Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Open Letter to Mike Bianchi « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

skip

Starter

#30 : August 15, 2007, 10:13:10 AM

The original post suggest that Gruden & Allen inherited a mess. What they inherited was a great if not the number 1 ranked defense in the NFL and a bad offense that has gotten worse under Gruden despite all the investments in drafting on the offensive side of the ball to the detriment of the defense. Sure there were salary cap issues, but that was before the revised collective bargaining agreement, most evey team at that time had cap issues. Our cap issues were created so that we could keep our high priced stars together and make a superbowl run in which we did. Whether you like him or not, Rich McKay build the core of this team that brought us a superbowl and this team was built around our defense.
It's becoming obvious to me that the people on this message board that constantly defend Gruden and Allen are in the minority. You need to produce in the NFL and be somewhat consistent in doing so as a head coach. Last years team was one of the worst in franchise history and I don't feel that great about this team going into this season. I hope I am wrong and Gruden turns it around, but I think he is out of here after another bad year.

#31 : August 15, 2007, 10:16:27 AM

Actually, I think several people are involved in the draft process, but the GM makes the final decision, and does so for many reasons.

Let's face it, McKay was pissed when the Glazers stepped in and put the squash on cKay to hire Marvin Lewis.  And when the Glazers took over the search and brought in Gruden, McKay was infuriated.  Like a good soldier (sic!) Rich stuck it out through 2002.  Then he bolted up the Interstate when the draft/Keyshawn/BS came down.

#32 : August 15, 2007, 10:18:49 AM

Skip,

You are dead wrong about McKay bringing in the core.  Wyche drafted the cornerstones with Sapp, Brooks, and Lynch.  But if you read the open letter, you knew that.

Gruden brought in over 20 players in 2002.

And if you do not think the CAP and low draft picks did not inhibit the Bucs, you are sadly mistaken.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#33 : August 15, 2007, 10:22:21 AM

Gruden did not bring in 20 players Mckay did but Gruden was part of the lobbying process (Hooters anyone?).

And yes Wyche is credited with the drafting the core.

Both sides of the fence are presenting the facts the way they see it though.  I suppose that is why people accuse me of being a Gruden hater/Gruden lover at the same time.

If people are accusing me of being a Gruden lover and a Gruden hater on this board (is it possible to be both at the same time? :D) then I know I am doing one thing right....

I am sticking to the facts. 8)

*bows*

CoachEricTaylor

Starter

#34 : August 15, 2007, 10:26:04 AM

Clap, Clap, Clap .......well said Prefer......thank you for saying what I wanted to but couldn't!

Hip Hip Hooray....

:: CLEAR EYES, FULL HEARTS, CAN\'T LOSE ::

#35 : August 15, 2007, 10:26:44 AM

Actually, my letter to Bianchi was not to regurgitate old, boring, dead-horse beaten material, rather it was to remind him that the "old regime" was not without faults.  Faults which Bianchi conveniently omitted in his column.

That was the purpose of the letter....hell, I can make MANY people sound good if I don't say anything about their flaws!  Duhh!

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#36 : August 15, 2007, 10:28:53 AM

Gruden did not bring in 20 players Mckay did but Gruden was part of the lobbying process (Hooters anyone?).

And yes Wyche is credited with the drafting the core.

Both sides of the fence are presenting the facts the way they see it though.  I suppose that is why people accuse me of being a Gruden hater/Gruden lover at the same time.

If people are accusing me of being a Gruden lover and a Gruden hater on this board (is it possible to be both at the same time? :D) then I know I am doing one thing right....

I am sticking to the facts. 8)

*bows*
Sticking to the facts? Like when you saw Anthony Davis play Guard in college?

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#37 : August 15, 2007, 10:30:16 AM

Nice job, Prefer.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

#38 : August 15, 2007, 10:32:26 AM

ADW

McKay likely DID play a hand in bringing in the players in 2002, but to hear Bianchi talk, Gruden did nothing in that process.  That alone serves the point of my entire letter.  I am certain there was collaboration on many fronts, but Bianchi will swear to his grave that it was ALL McKay.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#39 : August 15, 2007, 10:33:45 AM

The original post suggest that Gruden & Allen inherited a mess. What they inherited was a great if not the number 1 ranked defense in the NFL and a bad offense that has gotten worse under Gruden despite all the investments in drafting on the offensive side of the ball to the detriment of the defense. Sure there were salary cap issues, but that was before the revised collective bargaining agreement, most evey team at that time had cap issues. Our cap issues were created so that we could keep our high priced stars together and make a superbowl run in which we did. Whether you like him or not, Rich McKay build the core of this team that brought us a superbowl and this team was built around our defense.
It's becoming obvious to me that the people on this message board that constantly defend Gruden and Allen are in the minority. You need to produce in the NFL and be somewhat consistent in doing so as a head coach. Last years team was one of the worst in franchise history and I don't feel that great about this team going into this season. I hope I am wrong and Gruden turns it around, but I think he is out of here after another bad year.

You are wrong...about a lot of things. I'm not sure how happy you will be about it, but this is going to be a good season for the Bucs. Gruden and Allen are the best we have ever had at their respective positions. The ME ME ME NOW NOW NOW generation doesn't want to give them time to prove it.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#40 : August 15, 2007, 10:36:50 AM

Sticking to the facts? Like when you saw Anthony Davis play Guard in college?

He did play in limited time.  It is not my fault you do not watch VT football.  8)  AD clearly did not magically learn to play guard at the NFL level all of sudden did he?  Especially with the wizardry that is known of Muir and his teaching methods of "Move your ass!"

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#41 : August 15, 2007, 11:15:47 AM

ADW

McKay likely DID play a hand in bringing in the players in 2002, but to hear Bianchi talk, Gruden did nothing in that process.  That alone serves the point of my entire letter.  I am certain there was collaboration on many fronts, but Bianchi will swear to his grave that it was ALL McKay.

I think the fact that the Bucs seemed to shift focus during that off season would indicate that "someone" else was pushing the Bucs in another direction. My assumption it was Gruden talking to McKay who agreed it would be a better plan.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#42 : August 15, 2007, 11:18:41 AM

I do not necessarily agree with that.  Yes Gruden lobbied hard for many of those free agents to be brought in and Mckay signed them.

But Mckay started to lean heavily towards free agency before Gruden arrived to Tampa.  Some attribute that change in Mckay's philsophy becuase of how the drafts turned out being not so stellar so he went to the free agent pool instead of focusing on the draft pool like he did earlier in his career in Tampa.

#43 : August 15, 2007, 11:27:27 AM

And those drafts that may have been "not so stellar" were McKay's drafts.  So Rich had no one to blame but himself. 

skip

Starter

#44 : August 15, 2007, 11:33:29 AM

Sparky.
Give Gruden time to prove it? How much time would you like to give him? As I see it the team is worse off now then when he arrived, thats not progress in my opinion. I hope you are right and I am wrong about this year. I am a fan and have been since 1976, but I am not optomistic that we are heading to the playoffs this year. This years team should be better then last year, thats because last years team was dreadful.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Open Letter to Mike Bianchi « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools