman in drafting right guard Davin Joseph in the first round. Now, rookie second-rounder Aaron Sears already has worked his way into the lineup at left guard, giving Tampa Bay one of the NFL's best young tandems.

Sears shows great balance and technique, practices like a veteran and is a mauler in the running game. He will help ensure the success of the Bucs' interior power running game and be a cornerstone for the next decade.

FREE-AGENT FOCUS

Garcia has been re-born. This is his team, so there won't be any depth chart climbing or looking over his shoulder. Gruden can't stop talking about all the possibilities in the passing game -- shotgun, spread formations and such.

POSITION BATTLES

Ryan Nece had been the starting strongside linebacker for two seasons before free agent Cato June was signed in the offseason. Now, Nece is battling Barrett Ruud for the starting spot at middle linebacker. Ruud is listed ahead of Nece on the depth chart, but a knee injury has Ruud missing some practice time and giving Nece more opportunities to impress the coaches. Nece, a six-year vet, seems confident, and we project that he'll eventually be named the starter between June and weakside linebacker Derrick Brooks.

BOTTOM LINE

The Bucs were 0-6 against NFC South rivals last season, but the '07 offense will be much, much more productive. The defense is aging but solid, and if the offense can average 20 points per game -- a reasonable goal -- the Bucs could win eight or nine games.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 12, 2007, 03:48:07 PM

BOTTOM LINE

The Bucs were 0-6 against NFC South rivals last season, but the '07 offense will be much, much more productive. The defense is aging but solid, and if the offense can average 20 points per game -- a reasonable goal -- the Bucs could win eight or nine games.

That is about right.....IF everything goes our way we COULD win eight or nine games.

superbuc

Practice Squad
#2 : August 12, 2007, 03:55:32 PM

What do you think about Gru not being on the hotseat?  I'm personally not sure and wondering why the writer has this opinion.

#3 : August 12, 2007, 04:03:33 PM

What do you think about Gru not being on the hotseat? I'm personally not sure and wondering why the writer has this opinion.

One man's opinion.

If he isn't on the hotseat, he should be!!!

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#4 : August 12, 2007, 04:13:00 PM

His thoughts on Adams are downright scary.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 12, 2007, 04:25:01 PM

I can not find anything in that article that I agree with. ???

#6 : August 12, 2007, 04:25:16 PM

His thoughts on Adams are downright scary.

Thats exactly what i saw friday nite.... the Gaines lovers seem to see something different. Time will tell.

#7 : August 12, 2007, 04:26:15 PM

Great article

Gruden shouldnt be on the hot seat until he has a chance to fail with a series of full drafts (hes finally had them the past 3 years) and a chance to sign real FAs (hasnt happened yet). You can call me a Gruden homer if you want, but am I a homer for not running a guy out of town when he hasnt had a legit chance yet? I dont think so.

Im loving what I hear about Sears. I wish we had a real center. If Nece is the starting MLB I will be very dissapointed and very worried. A LB trio of Brooks, Nece and June would get slaughtered in teh run game. Gaines Adams will prove himself on the football field, in real games, when football players prove themself

very solid article

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 12, 2007, 04:29:48 PM

Thats exactly what i saw friday nite.... the Gaines lovers seem to see something different. Time will tell

Well according to MJS Light is a second stringer and Brady is a 3rd stringer.   I guess I saw something different on Friday night as well. 8)

superbuc

Practice Squad
#9 : August 12, 2007, 04:33:04 PM

Checked the fishwrap blogs and saw this:

Gaines shows some athleticism

Defensive end Gaines Adams made a play that was easily one of the day's highlights when he tipped a Chris Simms pass then gathered himself with the ball in midair to make the interception.

He's showing some nice awareness, like he did in knocking down Tom Brady's pass attempt on Friday.

August 12, 2007 |

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#10 : August 12, 2007, 04:39:17 PM

Winborn was all over the filed yeaterday. Is the future LB core:

Winborn-Ruud-June
Hayward-Nece-Black

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

gone

Hall of Famer
#11 : August 12, 2007, 04:35:06 PM

no way does Nece beat Ruud.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 12, 2007, 04:54:49 PM

Defensive end Gaines Adams made a play that was easily one of the day's highlights when he tipped a Chris Simms pass then gathered himself with the ball in midair to make the interception.

He's showing some nice awareness, like he did in knocking down Tom Brady's pass attempt on Friday.

August 12, 2007 |

Why are we still wasting time with Simms on the practice field?

T.I. McCrown: King of the South

Starter
#13 : August 12, 2007, 05:06:39 PM

August 12, 2007 |
I love Gaines, I think he was a good pick and could prove to be a top end in the future, but really, who hasn't tipped a pass by Chris Simms? :)

#14 : August 12, 2007, 05:12:55 PM

doesn't everyone tip Simms' passes?
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sporting News Article - interesting nuggets of info... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools