Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Memo to media and players (current or former) commenting on Vick........ « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

alldaway

Hall of Famer
: August 22, 2007, 06:27:09 PM

PETA is not forgiving.

wolfet

Pro Bowler
#1 : August 21, 2007, 11:30:08 PM

As the Michael Vick situation unraveled yesterday I watched much of the coverage on ESPN, and the comments that the current and former NFL players have made in the media.  After watching the aftermath of the guilty plea, I am thoroughly disgusted with the bulk of what I have heard that is featured on ESPN from current players and many pundits.  For such a machismo sport, it appears many players and experts alike need to man-up and call this situation for what it is.......A heinous and sick crime, and call Michael Vick what he is.... a stupid sick person that gets his rocks off by watching two dogs maul each other.

Listening to the much of the sports talk on TV and radio over the past several days have produced many vigorous conversations.  Mostly, people talk about Michael Vick as this has happened to him.  The last I heard he does not have cancer (maybe herpes) or did not come down with some death threatening illness.  He is not your brother as many teammates have said that hung out with the wrong people or got into a bad situation.  This guy did not pull a Pittman and go crazy during an argument.  This was a deliberate act over many years which he showed total disregard for the gifts he was granted.  Vick put himself in this situation because he is the king of stupid! 

The origin of the dog fighting ring goes back several years as Vick entered the league.  Top on my list if I win the lottery is not to begin an illegal do fighting ring.  Many superstars piss away their money on women, boos, and extravagance.  However, Vick decided after winning the NFL lottery to be the best illegal dog fighter in the world.  If you need to gamble so bad take up golf like MJ or buy a home in Vegas.

This isn't a stupid mistake which you can ask forgiveness and have a PR strategy for redemption like many folks have suggested.  People saying he needs to make amends by taking accountability and being a spokesperson for animal rights make me laugh as was suggested on the Monday Night Countdown set yesterday.  Would anybody actually believe him?  He could be in a commercial with a bunch of puppies speaking against animal cruelty and you know what he would be thinking.....This one would make a champion fighter or show that poodle whose boss.  Mike Vick needs help and probably treatment.

Overall, Mike Vick is the king of stupid and a cruel person.  My dog annoys me, but she is part of the family which she would protect with her life and I love her for it.  I am not some PETA freak, but the way in which the media and players have commented on the situation has really annoyed me.  I would be proud of the individual player or former player that would man-up and call Mike Vick for what he is.....America's dumbest criminal.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#2 : August 21, 2007, 11:35:00 PM

clap....clap...clap..clapclapclapclapclap...thunderous applause

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#3 : August 21, 2007, 11:37:45 PM

There is no way a player is going to say that.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#4 : August 22, 2007, 01:02:50 AM

????

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#5 : August 22, 2007, 02:12:19 AM

Why would a player say that? This situation has been laid out for everyone and he's getting what's coming to him. If a player goes off on a rant about how dumb Vick is, it just brings an unnecessary light on him. Just like Monday night when they asked Peyton, one of the smarter more articulate guys in the league, about the situation. He just shook his head and figuratively ran away from the subject. That's Vick's problem, let it stay that way and don't get involved.

This guy did not pull a Pittman and go crazy during an argument.

What Pittman did is unacceptable, as is what Vick did. Pitt gets no brownie points from me for being stupid "in the heat of the moment".

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#6 : August 22, 2007, 02:40:25 AM

What Pittman did is unaceptable but it is apples to elephants compared to Vick.  Just no comparison. Vick engaged in a premeditated long term criminal and barbaric activity that lasted over several years.  He had hundreds of opportunities to quit and he continued.  Pittman has already stated that if he could get that moment back he would have acted differently. Vick had thousands of moments to rethink and he continued on a barbaric path. 

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#7 : August 22, 2007, 02:54:47 AM

What Pittman did is unaceptable but it is apples to elephants compared to Vick.  Just no comparison. Vick engaged in a premeditated long term criminal and barbaric activity that lasted over several years.  He had hundreds of opportunities to quit and he continued.  Pittman has already stated that if he could get that moment back he would have acted differently. Vick had thousands of moments to rethink and he continued on a barbaric path.

And their punishments prove the difference, but let's not start making excuses for Pitt. If you stab someone in a fit of rage, and if you do after plotting over a long amount of time, the act is still the same. What Pittman did wasn't as bad as this, but it wasn't as bad a lot of guys' offenses. Doesn't mean we should paint what Pittman did in a more favorable light here. Stick to Vick.

LtFox

Starter

#8 : August 22, 2007, 07:07:58 AM

Overall, Mike Vick is the king of stupid and a cruel person. My dog annoys me, but she is part of the family which she would protect with her life and I love her for it. I am not some PETA freak, but the way in which the media and players have commented on the situation has really annoyed me. I would be proud of the individual player or former player that would man-up and call Mike Vick for what he is.....America's dumbest criminal.

Oh....you mean that comment from one of his teammates that stated, "They are his dogs...shouldn't he be able to do what he wants with them?" I almost fell out of my seat. If you take that same phrase and substitute "kids" for "dogs" you will truly see the ignorance in such a statement. Just because you possess something....well you get the point.

As far as others side stepping the issue, I understand that in a way. These guys knew (and I am assuming liked) Vick personally. If a friend or family member real screws up you still like / love them while still hating what they did. You would probably be less likely to "vent" your disapproval in the media. I think it is fair to say that most NFL players are angry like the rest of us.

cobraboy

Second String

#9 : August 22, 2007, 07:20:19 AM

As heinous as dog fighting is, the real issue as far as the NFL is concerned is gambling. That is what affects "the integrity of the game."

Imagine if Vick hadn't been caught, and one of his esteemed dog fighting/gambling "colleagues" came to Vick and told him if he didn't do something next week against the Kitties, like fumble a couple of times or throw a couple of picks at an "inopportune" moment, he'll start leaking stuff about his off-field activities, and wreck his career.

Kinda puts Vick in an ugly situation, doesn't it?

THAT is the crux of the issue in the eyes of the NFL.

Every camp has former FBI agents and NFL security folks give a mandatory "chat" with the entire team, describing how gambling and "friends" can compromise them. Vick has heard this talk every year he's been in the league. It's not like he didn't know the possibilities.

Dog fighting is a PR issue for the league, but can be mitigated. But illegal gambling can damage the league to it's core. Just ask the NBA how one rotten ref has affected the integrity of THEIR game.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#10 : August 22, 2007, 08:10:22 AM

????
I have heard at least 30 players interviewed and each of them either A, Didn't want to comment or B said "I hope it works out for Mike in the end".

wolfet

Pro Bowler
#11 : August 22, 2007, 08:23:13 AM

Overall, Mike Vick is the king of stupid and a cruel person. My dog annoys me, but she is part of the family which she would protect with her life and I love her for it. I am not some PETA freak, but the way in which the media and players have commented on the situation has really annoyed me. I would be proud of the individual player or former player that would man-up and call Mike Vick for what he is.....America's dumbest criminal.

Oh....you mean that comment from one of his teammates that stated, "They are his dogs...shouldn't he be able to do what he wants with them?" I almost fell out of my seat. If you take that same phrase and substitute "kids" for "dogs" you will truly see the ignorance in such a statement. Just because you possess something....well you get the point.

As far as others side stepping the issue, I understand that in a way. These guys knew (and I am assuming liked) Vick personally. If a friend or family member real screws up you still like / love them while still hating what they did. You would probably be less likely to "vent" your disapproval in the media. I think it is fair to say that most NFL players are angry like the rest of us.

Exactly the type of comment I was talking about.  I can understand his teamates saying they hopes it works out, but it would be nice to see a couple of folks stand-up and call him what he is.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 22, 2007, 08:50:43 AM

Stephon Marbury needed to get the memo:

"They don't say anything about people who shoot deers or shoot other animals.  You know, I mean, from what I hear, dog fighting is a sport.  It's just behind closed doors."

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

LtFox

Starter

#13 : August 22, 2007, 10:00:24 AM

As heinous as dog fighting is, the real issue as far as the NFL is concerned is gambling. That is what affects "the integrity of the game."

Imagine if Vick hadn't been caught, and one of his esteemed dog fighting/gambling "colleagues" came to Vick and told him if he didn't do something next week against the Kitties, like fumble a couple of times or throw a couple of picks at an "inopportune" moment, he'll start leaking stuff about his off-field activities, and wreck his career.

Every camp has former FBI agents and NFL security folks give a mandatory "chat" with the entire team, describing how gambling and "friends" can compromise them. Vick has heard this talk every year he's been in the league. It's not like he didn't know the possibilities.

Dog fighting is a PR issue for the league, but can be mitigated. But illegal gambling can damage the league to it's core. Just ask the NBA how one rotten ref has affected the integrity of THEIR game.

I completely disagree. I don't think the gambling angle is anywhere near as appalling (to the NFL) as the cruelty issue. This whole mess reflects poorly on the NFL. It is a business and they are trying to build a brand. Vick, who was arguably one of the sports most popular players, has damaged the league by being involved in something so disgusting. I am sure the gambling issue has been discussed, but I doubt there is even any evidence to support the notion that Vick ever "threw" games.

cobraboy

Second String

#14 : August 22, 2007, 10:40:28 AM

I completely disagree. I don't think the gambling angle is anywhere near as appalling (to the NFL) as the cruelty issue. This whole mess reflects poorly on the NFL. It is a business and they are trying to build a brand. Vick, who was arguably one of the sports most popular players, has damaged the league by being involved in something so disgusting. I am sure the gambling issue has been discussed, but I doubt there is even any evidence to support the notion that Vick ever "threw" games.
I am not saying he threw games. BUT, as the NFL secirity guys point out every year for every NFL player, illegal gambling puts you in a compromised position, effecting the integrity of the game. Ask David Stern.

I am not discounting the whole sordid affair. But the dogffighting is a PR issue; the illegal gambling effects the integrity of the game.

But how do we know he HASN'T thrown games? I'm not saying he has at all. But it gives you pause, if he was involved with low-life gamblers as that NBA ref was...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Memo to media and players (current or former) commenting on Vick........ « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools