Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Vick/Attorneys Given Ultimatum « previous next »
Page: 1 2

: August 14, 2007, 09:01:11 AM

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - The two remaining co-defendants in Michael Vick's federal dogfighting case on Monday scheduled hearings to enter plea agreements.

Will Vick be next to cut a deal?
Purnell Peace, 35, of Virginia Beach, is set to appear in federal court in Richmond on Thursday and Quanis Phillips, 28, of Atlanta, on Friday.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch reported early Tuesday that Vick's lawyers have been given a Friday deadline to plead guilty or the U.S. attorney's office will file additonal charges in a superseding indictment.

"We're surprised about the plea-agreement hearings. This won't affect the forward movement of the case," said Collins R. Spencer III, who heads a PR firm working with Vick's defense team

Also in the report, Spencer said the defense currently will not plead guilty to any charges. Vick has denied any involvement in dogfighting since the investigation began.

Last month, another original co-defendant, Tony Taylor, pleaded guilty to his role in a dogfighting conspiracy he says was financed almost entirely by the Atlanta Falcons quarterback.

Taylor, 34, of Hampton, agreed to fully cooperate with the government in its prosecution of Vick, Peace and Phillips, who are accused of running an interstate dogfighting enterprise known as "Bad Newz Kennels" on Vick's property in rural Surry County.

Attorneys for Peace and Phillips did not immediately return phone messages seeking comment.

Poor Michael...is he ever in deep doo.

T

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 14, 2007, 09:05:05 AM

This doesn't even need to be thinking about football, he needs to get his life straight before he does anything else. So glad he is not a Buc.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#2 : August 14, 2007, 09:07:00 AM

The funny thing about all of this is that he is too stupid to just plead guilty. He has some excellent attorneys, though. I was reading a legal newspaper the other day that had who he selected to be his attorneys and I can tell you; they are the cream of the crop. Still, they can only do so much and when your client digs you a deep enough hole you can't just climb out.

#3 : August 14, 2007, 09:09:10 AM

Agree T....it is sad if you think about it.  I know there are a lot of anti-Vick fans out there, which is to be expected since he plays for the "enemy".

But as for the person himself, Vick had the entire sports world at his fingertips, the chance to make more money doing NON-football stuff than the game itself, and it seems he has pissed it right down the toilet.  I have heard of folks making poor decisions in their lives before, but Vick has taken it to a whole new level.

#4 : August 14, 2007, 09:10:33 AM

Option

The thing is, is that this is the Feds Vick is up against.  This isn't any Marcia Clark/Chris Darden deal.

There will be no theatrics in THIS courtroom.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 14, 2007, 09:16:41 AM

I think the Feds know they have a very strong case now, and I doubt he will be able to plea the sentence down much.  The charges that is currently faces carry a six year sentence, I would be surprised if they are offering less than 2-3 years jail time.  If Vick says no they will up the charges and go for stacking in court, and then he faces up to 20-years in jail.

Vick is screwed   ;D

Groovatron

Pro Bowler

#6 : August 14, 2007, 10:51:08 AM

From the AJC this a.m.--http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/08/14/vick_0815.html

Vick attorneys reportedly negotiating plea
Falcons QB would serve prison time if agreement reached

Some highlights from the article:

Michael Vick's attorneys are engaged in plea negotiations with federal prosecutors and the Falcons quarterback could reach an agreement before new federal dogfighting charges are handed down next week, according to a person with knowledge of the negotiations.

Collins Spencer, a spokesman for Vick's lawyers, declined to comment Tuesday on any possible negotiations.

He added that Vick did not meet with his attorneys last night but said they will have a conference call with Vick this morning and may have an announcement this afternoon. Spencer did not indicate what the announcement would be.

If the announcement is that Vick has reached a plea agreement, the embattled star quarterback is expected to be sentenced to some time in prison, according to federal sentencing guidelines.

Vick's motivation to enter a guilty plea is likely fueled by the U.S. Attorney's Office announcement last month that it will seek a new "superceding" indictment against Vick by the end of August. With the cooperation of Vick's three co-defendants, there will likely be new, and more specific, allegations against Vick. The federal grand jury in Richmond is expected to hand up that indictment sometime early next week.

If Vick can reach an agreement by the end of this week, he would not have to answer to any additional charges

Falcons owner Arthur Blank and president and general manager Rich McKay have said they had enough information to lead them to draw up papers to suspend Vick for four games — the maximum a team can suspend a player for disciplinary reasons. The league could suspend Vick for a year.

Blank and McKay also said there were discussions about cutting Vick.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#7 : August 14, 2007, 12:08:48 PM

If fick pleads guilty, I believe he will be suspended for at least a year and possibly forever. It's not like he got a DUI or had a gun charge...the guy allegedly allowed animals to be brutally tortured and killed. This has to be worse that what Pac Man did or some of the other guys who were out for a whole year. If Vick does time, he's going to at least get a couple years in prison I'd think. So not only would he miss that time, he'd then have to serve his NFL suspension which I think would at least be a year. If he does plea, I think it's the last you will see of Vick in an NFL uniform.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

BucfaninDC

Starter

#8 : August 14, 2007, 01:03:46 PM

If the Feds are accepting a plea from Vick, what do they get out of it?  I mean, the others plea, because they get less sentences, in exchange for testimony against Vick.  If Vick pleas, it is in exchange for what?

Does anyone else think Vick is smart enough to be THE man in charge of racketeering, which one of the new charges is implying?  There must be someone else the Feds want if they accept a plea from Vick.  And if that's the case, I would suspect it isn't the type of people you would want to snitch on.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 14, 2007, 01:13:09 PM

If the Feds are accepting a plea from Vick, what do they get out of it? I mean, the others plea, because they get less sentences, in exchange for testimony against Vick. If Vick pleas, it is in exchange for what?

Does anyone else think Vick is smart enough to be THE man in charge of racketeering, which one of the new charges is implying? There must be someone else the Feds want if they accept a plea from Vick. And if that's the case, I would suspect it isn't the type of people you would want to snitch on.

Vick is Mr.Big in his little ring but they organized dog fights across the south east with other rings.  I am sure he can give some of the other people up in exchange for a lenient sentence.  Plus there is always a chance that Vick gets off if he takes it to a trial by Jury.  better for the Feds if they can wrap this up without risk and maybe get a little more info from Vick.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#10 : August 14, 2007, 01:20:23 PM

If fick pleads guilty, I believe he will be suspended for at least a year and possibly forever. It's not like he got a DUI or had a gun charge...the guy allegedly allowed animals to be brutally tortured and killed. This has to be worse that what Pac Man did or some of the other guys who were out for a whole year.
Pacman got a guy paralyzed. Vick's actions are abhorrent and he should be out of the league forever in my opinion, but I think Pacman should too.His attitude about the whole thing annoys me as well.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#11 : August 14, 2007, 01:40:30 PM

We have the best justice system money can buy. Vick has the money to buy it. What he doesn't have is the ability to make his public image acceptable to football fans who love dogs. This is not the WWF or WWE or whatever they call theatrical wrestling these days.
He'll buy his way out of any serious jailtime but his career in the NFL is over. No franchise wants to be associated with a lowlife scumbag who kills dogs for entertainment.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 14, 2007, 02:14:26 PM

We have the best justice system money can buy. Vick has the money to buy it. What he doesn't have is the ability to make his public image acceptable to football fans who love dogs. This is not the WWF or WWE or whatever they call theatrical wrestling these days.
He'll buy his way out of any serious jailtime but his career in the NFL is over. No franchise wants to be associated with a lowlife scumbag who kills dogs for entertainment.
He can buy his way out of stuff like the Ron Mexico thing, but the Feds are a different story. If they can take down Martha Stewart, they can and will take down Vick.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

NativeOfTheBay

Second String

#13 : August 14, 2007, 02:36:38 PM

If the Feds are accepting a plea from Vick, what do they get out of it? I mean, the others plea, because they get less sentences, in exchange for testimony against Vick. If Vick pleas, it is in exchange for what?

Does anyone else think Vick is smart enough to be THE man in charge of racketeering, which one of the new charges is implying? There must be someone else the Feds want if they accept a plea from Vick. And if that's the case, I would suspect it isn't the type of people you would want to snitch on.

Vick is Mr.Big in his little ring but they organized dog fights across the south east with other rings. I am sure he can give some of the other people up in exchange for a lenient sentence. Plus there is always a chance that Vick gets off if he takes it to a trial by Jury. better for the Feds if they can wrap this up without risk and maybe get a little more info from Vick.
God i love that sig.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#14 : August 14, 2007, 03:00:59 PM

That's an angry jury.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Vick/Attorneys Given Ultimatum « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools