Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ~~New NFL Rules, not being properly called~~ « previous next »
Page: 1

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

: August 20, 2007, 10:16:58 AM

I was watching the Minnesota @ New York Jets game on Fox Thursday night and saw one of the new rules implemented in the worst freagin' way.

The league doesn't want players spiking the ball on the field like they do in the end zone any longer. To which I agree but after seeing the call made at the goal line against I wanna say the Vikes, I'm not so sure the refs have a clear judgement on what is and isn't "spiking".

Vikes reciever catches ball, makes a few guys miss, gaines 6-7 yards but just fails to get into the endzone while going down at the 1. As he was laying on his chest he threw the ball down to the ground out of spite for not making the TD after such a great effort. The ball bounced maybe a foot and a half into the air then rolled two feet. Which inclined the refs to call a spiking call agianst him resulting in a "Delay of Game" five yard penalty.

Even Joe Buck and Troy Aikman were perplexed with the call and said it was not the way the rules should be implimented nor intended.

I was pissed at the call because instead of a 1st and Goal at the one the Vikes were moved back to the 6 yard line. The Vikings still scored a TD I believe but if they haven't it would've likely been because of this terrible call.

A guy who spikes the ball after a catch in celebration while not in the end-zone should be punished, but a guy recieving a penalty for throwing the ball down out of spite for himself, without the ball moving much at all, is a joke and should'nt be called as long as the ball doesn't truelly delay the game.

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#1 : August 20, 2007, 10:20:11 AM

I believe it was a Jets WR (Cotchery?) and Cedric Griffen made the tackle preventing the Jets WR from scoring six.

It was a bad call from the refs and I hope that a call like that will not be found in the regular season.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 20, 2007, 10:20:30 AM

I saw that, it was a BS call.

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 20, 2007, 10:23:13 AM

I believe it was a Jets WR (Cotchery?) and Cedric Griffen made the tackle preventing the Jets WR from scoring six.

It was a bad call from the refs and I hope that a call like that will not be found in the regular season.

Thanks for the clearup, I couldn't remember exactly which team or who it was.

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ~~New NFL Rules, not being properly called~~ « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools