Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL makes change to help defenses with no-huddle offenses « previous next »
Page: 1 2

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 07, 2006, 10:54:12 AM

No one's arguing that.  But a harder time than Ryan Nece?

Considering that Zemaitis and Bolden are 4.6 guys Nece is a lot faster than you think even with his knee injuries.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#16 : October 07, 2006, 12:00:51 PM

Considering that Zemaitis and Bolden are 4.6 guys Nece is a lot faster than you think even with his knee injuries.

Since when is coverage all about speed?  If that were the case, Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly wouldn't even be in the league! 

And Zemaitis ran a 4.53 before the draft.

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#17 : October 07, 2006, 11:02:09 PM

Why don't they address a rule that says"If a penalty is called during a touchdown the touchdown is automatically reviewed to make sure that is was infact a true infraction of the rules. This would stop the acting going on also.....OBD

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 07, 2006, 11:22:51 PM

Since when is coverage all about speed?  If that were the case, Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly wouldn't even be in the league! 

And Zemaitis ran a 4.53 before the draft.

Barber is a 4.5 guy I believe and Kelly is a 4.4 guy.  Do not believe in the garbage some spew that Tampa's corners are slow beucase they play zone. Nece was a 4.4 guy before his knee injuries. Brooks is very good in coverage even though he is a 4.6 guy.

If you ask me I rather see Nece covering Bush then Zemaitis or Bolden downfield.  But in the first 20 yards speed is NOT that important in covering a back as Ruud and Brooks are evidence of this as both do not have the straightline speed but the burst within the first 20 yards.  Where straightline speed helps is downfield. This is why Kelly is a better man to man corner than Barber downfield.  And that is why I feel Nece would fare better covering downfield than Bolden.  Bolden is money within the first 20 yards but beyond that he is a liability.

ohwhyknott

Practice Squad

#19 : October 08, 2006, 12:32:14 AM

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9709450

interesting...I guess the NFL is actually trying to help out defenses for once. Not sure how much I like this rule change though....

It seems like every year they change the rules that targets my Bengals. Last year, it was "The Chad Rule" because they are the NFL---(No Fun League)---Now they kill the No Huddle? Cincinnatti runs the No Huddle most of the time, so teams can't make situation changes. It does help teams with huge DT's that rotate out on 3rd down plays--(passing situations) That is their biggest advantage in the AFC North. Every one of them have been crying about it, for 2 years now. (Pittsburgh-Cleveland-& Baltimore) They let Buffalo go to 4 straight Super Bowls with it, after Sam Wyche started it, & beat them with it. So they started using it, & called it their invention. You folks remember Sam Wyche. Some of you are probably still throwing darts at his picture. Oh well---I wonder what's next?

BloodnBucs

Practice Squad

#20 : October 08, 2006, 10:48:31 AM

and one more thing.....more commercials [banghead] [banghead]

Exactly. The NFL just wants more time to advertise to the world.

Rhans405

Practice Squad

#21 : October 08, 2006, 04:49:30 PM

They let Buffalo go to 4 straight Super Bowls with it, after Sam Wyche started it, & beat them with it. So they started using it, & called it their invention. You folks remember Sam Wyche. Some of you are probably still throwing darts at his picture. Oh well---I wonder what's next?

Yeah.  I thought they addressed this in the past.  I recall the Bengals with Boomer Esiason calling the play at the line and subbing during the play calling.  If the defense tried to react, they'd snap the ball.  This is nothing new but they passed a rule back then that defenses should have the opportunity to sub if the offense subs. 
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL makes change to help defenses with no-huddle offenses « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools