Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the Bucs stop guys on the ground this year? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

whobdis

Pro Bowler

« #15 : August 15, 2007, 11:08:06 AM »

The Bucs are lighter? I suppose that depends on who is the field.
And of course (most likely) the starting four, Spires - Hovan - Carter - Chuk which features three stout run defenders with Chuk being the only question mark?

As of now the starters are Spires, Hovan, Hay and Chuk.  Spires/Hovan started the season last year. Hay
replaces Booger (285 to 300) and Chuk replaces Rice (250 to 268)..about 15 lbs lighter at each position.
Of course the lineup could change..and weight in itself is not the determining factor in stopping the run.
But..I'm fairly certain we will start a smaller front line than we started with last year. Here's hoping depth
has been helped with Carter/Sims..and I would be pretty happy if the managed to pick up Warren.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #16 : August 15, 2007, 01:41:26 PM »

Boid,

Excuse me what big chunks?

Their longest run was 12 yards and that was by their QB They had 1 other run over 10 yards.

They converted only 3 third downs. They had a total of 70 yards rushing-17 by their QB's.

First teamers on the second, or third drive.

When it is third and long, it just seems the BUcs defense sags waaay to much in an effort to play the pass.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

« #17 : August 15, 2007, 02:25:09 PM »

I think our issues with run stopping in the past was because we USED to get pressure with our front 4, we don't have any DT's as good as Sapp and we don't have an DE's as good as Rice, so we will have to start using LB's and/or a Safety close to the line unless we want to let the QB's sit back and pick us off.
6 average NFL LB's & D-Linemen can stop the run better than 2 All Pro D-linemen and 2 average D-lineman. Even when they would double Sapp they still had 3 OL and maybe a TE to block the other 3 so stopping the run was more difficult.
The "Tampa 2"  won't work, or as it will be known from here on out the "Chicago 2"

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #18 : August 15, 2007, 03:08:35 PM »

Best way to stop the run is to get an early lead.

Last year teams ran on us a lot more because they were protecting big leads. And with all the 3 and outs, the D was just gassed by the 3rd Q.

Brooks's age would have a bigger impact on his coverage skills than his run stopping. Coverage requires more speed and agility than pluggin holes and hitting hard. So Brooks' age is a moot point imo.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #19 : August 15, 2007, 03:17:59 PM »

True, but with the offensive inconsistency we have seen so far I'm not sure that's a reasonable expectation

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #20 : August 15, 2007, 06:37:36 PM »

True, but with the offensive inconsistency we have seen so far I'm not sure that's a reasonable expectation

Run well = ball control = rested defense = stop the run = alot of things fall into place...

I know preseason means nothing, but the run blocking execution last week was real. IF that continues to improve each week, the defense should get alot more rest by virtue of ball control, then stopping the run won't be as devastating in the latter stages of a game. We've never been a big defense anyway and there's no reason to believe Monte's basic gap philosphy is going to change.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #21 : August 15, 2007, 08:40:20 PM »

I think we'll be fine stoping the run this year ... its getting a pass rush that concerns me.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

« #22 : August 15, 2007, 08:55:01 PM »

Im worried about the run defense too this year. The d-line is going to be a weak point for us i think. I think our secondary will be better but that doesnt help when you cant get pressure on the QB. As for the LB I think they will be fine as long as they get on their gaps quick. June I think will be a great player for us this year. He is my players to watch for the probowl this year. I hope i am right.

blitz

Pro Bowler
« #23 : August 15, 2007, 09:06:59 PM »

Carter is better both against the run and bringing pressure on the passer than Spires.  He's already accepted as a team leader on D.   Haye is quicker and stronger than Booger, White or Wyms.  Adams/Chuck are an improvement over an injured and underproducing Rice.   So yes this Dline will be better against the run.

The LB's are the big questionable.  Brooks, Ruud and June have their pluses and minuses.   Honesty, if Ruud comes on strong, then the D is definately better.  The secondary is looking like a bunch of hitters already in the early preseason.

barberandbrooks

Practice Squad

« #24 : August 15, 2007, 11:49:46 PM »

Last year i thought our run defense was one on the best in the league in the 2nd half of the season. I think we let up like 70 yards a game and 3.5 yards a carry. It was just the beginning of the season when we weren't tackling and the falcons had over 300 yards rushing against us

We also looked pretty good against the run on friday against there first team

« #25 : August 16, 2007, 12:35:35 AM »

We also looked pretty good against the run on friday against there first team

Friday nite was not a true test with Maroney not playing. This weekend should shed a lil lite as to the state of our run defense.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #26 : August 16, 2007, 11:22:52 AM »

Friday nite was not a true test with Maroney not playing. This weekend should shed a lil lite as to the state of our run defense.

I agree.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the Bucs stop guys on the ground this year? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools