Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Open Letter to Mike Bianchi « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

LtFox

Starter

: August 16, 2007, 11:46:05 AM

I agree about Dungy. Just the fact that Mike Shula ever worked in Tampa is sad to me.

And I'm not enamored with Gruden either. But I do support him. I think he's a good coach. And if the Bucs fire him, he won't be unemployed long. I want him to succeed this year because I don't like coaching changes. And I don't see who the Bucs would bring in to be the next head coach who would succeed right away. And, I also think that if Gruden gets fired, Monte is gone too. That, in itself, is reason to root for Gruden.

I hear you. I want Gruden to succeed simply because I want the Bucs to succeed. The only coach that would peak my interest would be Bill Cowher. If he wanted to come here (probably a long shot) and IF Gruden struggled again this year then I would potentially be in support of that. Lets hope Gruden's Bucs kick a$$ so we don't even entertain those thoughts. Peace.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 16, 2007, 11:43:07 AM

Yes, the Bucs were better, but for Gruden to be able to face the system he created was a big plus for us.

Huge.  And it says a lot for Gruden's system, too.

Just wish we could what the Raiders & Gannon used to do here in Tampa.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 16, 2007, 11:40:30 AM

I, like any Buc fan, was angry with him for not hiring a top notch (or even average) Offensive Coordinator. If we had, I truly believe we would have won multiple Super Bowls and the name Dungy would have been mentioned in the same sentence with Walsh, Gibbs, Knoll, etc. Oh, what could have been!!! Anyway, I support Gruden, but I am not enamored with him like some on this board. I just miss being "feared" around the league. Remember those days when nobody wanted to play us (even with a bad offense)? Those were good days.

I agree about Dungy.  Just the fact that Mike Shula ever worked in Tampa is sad to me. 

And I'm not enamored with Gruden either.  But I do support him.  I think he's a good coach.  And if the Bucs fire him, he won't be unemployed long.  I want him to succeed this year because I don't like coaching changes.  And I don't see who the Bucs would bring in to be the next head coach who would succeed right away.  And, I also think that if Gruden gets fired, Monte is gone too.  That, in itself, is reason to root for Gruden.

LtFox

Starter

#3 : August 16, 2007, 11:28:02 AM

And I agree that the Super Bowl was a dream matchup. But its not anyone's fault Gruden got to face his former team.

Snook....I agree. Gruden shouldn't apologize for the match up. Anyone would want any advantage they could get going into a big game. I was ecstatic about playing the Raiders for that very reason (as I am sure most Buc fans were). It is no secret that I am a big Dungy fan. I loved his philosophy on personnel (good players AND solid citizens) and I admire the way he lives his life. I, like any Buc fan, was angry with him for not hiring a top notch (or even average) Offensive Coordinator. If we had, I truly believe we would have won multiple Super Bowls and the name Dungy would have been mentioned in the same sentence with Walsh, Gibbs, Knoll, etc. Oh, what could have been!!! Anyway, I support Gruden, but I am not enamored with him like some on this board. I just miss being "feared" around the league. Remember those days when nobody wanted to play us (even with a bad offense)? Those were good days.
It wasn't a dream match up. The Bucs were a lot better team. The Raiders and the AFC as a whole wasn't that good that year. The game against the Eagles was the de facto Super Bowl. Had Philly have beat Tampa, I firmly believe they would have put a hurting on Oakland, too. And regarding Coach Dungy's "philosophy" on personnel, two players under contract with the Colts have been arrested just in 2007.

Give me a break, dude. Because Dungy has had two players arrested means that his philosophy is a sham? You must have a serious axe to grind to say something that stupid. Also, it WAS a dream match up. Yes, the Bucs were better, but for Gruden to be able to face the system he created was a big plus for us.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 15, 2007, 09:43:43 AM

Like the "fact" that Gruden wanted to draft Westbrook, but McKay wouldn't allow it?  You would have to go a long way to prove that as "fact."

Yes Gruden would not want a player he saw similiarties in with a player like Charlie Garner. Gruden never coached Charlie Garner in Philly as the OC nor as the Raiders HC...and Gruden never lobbied to bring in Charlie Garner to the Bucs....the fact that Travis Stephens and Marquise Walker did not stick around long enough indicates there was a disconnect with what the coach wanted on offense.  

If Gruden did indeed have such a great eye for college talent, why didn't he draft his own Westbrook?

Here is a hint.  

Mckay was in charge of the draft when he was here and currently Allen is in charge of the draft.  To insinuate Gruden is charge of the draft is to overlook the facts.  

When McKay did, in fact, trade Walker for Jones, why didn't Gruden see that Jones was a better RB talent than anyone he had on the roster in 2003?

McKay was trying to salvage value out of Walker for Jones.  Jones was down on the depth chart becuase of his inability to pass block.  We all knew he was a superior runner than Pittman.  But Brad Johnson was taking hits.  

How come Jerry Angelo did not see that Thomas Jones was the better talent at RB? Why did he draft Cedric Benson?

Thomas Jones is a good player but by no means he is perfect.  This explains why he is on the Jets (third team in a short time span).

#5 : August 14, 2007, 11:59:35 PM

Dear Mr. Bianchi

I doubt that you will have the good professionalism to respond, but I still feel compelled to comment on your "rant" from 8/14/07 in the Sentinel.

Is it possible that Mr. Valero was unaware of Mike Alstott's injury, or at least the extent of it, when you spoke with him?

Is it possible that Keyshawn Johnson had sour grapes?  I mean, even YOU, as a media geek, surely had to know of Keyshawn's baggage that he lugged into Tampa International. 

Ditto the sour grapes from Keenan McCardell.  Was it too much to ask McCardell to play one more season to fulfill a contract that he had signed?

And then there is Simeon Rice.  If fans can see that Rice "marches to a different drummer", surely to God you, as a media geek can see it.  And what about the 11 or so games every year where Rice was non-existent?  His sacks came in bunches, then he was mysteriously "absent".  Oh yes, Rice also complained that he was "disrespected" by the Bucs.  If you call $7M a year disrespect, I wish someone would come and disrespect me in the same fashion.

Now, I am going to allow a slight pass on the Lynch situation.  Lynch was a fan favorite to be sure, but you can hardly blame the Bucs for asking him to hand over the full-time reigns to a younger, faster Jermaine Phillips.  Especially when Lynch was coming off a devastating injury.  It is not as though Bruce Allen kicked him to the curb.

And what is this continued lovefest with the Dungy/McKay regime?

Admittedly, the Buccaneers began to win football games again upon Dungy's arrival.  However, it cannot be understated, the significance of one Sam Wyche in the resurrection of the Tampa Bay franchise.  After all, it was Wyche that drafted Lynch, Sapp, and Brooks, the very cornerstones of a Buc defense that single-handedly led the team to so very many of their victories. 

I love Tony Dungy.  A better man would be difficult, if not impossible, to find on God's earth.  But for all he did for the Buc franchise, you failed to mention his stubbornness at bringing in a legitimate offensive coordinator to aid an oft-tired defense.  You neglected to mention Dungy's back-to-back playoff games that failed to produce a single touchdown due to the aforementioned stubbornness.

And what was so awesome about Rich McKay?  As a media guy, you probably enjoyed Rich spoon-feeding you information.  It made your jobs a lot easier...go in and have a chat with Rich with tape-recorders running, then run back and write it up.  Allen and Gruden are not as "open", so you actually have to go out and pound the pavement a little more.  And what is so special about McKay?  The same McKay that was so much better a man than Gruden, that he forced the drafting of a Marquise Walker over an available Brian Westbrook?  Let's see....have you witnessed a Marquise Cooper sighting in the NFL lately?  And this same McKay bolted to a division rival in mid-season, leaving his former employer in CAP hell that would last for 4 seasons after his tasteless departure.

So maybe YOU did not lie to your readers Mr. Bianchi, but you very efficiently omitted facts that would thwart your own credibility when you proclaimed McKay to be someone of "dignity" and "decorum".

Yes, Gruden and Allen have made their fair share of mistakes, but look at the mess they inherited!

I realize you do not work for Fox News Network, but asking you to be Fair and Balanced doesn't seem to be over the top in my opinion.

And if you are finding it harder and harder to cover the Bucs, why don't you move up I-75 and cover your boy Rich McKay in Atlanta?  After all, he inked Mr. Vick to a macho deal that puts the ATL behind the 8-ball for several years to come.  And he consummated the deal with a felon that will now never fulfill that deal.  Just another omission on your part.

Besides, while we don't necessarily need a "homer" covering the Buccaneers, we don't need another "agenda-driven" fishwrapper that refuses to write the whole story.

Sincerely,

Ed 

cobraboy

Second String

#6 : August 15, 2007, 12:16:29 AM

Well done, Prefer! ^5

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#7 : August 15, 2007, 12:18:09 AM

Love the constant ripping on Tony Dungy for not bringing a legitimate OC when the current HC won't do the same.

cobraboy

Second String

#8 : August 15, 2007, 12:18:46 AM

Love the constant ripping on Tony Dungy for not bringing a legitimate OC when the current HC won't do the same.
I never looked at it that way. Interesting.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

#9 : August 15, 2007, 12:29:07 AM

Corpse

I was not ripping on Dungy, just stating a fact.  Also, I had the wherewithal to state that Gruden and Allen have made mistakes.  Bianchi chose to omit the "dignity and decorum" boys' flaws to support his own agenda.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 15, 2007, 01:09:14 AM

That doesnt make any sense.   Dungy's forte was defense so he needed a good OC.   Gruden's forte is offense.   He already has a good DC in Kiffin, so I don't see the problem.   

If Gruden were to bring in an offensive coordinator, that would be ridiculous.   Regardless of recent production, in my opinion, Gruden is the best offensive coordinator in the NFL.   He's not the best head coach.   A head coach really doesn't need to do much.   Just let their coordinators do the work, deal with the press, then make a few general decisions on game day.   Gruden's value to the Bucs is running that offense.   

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#11 : August 15, 2007, 01:15:02 AM

Prefer,great post....how come the bone head signing of Vick is not mentioned or the forcing of Walker down Grudens throat when Westbrook was still on the board by the great McKay....no wonder they didn't get along ...imagine Westbrook in Grudens offense....makes me hate  ole Rich even more ...if thats possible LOL.

T

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 15, 2007, 01:34:49 AM

Why don't you email this to Bianchi, instead of posting it on a message board he probably will never visit.

JC510

Practice Squad

#13 : August 15, 2007, 01:36:17 AM

It's amazing how people blindly follow the Allen-Gruden regime when they've done nothing but go 20-28 while disrespecting Buc legends in the process. The same people that go ape **** about McKay going to the Falcons but yet turn the other way when Allen keeps getting mentioned as a leading candidate as President of the Packers.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#14 : August 15, 2007, 02:00:15 AM

JC510,Allen going to Green Bay will not happen if they show they are in the process of turning things around.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Open Letter to Mike Bianchi « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools