Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the Bucs stop guys on the ground this year? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
: August 15, 2007, 01:36:00 AM

Brooks is older.  Clearly not the same.  Ruud isn't a surefire anyting at MLB, and June is smallish, and has never been confused for a run stopper.

The D-line is pretty much a mish-mash of guys who have things to prove.  Hovan isn't a sack artist, but is clearly the most stable guy versus that run that is coming.  Gaines is a rook.  Carter is solid, but where does he line up?  Spires is good, but he isn't dominating either...

The Bucs gave up over 170 yards a game last year.  On the ground.  That is piss poor.

If there is anything that is going to hinder them, it is their inability to squash running plays 9 feet or less from when the QB handed the ball to them...

That is what I am worried about the most. :-

JC510

Practice Squad

#1 : August 15, 2007, 01:43:51 AM

It was 120, not 170. And the run defense only gave up 3.9 ypc, which was 7th best in the league. The ypc against is even more impressive when you factor in 2 of the games were against Michael Vick. But the YPC against is sure to go up with June in the 4-3 instead of my main man Nece.

LA BUC

Starter

#2 : August 15, 2007, 02:34:00 AM

I like Nece in the middle I think he'll be better there. Could they move June to SS with Sabby at free and Hayward at strong, Peterson at LDE ? This just seems to me a better all around Defense.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 15, 2007, 02:39:26 AM

Brooks, Ruud, June this year at linebacker.   I think our DL will be more stout against the run with Carter in there.   

Next year, June, Ruud and Winborn at the linebacker slots.   I don't know what some see in Nece.   I see him as a backup.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#4 : August 15, 2007, 03:31:48 AM

Carter is solid? Carter came from playing the 3-4, so him at UT(likely) or LDE is an immediate upgrade. Carter may even be better than Hovan. A line of Chuk-Hovan-Carter-Spires should stop the run fine. Depending on the rotational guys, the pass rush still seems to be the bigger issue.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#5 : August 15, 2007, 06:24:38 AM

Sweet sig JavaBuc!

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 15, 2007, 07:24:01 AM

IF Carter, Spires, and Hovan can stay healthy the Bucs run defense will be okay.  Especially if Sims shows he can be part of a rotation.

The LB's will need to come in to fill the gaps to make tackles or else it will be a loooooooong year.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 15, 2007, 08:43:41 AM

Needless to say it would be great to get 25 plays out of Sims but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'd expect the run defense to be around #12. Not elite but the scheme and coaching is good enough to be respectable.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 15, 2007, 09:03:17 AM

Easy answer is IT DEPENDS. 

Will the O stay on the field for more than three-and -outs most of the game?  Will Sims step up and start at DT?

If both of those two things happen they should be OK against the run.  If our D is on the field 60+ percent of the time they will get pounded and struggle.  I don't think June is very good against the run, and DB is slowing down, so the LB core will be vulnerable. 

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 15, 2007, 09:09:58 AM

If there is anything that is going to hinder them, it is their inability to squash running plays 9 feet or less from when the QB handed the ball to them...

The run defense wasn't the problem last year, it was 3rd down defense. That HAS to be improved.

whobdis

Pro Bowler

#10 : August 15, 2007, 09:29:59 AM

I'm a little concerned about the run D as well..especially up the middle. As mentioned 3rd down D was
bad last year but much of that was due to so many 3rd and short situations. Seattle..Baltimore..others
were able to punch out long drives running the ball. We are still light up front..lighter than we were to
start the season last year.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 15, 2007, 09:34:04 AM

The Bucs are lighter?  I suppose that depends on who is the field.

If Spires - Hovan - Sims - Carter are on the field obviously not.   Then there is the ultra light combo of Gaines - Wyms - Haye - Chuk.

And of course (most likely) the starting four, Spires - Hovan - Carter - Chuk which features three stout run defenders with Chuk being the only question mark?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#12 : August 15, 2007, 09:40:31 AM

I like Nece in the middle I think he'll be better there. Could they move June to SS with Sabby at free and Hayward at strong, Peterson at LDE ? This just seems to me a better all around Defense.
IF Nece gets the start in the middle, then I think we have to say that Ruud is a small failure as a very high second round pick...not being able to beat out 35 year old concussion cases (although Q played smart), and now not being able to beat out a average Nece in the middle, means I am resigned to Ruud being a backup for his career.  Thjere always seems to be someone in front of him.  But I suspect Q gets the starting nod, and Nece gets used in certain packages...

The run defense wasn't the problem last year, it was 3rd down defense. That HAS to be improved.
I agree completely.  And during the pre-game last week, I noticed the BUcs gave up big chunks on third down.  Going to drive me nuts to watch them on third down get sliced up...if it happens.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#13 : August 15, 2007, 10:54:36 AM

Sims is looking like backup material at best right now

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#14 : August 15, 2007, 11:06:27 AM

Boid,

Excuse me what big chunks?

Their longest run was 12 yards and that was by their QB They had 1 other run over 10 yards.

They converted only 3 third downs. They had a total of 70 yards rushing-17 by their QB's.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the Bucs stop guys on the ground this year? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools