Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why are so many people around here fans since '96? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#30 : November 06, 2006, 01:11:16 PM

I've only been a fan since '96, and I'm far far far from a bandwagon fan. In '96 I was only 12/13 years old and was just getting into football. Some of us didn't have the luxury of being born in Tampa before 1976. Being a true fan has nothing to do with when you started watching a team.

I always felt like the only Buc fan in the state of VA.

I know how you feel. Bucs fans are few and far between up here in VA. Must be nice down in Tampa.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

gharen

Pro Bowler

#31 : November 06, 2006, 01:22:30 PM

It was a lot of fun being a Buc fan in Pittsburgh in the late 70's! NOT! My dad lived in Sarasota and I lived with my mom in Pittsburgh. Seriously, I always liked the Bucs uniforms and I loved Hugh Green from his days at Pitt.  One year, when I was like 5 or 6, we were visiting my dad in the summer and my older brother took me to the old motel that the Bucs used to stay in for training camp, I can't remember the name, but while we were there we met Doug Williams and he put me on his shoulders and threw the ball to me, it was great. Then we walked some more and came past this one room that had it's door open and there lying on the bed was Fat's Holmes, who was known in Pittsburgh for being MEAN! When I realized it was him I took off! But that was the day I became a Buc fan for life!

#32 : November 06, 2006, 02:25:19 PM

I've only been a fan since '96, and I'm far far far from a bandwagon fan. In '96 I was only 12/13 years old and was just getting into football. Some of us didn't have the luxury of being born in Tampa before 1976. Being a true fan has nothing to do with when you started watching a team.

Agreed

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#33 : November 06, 2006, 03:05:09 PM

Tampa had a football prior to 1999  ??? well bugger me, I’m shocked.  :o

Scurvy

Practice Squad

#34 : November 06, 2006, 04:11:22 PM

Glory Days Grill - Richmond, Va...............every week.   *Bucfanskiz in the Alstott jersey w/our bartender.

#35 : November 06, 2006, 04:16:48 PM

Actually, I became a fan when my mom moved here...in 1996...

I'm sorry.  ;)

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#36 : November 06, 2006, 04:22:37 PM

This is no condemnation on anyone, but you can tell who's been here and for how long just by the quality of the posts.  At least I can.  I won't go into specifics, but the longer your tenure, seems like the more patience you have.  There are exceptions for sure but that seems to be the theme as I see it around here...

yup, good observation...

the "new" fans want Gruden fired, they don't know what it was like in the old days, they want to win now...

good one Chev.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#37 : November 06, 2006, 04:28:28 PM

I became a fan in 1977...

I was in 7th grade, surrounded by packer and viking fans.  I wanted to be different, and when my mom asked me what jersey I wanted from the sears catalog, I pointed to the white bucs jersey with orange numbers.  I thought it looked cool, and I wanted to be different from everyone else.  (I must be one of the few who actually LOVED those old uniforms...)

They finally won a game, and 2 years later went to the NFC championship game, and that is when it was cemented for me...

Been die-hard in the heart of cheesehead-land every since.  Went through my share of being razzed, teased and basically tormented the entire time until they finally peaked with a superbowl victory!

I got a lot of calls the following week congratulating me on my "fandom" from people I hadn't seen or heard from in years, because EVERYONE knew I was a buc fan.  It is like my signature, I am and will always be known for being a BUC fan in packerland...

#38 : November 06, 2006, 04:31:26 PM

I was in 7th grade, surrounded by packer and viking fans. I wanted to be different, and when my mom asked me what jersey I wanted from the sears catalog, I pointed to the white bucs jersey with orange numbers. I thought it looked cool, and I wanted to be different from everyone else. (I must be one of the few who actually LOVED those old uniforms...)

They finally won a game, and 2 years later went to the NFC championship game, and that is when it was cemented for me...

Been die-hard in the heart of cheesehead-land every since. Went through my share of being razzed, teased and basically tormented the entire time until they finally peaked with a superbowl victory!

I got a lot of calls the following week congratulating me on my "fandom" from people I hadn't seen or heard from in years, because EVERYONE knew I was a buc fan. It is like my signature, I am and will always be known for being a BUC fan in packerland...
actually I like the creamsicle, and I find the white jersey / white pants to be a pretty nice combo, I've had thoughts of buying a throwback like that just haven't really decided on a player yet.

#39 : November 06, 2006, 04:33:48 PM

Fan since the 70's and was at that Bucs vs Eagles playoff matchup with my
older brother, the one that sent us to the NFC Championship game that year.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#40 : November 06, 2006, 05:12:31 PM

Who cares how long youve been a fan for...?

Im sick of hearing how important the fans who have been around since the beginning are.
A-fricken-men to that. 

If you are a pure Bucs fan you would not even mention how long you have been a fan. As soon as you bring it up as a badge of honor you show that you are more concerned with how other people see you as a fan rather than just being a fan.  So you really aren't a fan at all as much as you are a poser.  As soon as you start talking about how hard core you are you just lost your dignity and class as a Bucs fan. You are just for show. 

Put it on your resume if you want.  Don't put it on this board.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#41 : November 06, 2006, 05:24:18 PM

Ronde.  Don't care.

Chirpy.  Don't care.

8Ball.  Don't care.

Jason.  Don't care.

Matthew.  Don't care.

Jack.  Don't care.

Rusty. Don't care.

4Life.  Don't care.

Guru.  Don't care.

Prefer.  Don't care.

Original.  Don't care.

H-D-E.  Don't care.

gharen.  Don't care.

Turbo.  Don't care.

Every one of you just took yourself down a couple notches in the eyes of real fans who know what being a fan is all about. 

Dalbuc, hood, Alstott.  Right on.

miamicanes04

Hall of Famer

#42 : November 06, 2006, 07:22:26 PM

Well atleast these people havent jumped off so why does it matter?

nickerson56

Starter
#43 : November 07, 2006, 03:25:27 AM

I take it back to the days of James Wilder.  First Bucs game I saw, he trashed the Vikes.  I liked the jerseys and at 7 or 8 years of age, thats really all you need to like a team.  As for the newer fans...maybe a lot of people on the board are young and didnt follow football until then.  As for the rest, bandwagoneers.

nickerson56

Starter
#44 : November 07, 2006, 03:37:03 AM

I was in 7th grade, surrounded by packer and viking fans. I wanted to be different, and when my mom asked me what jersey I wanted from the sears catalog, I pointed to the white bucs jersey with orange numbers. I thought it looked cool, and I wanted to be different from everyone else. (I must be one of the few who actually LOVED those old uniforms...)

Been die-hard in the heart of cheesehead-land every since. Went through my share of being razzed, teased and basically tormented the entire time until they finally peaked with a superbowl victory!

I got a lot of calls the following week congratulating me on my "fandom" from people I hadn't seen or heard from in years, because EVERYONE knew I was a buc fan. It is like my signature, I am and will always be known for being a BUC fan in packerland...

Damn I just read your post...pretty much my story except I am from Minneapolis and took flap from Vikings fans. 
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why are so many people around here fans since '96? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools